Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Heater Lidl- Advice needed

Options
  • 04-04-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice. I purchased a heater from Lidl about 2 years ago. I remember it costing about €15 at the time.
    Last November the fan heater melted at the base and burned my floor. The thermostat failed to kick in and knock it off. Luckily the socket tripped the switch at the fuse board after the plastic base and internal wiring had melted. If the heater had been on a carpeted floor I reckon a house fire would have followed.

I emailed Lidl to explain what had happened. They asked me to post it to their head office, which I did at a cost of about €7. I received three letters between December and March apologising for the delay and that they were taking the matter up with their supplier, Lervia.

Last month I received a letter saying that, as a gesture of good will, they would forward on vouchers to my home address. After two weeks I emailed them enquiring whether these had been sent as I had not received them. The €20 voucher arrived on the 29th March with a letter dated €28th March.

To be honest I feel like they are just trying to fob me off. I have received no update as to where my heater is now or what the cause the malfunction was.

The cost of repairing the floor, the cost of the heater and postage exceeds €20 so I do feel a bit insulted to be honest. Any ideas or advice on what I should do would be appreciated. Sorry for the long thread!

Any questions, please ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Send a registered letter to the head office giving them 10 days to cover the losses you have incurred due to the heater or you will have to seek legal advice. Send in any receipts you have for floor etc.

If they don't cover it, they are basically saying they are not responsible. If they have had no other complaints about the same heater they may think you did something to it. You may have to contact a solicitor. I don't think the small claims court is any good to you as they will only award the €17 you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Thanks for that wmpdd3. They have asked for photos of the damage to the floor which I am unable to locate at present. It was over four months ago at this stage so I sanded the floors and varnished them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without any evidence of what happened, you're not going to get anywhere. Since the damage has been repaired you are going to have to find those pictures, and have receipts for all the repair work/materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I've seen these things drag on for ages, tehy won't pay out until they can make a full and final settlement.

They can't do this until they have everything.

If they don't get everything the legal dept will just pass it back to Customer service and they'll just lash out a voucher.

Advertisement