Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Business Starter only connecting at 1mb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

jay93 wrote: »
    But Matt has said that when on vodafone its was stable as set to 2Mb?

Its worth a shot to set it a 2Mb and see if it will disconnect if it does Matt can request it to be dropped to a lower speed?:)
    Hi Jay93
    yes have asked tech support to see if this is possible. Up to now have been advised against doing so.. Should have reply soon.
    Tony

kinvara64 wrote: »
    I have an amazing 0.64 download with eircom . the pony express is faster!!!!

Hi kinvara64
    If you PM your line no I can test to see if any way to up this speed. Cannot promise but can certainly try.
    Tony

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    How has switching my DSL from Vodafone to Eircom reduced the capacity of the line? Has a fault developed on the line that needs to be repaired? It used to always connect at 2mb until a few weeks ago, and was 100% stable at that speed. Speedtest.net used to report 1.8 Mbps, whereas now I'm lucky if it reports 0.8 Mbps. Web browsing, even just going to rte.ie, is much much slower.

What happened to my line?

Edit: If it's of any help, my Vodafone modem used to report that the maximum sync rate of the line as 2.8 Mbps down and 0.9 Mbps up. During severe storms this sometimes dropped down to 2.5 Mbps.

Hi Matt Bauer
    I am afraid that ther answer is definite. As your line only qualifies for 1Mb you are on the Business lite package which offers only the 1Mb speed. Tech support have advised me that for you to changed package to the higher 3Mb and attempt to get higher speed ( of up to 2Mb) will not work. That the line will not be stable enough to provide this.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Hi Matt Bauer
    I am afraid that ther answer is definite. As your line only qualifies for 1Mb you are on the Business lite package which offers only the 1Mb speed. Tech support have advised me that for you to changed package to the higher 3Mb and attempt to get higher speed ( of up to 2Mb) will not work. That the line will not be stable enough to provide this.
    Tony

Hello Tony, then I might as well cancel the line. Could you at least find out why the line has degraded that much? How can I line degrade so quickly just by switching providers?

The line is still very bad, and nobody knows how it could degrade from nearly 3mb to only 1mb. Tony, is there any news about this?

• Advertisement

The line is still very bad, and nobody knows how it could degrade from nearly 3mb to only 1mb. Tony, is there any news about this?

Hi Matt Bauer
    afraid I have no further information on this, it is possible that you were on a higher package than your current 1Mb and able to get 1Mb or a little more but tech support cannot see how you were getting 2 or 3Mb on that line.
    I have asked them to see if any answer to this query and will update you as soon as I get an answer.
    Tony

Tony, my Vodafone modem used to report a maximum synch rate of 2.8 Mb, and I consistently got over 200 kB/sec when downloading files. Speedtest.net reported speeds of between 1.8 and 1.9 Megabits. The connection was stable, although the modem would overheat and need to be restarted from time to time. This was a common issue with that particular modem, and usually only happened every few weeks.

Now I'm lucky if Speedtest reports 0.8 Megabits, and sending an email with an attachment chokes the connection to the point where sending the email may fail altogether. No such problem before.

Something somewhere has changed.

Edit: I noticed driving to town today that one of the telegraph poles holding the line up has partially toppled over. Could this be causing the problems, or just a coincidence?

Tony, my Vodafone modem used to report a maximum synch rate of 2.8 Mb, and I consistently got over 200 kB/sec when downloading files. Speedtest.net reported speeds of between 1.8 and 1.9 Megabits. The connection was stable, although the modem would overheat and need to be restarted from time to time. This was a common issue with that particular modem, and usually only happened every few weeks.

Now I'm lucky if Speedtest reports 0.8 Megabits, and sending an email with an attachment chokes the connection to the point where sending the email may fail altogether. No such problem before.

Edit: I noticed driving to town today that one of the telegraph poles holding the line up has partially toppled over. Could this be causing the problems, or just a coincidence?

Hi Matt Bauer
    absolutely not. The tests we have done on your line, sync, connection have been extensive, any issue on line would be identified, certainly a pole down.
    I would imagine this pole is a result of the weather and will be put right by polling crew.
    I have sent this back to be investigated again, but tests to prove line degredation are pretty conclusive and would show up immediately. This does not appear to be the issue.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

With that signal margin, there is no problem in using at least 2 mbps on that line

Eircom, that is complete bull****. 22dB of signal margin is a massive amount. Most lines don't even have that if you check your own statistics.

