Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone??

Options
  • 04-04-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Looking at upgrading my phone, cant decide between an iPhone4 and Nokia N8.

Any suggestions people??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

We get a lot of threads asking for phone recommendations on this forum. And that's what it is for.

However, some threads simply ask "What's the best phone" or "Is phone X better than phone Y".

As Einstein might say, it's all relative.

So, when asking for a phone recommendations, help us to help you. To get a good recommendation, we will need the following information at a minimum:

• What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth,Apps)
    • Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    • Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    • Operator - have you an operator preference
    • Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    • Price range
    Fill this out it will be easier to help you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

stay away from nokia for at least a year or 2, going through big changes at the moment youll regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hightower86

well i was looking at joining 3 on bill pay, im currently with o2 at the minute but find their billpay doesnt suit my needs...looking at a touchscreen phone, and would mainly be using the phone for internet, music etc...

although ive heard good things about the apps on the iphone, there not the most important factor and i do find the iphone4 to be quite chunky hence why i was drawn to the smaller/slimmer nokia n8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I myself shall be getting a new phone this week.
    I can't decide between the HTC Desire or the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.
    I'll be on meteor bill pay.
    I'd like a good camera as i have young kids and want to video them growing up.
    I'll be using it for internet but not all the time.
    Price range isn't important. I don't mind paying a little extra if its the right phone.
    I don't want anything too big or chunky as in i found the HTC desire HD too big

Any help greatly appreciated as this will be my first Smart phone:)

well i was looking at joining 3 on bill pay, im currently with o2 at the minute but find their billpay doesnt suit my needs...looking at a touchscreen phone, and would mainly be using the phone for internet, music etc...

although ive heard good things about the apps on the iphone, there not the most important factor and i do find the iphone4 to be quite chunky hence why i was drawn to the smaller/slimmer nokia n8.

Nokia N8 Measurements - 4.47 x 2.32 x 0.51 (113.5 x 59 x 12.9 mm)
    iPhone 4 Measurements - 4.50 x 2.31 x 0.37 (114.3 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm)

iPhone is stightly taller but alot slimmer. Ill do make a point most of the sizes are nearly identical and differenciate by a couple of mm's so its not massive difference, unless you got very small hands. Generally a bigger screen makes it easier to browse the web and especially type cause of larger real estate. My house mate has N8. But the only real feature that he ever mention that he loved was the camera and the FM transmitter for playing music in the car. After a few months he wanted to get rid of it cause it kept slowing down and battery life wasnt great either.

From those two i would rather pick the iPhone if you dont care about pictures that much.
    amiable wrote: »
    I myself shall be getting a new phone this week.
    I can't decide between the HTC Desire or the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.
    I'll be on meteor bill pay.
    I'd like a good camera as i have young kids and want to video them growing up.
    I'll be using it for internet but not all the time.
    Price range isn't important. I don't mind paying a little extra if its the right phone.
    I don't want anything too big or chunky as in i found the HTC desire HD too big

Any help greatly appreciated as this will be my first Smart phone:)

Again the size difference isnt that big between Desire HD and Xperia Arc.

Camera quality on the Arc isnt bad by no means and Sony Erricson seem to have stepped up the bar with the Arc this time.

Though if pictures are the main concern the two stand either xperia arc or nokia n8. HTC dont have great picture quality. Their reasonable but not something you would fall over.

You can read a review of the Arc here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If web/music is your main usage then I'd say the iPhone is head and shoulders over the N8. Symbian is a very clunky OS (no surprise Nokia are going Windows Phone 7). iOS 4 is very slick to use.

When I saw the retina display on the iPhone 4 I made my mind up. It looks amazing. You can see more text on screen and it's far sharper. That's a big deal when surfing the web, viewing photos/video or writing email.

BTW, the iPhone 4 is slimmer than the N8!

This is a good comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcHYZsbrK8A

Thanks Evolutionqy7, i had just read that review minutes before your post.
    I think i'll go for the Sony Experia Arc:)

Thanks again for your help

amiable wrote: »
    Thanks Evolutionqy7, i had just read that review minutes before your post.
    I think i'll go for the Sony Experia Arc:)

Thanks again for your help

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I just upgraded to the N8 and its deadly!!!! I wouldnt swop it for an iphone and Im a Apple fan!!

I just got the Sony Xperia Arc.
    Sold out in the Meteor shop on Shop Street in Glaway.
    They went and got it in another store for me.
    Haven't used it yet. I'll wait til i'm home later to check it out properly:)

It seems to be very popular

• Advertisement

Well its one of them most pretty phones out there. As well as having the newest google android operating systems.

Though having said that shortage doesnt mean its popular :) It just might be a supply issue as most new smartphones have in Ireland.

Well its one of them most pretty phones out there. As well as having the newest google android operating systems.

Though having said that shortage doesnt mean its popular :) It just might be a supply issue as most new smartphones have in Ireland.
    True. The girl in the shop said they sold a sh1t load of them yesterday for some reason.
    I'm happy out and i'm predicting i'll be hooked to android now:)

Just an update on my new phone the Sony Xperia Arc. ITs amazing. Really happy with it.:)
    I'd definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I really liked what SonyEricsson did with their earlier Android phones: it showed some thought about what people want to do, rather than just making it look shiny (HTC) or aping whatever Apple did (Samsung).

SE always made good phones too, so well wear!

Wouldnt agree on that. Considering X10, X10 Mini didnt do good at all. X8 was an improvement.

And Xperia Arc is what it should be like. No one wants to scroll through 100's of 3D cards. They want things nice shiny and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The fact that they're launching them with the latest firmware is a much welcome improvement really, whatever about the hardware! When the x8 was launched last autumn, it was shipping with 1.6 when plenty phones had 2.2! There must be someone new in charge now though, they're even giving the x10 a gingerbread update, and few would have believed that a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

The Arc has probably the best camera just behind the N8 (from what I've heard) and supposedly they're even using the CMOS sensor in the Arc on the next iPhone. :p

Amiable - hows the pictures coming out? ;):D

Picture quality is excellent. I'm very happy with the phone all round except the battery life which is to be expected:)

Advertisement