Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Business Starter only connecting at 1mb

Options
  • 04-04-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Our connection used to run at 2-3mb until recently. Switched to Eircom Business Starter (8mb), and the broadband always connects at exactly 1mb now.

Could you please look into this? The phone number the broadband is on is 0949632558. Could you change the profile to 8mb down/1.1mb up and see how fast it will connect at? There's no phone connected to that number, hence I'm posting it here.

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

This is what my Zyxel DSL modem currently reports:

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 1024 kbps /128 kbps
    DSL Noise Margin: 21 dB /15 dB

My old Netopia modem reported slightly better (higher) noise margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Hello,

Our connection used to run at 2-3mb until recently. Switched to Eircom Business Starter (8mb), and the broadband always connects at exactly 1mb now.

Could you please look into this? The phone number the broadband is on is xxx xxxxxxx. Could you change the profile to 8mb down/1.1mb up and see how fast it will connect at? There's no phone connected to that number, hence I'm posting it here.

Matt
    Hi Matt Bauer
    It appears that your line is set at 1Mb though it is possible it will get approx 2Mb.. A hard re set of modem may offer a slightly higher speed and you can go through the following proceedures here which may help increase speeds.
    If these do not offer better performance I would advise calling tech support and asking them to re set this for you. They may advise against this as it may cause less stability and therefore dropping in connection, but worth a try.
    Before calling them, connect to main phone socket via ethernet cable.
    Let me know if any problem with this.
    Tony

Hello Tony, thank you for getting back to me. I have tried a hard reset of the modem, along with the steps in your guide. The modem is the only device connected to the phone socket. This phone line is used exclusively for broadband, and there isn't even a phone connected. I have tried both without and with the Eircom splitter.

I think the problem is that although the modem could connect at 2 or 3mb fine, it won't because the profile is forced at 1mb.

Could you please change my profile to a faster one and I will do another hard reset?

Hello Tony, thank you for getting back to me. I have tried a hard reset of the modem, along with the steps in your guide. The modem is the only device connected to the phone socket. This phone line is used exclusively for broadband, and there isn't even a phone connected. I have tried both without and with the Eircom splitter.

I think the problem is that although the modem could connect at 2 or 3mb fine, it won't because the profile is forced at 1mb.

Could you please change my profile to a faster one and I will do another hard reset?

Hi Matt Bauer
    I am afraid that you will have to call tech support on 1890260260 to arrange this and as I mentioned they may advise against it..give them same info you gave here. Hope they can do something and if any problem with this post me here.
    Tony

I cannot find my Eircom account number anywhere, and they won't help me without it. What can I do? Paying €40 + VAT + Line Rental for 8mb/1.1mb, and it is much slower than it should be because the profile is forced at 1mb and no one will help.

• Advertisement

I cannot find my Eircom account number anywhere, and they won't help me without it. What can I do? Paying €40 + VAT + Line Rental for 8mb/1.1mb, and it is much slower than it should be because the profile is forced at 1mb and no one will help.

Hi Matt Bauer
    your account number would be on your eircom bill or your eircom contract, if you do not have this you will have to call customer support on 1901 and give name, address and tel. no. They will then post this out to you.
    The reaason for this is basically security, your account no. is valuable data. Tech suport have to ask you for your accopunt number also as you are requesting an account profile change.
    Let me know if you still cannot get this,
    Tony

I contacted 1901, but they said they cannot mail me out my Eircom account number, and it will take several weeks for me to get my first bill. I never got any contract.

Does that mean I will be stuck with slow broadband for several weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Plug a phone into the broadband line and ring them from that and they may not ask for details - I've never had to supply my account number when ringing broadband support from my business broadband line anyway.

I contacted 1901, but they said they cannot mail me out my Eircom account number, and it will take several weeks for me to get my first bill. I never got any contract.

Does that mean I will be stuck with slow broadband for several weeks?

Hi Matt Bauer
    apologies for that, they may not have been able to see account number as line not with eircom, however we have sent this out to you now and you should get this within 2/5 days.
    bkehoe is correct when he states that you do not always need an account number when reporting a fault, in this case however you will be asking to make a change to account profile and this does require confirmation from account holder.
    Let me know if you do not recieve mail within this time.
    Tony

bkehoe: thanks, I followed your advice and called from a phone that I connected directly to the line. I now found out Eircom put me on the wrong package, which explains why I am now only synching at 1mb, instead of the 2-3mb that I was before. They put me on the 1mb business package, and not Eircom Business Starter.

But there is nothing they can do about it until I receive my account number.

Just an aside: I ordered broadband from Eircom already over a month ago, but that time they just "lost" my order and could find no record of it. I had to put in my order twice.

• Advertisement

bkehoe: thanks, I followed your advice and called from a phone that I connected directly to the line. I now found out Eircom put me on the wrong package, which explains why I am now only synching at 1mb, instead of the 2-3mb that I was before. They put me on the 1mb business package, and not Eircom Business Starter.

But there is nothing they can do about it until I receive my account number.

Just an aside: I ordered broadband from Eircom already over a month ago, but that time they just "lost" my order and could find no record of it. I had to put in my order twice.

Hi Matt Bauer
    My apologies for any error in providing this package. If you would like me to ensure you have been placed on correct package send on your account number as soon as you have recieved it.
    Tony

I will PM you my account number as soon as I receive it. As of today, unfortunately it has not arrived yet. Also, can you please make sure that as a new customer (we were with Vodafone before) I get the 2 months free as stated on http://business.eircom.net/broadband/ for the Business Starter package, since I am worried I might lose this since I was initially put on the wrong package?