Why has this line been limited to 1 mbps? Tech support may "not understand" why the line worked fine at over 2 mbps before but their ignorance is no reason to stunt a customer's line like this. It's inherently able to handle these speeds if it could handle them before.

Lines need 0dB of signal margin, it's called signal margin because it's that value which the line can spare before increasing electrical noise interferes with the DSL connection. Most suppliers including eircom force a minimum signal margin of 6dB to give added stability to the line.

Speedtest.net is not accurate and also doesn't take into account IP overheads etc. An eircom line will never get more than 0.87 "mb/s" on speedtest.net per mbps of what eircom's modem report. Even 8 meg customers will never get 7 mbps on the speedtest website.

But eircom, that is completely lamentable. That line is of very good quality and can handle a decent increase in speed but I'd need the attenuation values to work out to what extent. Why can't the line be upped to 2 mbps and then we'll see if it's unreliable or not? If there are problems it's only a flick of a switch to bring it back down to 1 mbps.

If eircom's tech support don't move on this then I suggest the customer go down the route of an offical complaint. If that doesn't work, Comreg can then be contacted.

Hi Matt Bauer
    am now pursusing this with Broadband Product section for advice and hope to have more info later today or early next week.
    Tony

• Advertisement

To_be_confirmed, I agree. This is backed up by the fact that my line used to be 100% stable at 2MB for years, and in fact the modem reported a max sync rate of nearly 3MB. It's only recently that my profile has been changed to 1MB. I used to be able to send email attachments, even watch YouTube videos and transfer large files without any problem. Now tasks like that time time out and everything feels horribly slow. Even just downloading the main page of "rte.ie" takes much longer. Pings are jumpy, where they used to be stable. This means VoIP is no longer possible.

Tony just sent me a PM saying that it's out of their hands, because ComReg has forced them to slow down my line. I think it's an utter disgrace that ComReg is forcing Eircom to make the broadband in this country even slower.

An open question to ComReg: Why are you slowing down my phone line with ~20 db margin? Why did you choose to cap my line at 1MB now, when you did not interfere with my phone line for years? If this is true, they should be abolished posthaste.

To_be_confirmed, I agree. This is backed up by the fact that my line used to be 100% stable at 2MB for years, and in fact the modem reported a max sync rate of nearly 3MB. It's only recently that my profile has been changed to 1MB. I used to be able to send email attachments, even watch YouTube videos and transfer large files without any problem. Now tasks like that time time out and everything feels horribly slow. Even just downloading the main page of "rte.ie" takes much longer. Pings are jumpy, where they used to be stable. This means VoIP is no longer possible.

Tony just sent me a PM saying that it's out of their hands, because ComReg has forced them to slow down my line. I think it's an utter disgrace that ComReg is forcing Eircom to make the broadband in this country even slower.

An open question to ComReg: Why are you slowing down my phone line with ~20 db margin? Why did you choose to cap my line at 1MB now, when you did not interfere with my phone line for years? If this is true, they should be abolished posthaste.
    Really... That is the pits:rolleyes:

Perhaps a call to ComReg is in order?

Really... That is the pits:rolleyes:

Perhaps a call to ComReg is in order?

Good idea, I will contact ComReg. I hope they can make an exception and allow Eircom to provide the speed to me that the line is capable of.

I never knew that ComReg were asking broadband providers to limit the speed of a service when there is no technical reason to do so. Seems utterly disgraceful. If anything, they should be doing the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

22db of signal margin should be sufficent as stated above

my line operates on 6db of signal margin and pulls in 17.8mb stable sync

Hi Matt Bauer
    I thought I'd better repeat what I posted to you regarding the provision of higher package on your line.
    'Technically speaking we can only sell our BB to customers who reside within the specified DSL guidelines / limits. In this case, we would be bending the rules laid down by Com Reg to attempt to provision higher grade service'.
    ComReg in no way affect the speeds that can be provided but do regulate the market to provide a fair playing field for other telecom providers and to ensure that customers get the best service. Your line speeds indicate to us that any faster package would not be stable and that it would not be proper business conduct to sell a higher package.
    This is a business regulatary issue rather than any curtalling of technical development.
    I hope this helps to clarify the position before you call them. Let me know how you get on.
    Tony

The line speeds do not indicate this according to the modem. The modem's statistics show it's more than adequate. Can we be supplied with a more comprehensive reason than "because we say so"?? I don't think the "indication" that the line would not be stable at higher speeds exists on the evidence produced thus far. So why don't we see a more comprehensive check?