Tony, I have PMd you our Eircom Account Number. It ends in 2744.

Tony, I have PMd you our Eircom Account Number. It ends in 2744.

Thanks Matt Bauer,
    yes have your details now and will ask that this order be put through.
    Tony

Thank you Tony.

Tony, any update on this? The internet is painful at 1mb, feels like 10 times slower than the 2mb we had before. ;)

Tony, has there been any update about our situation? There's plenty of margin on the line but we are still only connecting at 1mb.

Tony, has there been any update about our situation? There's plenty of margin on the line but we are still only connecting at 1mb.
    Mi Matt
    have PM'd you now. Still chasing.
    Tony

Thank you Tony. Today the router is showing the following margins:

DSL Noise Margin: 22 dB /17 dB

From my understanding, DSL can often maintain a stable connection down to a line margin as low as 6-8 dB. So the line should be capable of plenty more speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thank you Tony. Today the router is showing the following margins:

DSL Noise Margin: 22 dB /17 dB

From my understanding, DSL can often maintain a stable connection down to a line margin as low as 6-8 dB. So the line should be capable of plenty more speed.

Hi Matt,

Tony asked me to follow up on the change of package for you as the line is with another provider we need make them aware of the change through a body called wholesale.

In regards to the speed capacity of your line. Your address is outside the optimum radius from the Ballyhaunis exchange in Mayo thet the distance means the broadband speed is limited to 1MB.

I will let you know when the change of package has completed increasing your upload / Download usage.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Mark, the line was 100% stable at 2mb for years, and as you can see from my stats it's got plenty of noise margin (Eircom recently even came out and replaced about 250 metres of copper as there was a minor insulation fault). I think it's just that the profile got changed, which would explain why it's so slow now.

Once I'm upgraded, can we try to just leave it on a higher profile and see what speed it connects at? Thanks.

Also, when they change the package, can they make sure I get the 2 months free broadband rental that I applied for? I'm just worried they might forget to put it on since this is only valid for customers who are switching to Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Mark, the line was 100% stable at 2mb for years, and as you can see from my stats it's got plenty of noise margin (Eircom recently even came out and replaced about 250 metres of copper as there was a minor insulation fault). I think it's just that the profile got changed, which would explain why it's so slow now.

Once I'm upgraded, can we try to just leave it on a higher profile and see what speed it connects at? Thanks.

Also, when they change the package, can they make sure I get the 2 months free broadband rental that I applied for? I'm just worried they might forget to put it on since this is only valid for customers who are switching to Eircom.

Hi Matt,

I will need to talk to Tony to insure I get the full history of your case. However there is no problem in checking with business broadband support when the package has been changed.

We will follow up with you by the end of the week.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks. Any update? Still stuck at 1mb here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks. Any update? Still stuck at 1mb here.

Hi Matt,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on Boards.

Will check to see if further update and will advise shortly.

All the best,

Ant

Any update on this? I'm still stuck on the 1mb profile, it's painful having such a slow connection! It's now been several weeks of slow internet.

Any update on this? I'm still stuck on the 1mb profile, it's painful having such a slow connection! It's now been several weeks of slow internet.

Hi Matt
    apologies for not answering here, had PM'd you response.. see below, sorry could not do more..

afraid not Matt
    that is the route I had first taken. Have been advised by technical staff and product section that 1mb is the capacity of your line.
    Tony

How has switching my DSL from Vodafone to Eircom reduced the capacity of the line? Has a fault developed on the line that needs to be repaired? It used to always connect at 2mb until a few weeks ago, and was 100% stable at that speed. Speedtest.net used to report 1.8 Mbps, whereas now I'm lucky if it reports 0.8 Mbps. Web browsing, even just going to rte.ie, is much much slower.

What happened to my line?

Edit: If it's of any help, my Vodafone modem used to report that the maximum sync rate of the line as 2.8 Mbps down and 0.9 Mbps up. During severe storms this sometimes dropped down to 2.5 Mbps.

How has switching my DSL from Vodafone to Eircom reduced the capacity of the line? Has a fault developed on the line that needs to be repaired? It used to always connect at 2mb until a few weeks ago, and was 100% stable at that speed. Speedtest.net used to report 1.8 Mbps, whereas now I'm lucky if it reports 0.8 Mbps. Web browsing, even just going to rte.ie, is much much slower.

What happened to my line?

Edit: If it's of any help, my Vodafone modem used to report that the maximum sync rate of the line as 2.8 Mbps down and 0.9 Mbps up. During severe storms this sometimes dropped down to 2.5 Mbps.

Hi Matt Bauer
    well line capacity is approx 2Mb but to set line at this limit may cause dis-connections.. Have had a few tests carried out on line and apart from the fact that it is quite far from exchange ( which does affect speeds) there are no line issues.
    Have asked tech support to have a look at your profile again, but as you know they have advised that your current speed is the most appropriate for line.
    Will get back to you either today or tomorrow.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

But Matt has said that when on vodafone its was stable as set to 2Mb?

Its worth a shot to set it a 2Mb and see if it will disconnect if it does Matt can request it to be dropped to a lower speed?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

I have an amazing 0.64 download with eircom . the pony express is faster!!!!

Advertisement