What are eircom's values in this case and why do they differ with what the modem here reports??

It makes no sense whatsoever to say that rules are being "bent" when this is a condition being laid down by eircom wholesale for no reason whatsoever.

I suggest that Matt Bauer go to Comreg and complain about eircom wholesale's behaviour in this case. It has been proven that the line works at a higher speed with no issues, and yet eircom try to argue that night is day.

So eircom, how can you ignore that the line worked at a higher speed before? Have you lost your senses? He's already said it's worked fine before!! It's not voodoo magic, just common sense.

The line speeds do not indicate this according to the modem. The modem's statistics show it's more than adequate. Can we be supplied with a more comprehensive reason than "because we say so"?? I don't think the "indication" that the line would not be stable at higher speeds exists on the evidence produced thus far. So why don't we see a more comprehensive check?

What are eircom's values in this case and why do they differ with what the modem here reports??

It makes no sense whatsoever to say that rules are being "bent" when this is a condition being laid down by eircom wholesale for no reason whatsoever.

I suggest that Matt Bauer go to Comreg and complain about eircom wholesale's behaviour in this case. It has been proven that the line works at a higher speed with no issues, and yet eircom try to argue that night is day.

So eircom, how can you ignore that the line worked at a higher speed before? Have you lost your senses? He's already said it's worked fine before!! It's not voodoo magic, just common sense.

Hi To_be_confirmed
    Our test have shown that while it may be possible that an other provider has provided an up to 3Mb package in the past, that if we were to do so, the customer would not have any benifit in term of speed and may suffer from dis-connects due to package excedding line specifications. This would mean the customer paying for a higher package while recieveing possibly a less stable service.
    If it were a case of up-grading package, why would eircom refuse to up-grade, when that would have saved so much trouble to the customer and would have provided extra revenue for us?
    We are bound by business regulations practice.
    Tony

Hi To_be_confirmed
    Our test have shown that while it may be possible that an other provider has provided an up to 3Mb package in the past, that if we were to do so, the customer would not have any benifit in term of speed and may suffer from dis-connects due to package excedding line specifications. This would mean the customer paying for a higher package while recieveing possibly a less stable service.
    If it were a case of up-grading package, why would eircom refuse to up-grade, when that would have saved so much trouble to the customer and would have provided extra revenue for us?
    We are bound by business regulations practice.
    Tony
    He's already said it worked at about 2 mbit sure! With no disconnects! You're just ignoring what the customer wants and what he has experienced in favour of a computer test and "business practise". A practice involving some arbitrary attenuation limit being picked even though some lines will work better than others at long distances (e.g. over 6km).

Sure if it does hypothetically have instability, what's to stop it being downgraded again?! It's just a click of a mouse button to change a line speed profile!

He's already said it worked at about 2 mbit sure! With no disconnects! You're just ignoring what the customer wants and what he has experienced in favour of a computer test and "business practise". A practice involving some arbitrary attenuation limit being picked even though some lines will work better than others at long distances (e.g. over 6km).

Sure if it does hypothetically have instability, what's to stop it being downgraded again?! It's just a click of a mouse button to change a line speed profile!

To_be_confirmed do you suggest I ignore the legal issue here and attempt to force a possibly unstable package and charge the customer extra, when in our opinion as the line provider, this will offer a unsatisfactory service?
    These guidelines are there to protect the customer from bad business practice. You did not answer my question as to why we would not do this if it were as easy as you suggest. The answer is we cannot do so.
    If the customer does speak with Com Reg and is given permission to allow us do this I will personally process the order and would be happy to do so. Until then however this case is unfortunately out of my control.
    Tony

To_be_confirmed do you suggest I ignore the legal issue here and attempt to force a possibly unstable package and charge the customer extra, when in our opinion as the line provider, this will offer a unsatisfactory service?
    These guidelines are there to protect the customer from bad business practice. You did not answer my question as to why we would not do this if it were as easy as you suggest. The answer is we cannot do so.
    If the customer does speak with Com Reg and is given permission to allow us do this I will personally process the order and would be happy to do so. Until then however this case is unfortunately out of my control.
    Tony
    The problem here is that a particular opinion is being put forward while ignoring that the modem reports a downstream signal margin of 22dB and that the line has worked at higher speeds successfully before. The signal margin isn't an opinion, it's an empirical measurement which shows that's a very good quality connection capable of higher speed. Unless there is something extra eircom know about the line which they haven't said so far? The signal margin of the modem can't lie. Most DSL sold by eircom and the LLU providers work on the basis that the modem will try to connect with a minimum signal margin of 6dB as lower will lead to more disconnects etc. 22dB is far above this threshold. The only limit in this case is the 1 mbit restriction that eircom wholesale have arbitrarily put on the line. I suspect eircom staff know the significance of signal margin quite well. If the signal margin approaches 0dB, the DSL connection may be dropped. 22dB is a long, long way from disconnection.

The answer "we cannot do so" is disingenuous. It is a matter of changing the line profile of the connection which is with the click of a mouse. If the computer system doesn't allow it then either there is some dubious mandate from ComReg involved or the prequal test is poorly designed or is too conservative. I also thought your question was rhetorical so I did not answer it at first.

There is also a big contradiction there. Firstly it is a case of business practise and then it becomes a matter of contacting ComReg to "obtain permission". Or is it the case that both eircom and ComReg are not interested in offering customer higher speeds where possible for the sake of misguided "opinions"?

It's also ridiculous to say there is a legal principle at stake here unless ComReg have previously issued some sort of directive or regulation on the issue.

So I put it to eircom again, how can they conclude in their "opinion" that the line will offer bad service with higher speed if it has worked at a higher speed before, the modem reports a very healthy connection, the customer has already expressed a desire to get the speeds they paid for reinstated and that eircom could simply change the speed back to 1 mbps if there was a problem anyway?

I already asked once why eircom wouldn't try it and just switch back to 1 mbit if there is a problem after all. No reason has been given for why it wouldn't be possible to try a higher speed at least. Seeing as the line worked at nearly 3 mbps with Vodafone... Or are eircom concluding that it was wrong for Vodafone to offer the higher speed and that there "must have been disconnections" even though Matt Bauer has already said the DSL worked just fine in the past?

• Advertisement

The problem here is that a particular opinion is being put forward while ignoring that the modem reports a downstream signal margin of 22dB and that the line has worked at higher speeds successfully before. The signal margin isn't an opinion, it's an empirical measurement which shows that's a very good quality connection capable of higher speed. Unless there is something extra eircom know about the line which they haven't said so far? The signal margin of the modem can't lie. Most DSL sold by eircom and the LLU providers work on the basis that the modem will try to connect with a minimum signal margin of 6dB as lower will lead to more disconnects etc. 22dB is far above this threshold. The only limit in this case is the 1 mbit restriction that eircom wholesale have arbitrarily put on the line. I suspect eircom staff know the significance of signal margin quite well. If the signal margin approaches 0dB, the DSL connection may be dropped. 22dB is a long, long way from disconnection.

The answer "we cannot do so" is disingenuous. It is a matter of changing the line profile of the connection which is with the click of a mouse. If the computer system doesn't allow it then either there is some dubious mandate from ComReg involved or the prequal test is poorly designed or is too conservative. I also thought your question was rhetorical so I did not answer it at first.

There is also a big contradiction there. Firstly it is a case of business practise and then it becomes a matter of contacting ComReg to "obtain permission". Or is it the case that both eircom and ComReg are not interested in offering customer higher speeds where possible for the sake of misguided "opinions"?

It's also ridiculous to say there is a legal principle at stake here unless ComReg have previously issued some sort of directive or regulation on the issue.

So I put it to eircom again, how can they conclude in their "opinion" that the line will offer bad service with higher speed if it has worked at a higher speed before, the modem reports a very healthy connection, the customer has already expressed a desire to get the speeds they paid for reinstated and that eircom could simply change the speed back to 1 mbps if there was a problem anyway?

I already asked once why eircom wouldn't try it and just switch back to 1 mbit if there is a problem after all. No reason has been given for why it wouldn't be possible to try a higher speed at least. Seeing as the line worked at nearly 3 mbps with Vodafone... Or are eircom concluding that it was wrong for Vodafone to offer the higher speed and that there "must have been disconnections" even though Matt Bauer has already said the DSL worked just fine in the past?

Hi To_be_confirmed
    This question has been answered. If you chose to ignore the fact that it is not within our control to make this change, there is no more I can say.
    Tony

Well, it's clear that this policy is not appropriate for a line that is proven to be able to handle the speed increase. You've offered no evidence to show why this line should be classified as unable to handle a speed increase. Why has this been applied to this line when it wasn't in the past?

Can you at least explain why eircom have reduced the speed of this customer's line when it previously did not experience disconnects?

You haven't explained why you can't increase the speed on this line so far as your reason of possible instability has been proven wrong by the fact it worked before, and the mentioning of ComReg has been ambiguous. It's either Comreg's fault or it's not. Which is it?

Well, it's clear that this policy is not appropriate for a line that is proven to be able to handle the speed increase. You've offered no evidence to show why this line should be classified as unable to handle a speed increase. Why has this been applied to this line when it wasn't in the past? Why have you not explained why the line could handle 3 mbps fine before and now in eircom's "opinion" this has mysteriously changed?

Can you at least explain why eircom have reduced the speed of this customer's line when it previously did not experience disconnects?

Hi To_be_confirmed
    You have read all post re this issue and know that is not the case nor would it make any business sense for us to do as you suggest.
    I have made every attempt to facilitate this for the customer concerned and have explained in detail the reasons why it was not possible. Again you chose to ignore the explaination.
    Tony

Hi To_be_confirmed
    You have read all post re this issue and know that is not the case nor would it make any business sense for us to do as you suggest.
    I have made every attempt to facilitate this for the customer concerned and have explained in detail the reasons why it was not possible. Again you chose to ignore the explaination.
    Tony
    You didn't explain why you think this line may suffer instability when it worked fine at a higher speed before! Can you show me where you did? I remember you saying it was eircom's "opinion" that it would and that was that. You have not explained why this customer would experience possible disconnects when the line stats of the modem clearly show otherwise.

You say that eircom cannot do so and that there are guidelines etc. I am asking why eircom cannot do so if the guideline is clearly inappropriate for this customer. Can you not see where I'm coming from? The reasons you've given don't add up.

Could you at least contact the people responsible for dealing with connections (technical department or eircom wholesale or whoever) and ak why they think this customer is at risk of disconnects if he had his speed restored? Surely you can see there's something wrong here?

You didn't explain why you think this line may suffer instability when it worked fine at a higher speed before! Can you show me where you did? I remember you saying it was eircom's "opinion" that it would and that was that. You have not explained why this customer would experience possible disconnects when the line stats of the modem clearly show otherwise.

You say that eircom cannot do so and that there are guidelines etc. I am asking why eircom cannot do so if the guideline is clearly inappropriate for this customer. Can you not see where I'm coming from? The reasons you've given don't add up.

Could you at least contact the people responsible for dealing with connections (technical department or eircom wholesale or whoever) and ak why they think this customer is at risk of disconnects if he had his speed restored? Surely you can see there's something wrong here?

To_be_confirmed
    I do see where you are coming from and do understand that if the guidelines in this case appear to be 'inappropriate' it still leaves us with binding regulations which we cannot ignore. There are severe penalties for contravening these business conduct guidelines, you surely cannot be advocating that we do this???
    This line is with another provider and is not provided by us as was the previous broadband package, we cannot comment on what they provide.

Possible dis-connections are likely if speed is set too high for the line, but as line is with another provider I cannot comment on why any degredation may have occurred.

As i said in my previous post, if guidelines were changed to allow this action, I would be happy to comply.

Last point, I contacted every technical and product section in eircom in the hope of providing this for the customer as he appeared very sincere in his wish to have this and in the fact that he reported having had this in the past. This is between the customer and myself.

In an age where the majority of discussion on this subject is about how companies ignore sales guidelines, it is unusual to have someone actively encourage us to do sowink.gif
    Have a good weekend
    Tony

To_be_confirmed
    I do see where you are coming from and do understand that if the guidelines in this case appear to be 'inappropriate' it still leaves us with binding regulations which we cannot ignore. There are severe penalties for contravening these business conduct guidelines, you surely cannot be advocating that we do this???
    This line is with another provider and is not provided by us as was the previous broadband package, we cannot comment on what they provide.

Possible dis-connections are likely if speed is set too high for the line, but as line is with another provider I cannot comment on why any degredation may have occurred.

As i said in my previous post, if guidelines were changed to allow this action, I would be happy to comply.

Last point, I contacted every technical and product section in eircom in the hope of providing this for the customer as he appeared very sincere in his wish to have this and in the fact that he reported having had this in the past. This is between the customer and myself.

In an age where the majority of discussion on this subject is about how companies ignore sales guidelines, it is unusual to have someone actively encourage us to do sowink.gif
    Have a good weekend
    Tony
    You haven't clarified what these guidelines are despite being repeatedly asked if they were mandated by comreg or just internal eircom policy. You haven't said whether the guideline was issued by senior management or if this was just a rule of thumb used by eircom support management etc.

If these binding regulations exist, why don't you explain or even tell us who is responsible for issuing this binding regulation? You, an eircom employee, came here to explain that it was not ComReg who limited the speed provided and then you suggest this is a ComReg policy! That is contradictory. ComReg regulate the wholesale market so either eircom were instructed by ComReg to not provide services above a certain speed for longer lines or else eircom wholesale decided to change policy on their own behalf. If so then it begs the question of why the line was allowed to work at 3 mbps with no problems or instability whatsoever.

A degradation in speed was the result of moving to eircom wasn't it? I thought the OP said he moved from Vodafone TO eircom and the speed was then significantly reduced and he was given no explanation for this. He had to come here to find out what he should have been told at the time, inadequate a reason given as it is.

I am not encouraging ignoring regulations if that's what they are. I have been asking what the nature of these "guidelines" are and why they would have not been an issue in the past but that they are now. They're pretty serious "guidelines" if there are fines issues for ignoring them?!

I also wonder why someone on 4 mbps can call up eircom and ask for a speed increase if the line has higher signal margin? Why are the rules different for a customer on 4 mbps with say a signal margin of 15dB? Or are the rules the same for the customers with higher speed packages/shorter lines and eircom are ignoring them? I have called eircom myself about another line which could have handled 5 or 6 mbps instead of 4 and my request was processed there and then... And there are threads here on boards which share the same experience.

So spit it out; is it ComReg policy or eircom wholesale policy or both:eek:

Edit: and is it a recommended guideline for eircom support or an instruction from ComReg?

You haven't clarified what these guidelines are despite being repeatedly asked if they were mandated by comreg or just internal eircom policy. You haven't said whether the guideline was issued by senior management or if this was just a rule of thumb used by eircom support management etc.

If these binding regulations exist, why don't you explain or even tell us who is responsible for issuing this binding regulation? You, an eircom employee, came here to explain that it was not ComReg who limited the speed provided and then you suggest this is a ComReg policy! That is contradictory. ComReg regulate the wholesale market so either eircom were instructed by ComReg to not provide services above a certain speed for longer lines or else eircom wholesale decided to change policy on their own behalf. If so then it begs the question of why the line was allowed to work at 3 mbps with no problems or instability whatsoever.

A degradation in speed was the result of moving to eircom wasn't it? I thought the OP said he moved from Vodafone TO eircom and the speed was then significantly reduced and he was given no explanation for this. He had to come here to find out what he should have been told at the time, inadequate a reason given as it is.

I am not encouraging ignoring regulations if that's what they are. I have been asking what the nature of these "guidelines" are and why they would have not been an issue in the past but that they are now. They're pretty serious "guidelines" if there are fines issues for ignoring them?!

I also wonder why someone on 4 mbps can call up eircom and ask for a speed increase if the line has higher signal margin? Why are the rules different for a customer on 4 mbps with say a signal margin of 15dB? Or are the rules the same for the customers with higher speed packages/shorter lines and eircom are ignoring them? I have called eircom myself about another line which could have handled 5 or 6 mbps instead of 4 and my request was processed there and then... And there are threads here on boards which share the same experience.

So spit it out; is it ComReg policy or eircom wholesale policy or both:eek:

Hi To_be_confirmed
    Com Reg regulate business practice regulations, this was stated in a post a long way back. No I did not specify the guidlines, this was not requested on your earlier post. If you would like to pursue this
    The below web link will open a new browser window which will display the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) Website. ComReg is responsible for the regulation of the electronic communications (telecommunications, radio-communications and broadcasting transmission) and postal sectors. The ComReg Website will give you access to publicly-available material such as consultation papers, decision notices and other consumer-related material such as consumer guides.
    View the ComReg website

You continue to manipulate many points to suit and continue your argument, pleae read previous posts in regard to my answer to limiting speed, I will not be repeating these.
    Feel free to continue this conversation but as I have already answered the question posted I have no more to add.
    Tony

Hi To_be_confirmed
    Com Reg regulate business practice regulations, this was stated in a post a long way back. No I did not specify the guidlines, this was not requested on your earlier post. If you would like to pursue this
    The below web link will open a new browser window which will display the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) Website. ComReg is responsible for the regulation of the electronic communications (telecommunications, radio-communications and broadcasting transmission) and postal sectors. The ComReg Website will give you access to publicly-available material such as consultation papers, decision notices and other consumer-related material such as consumer guides.
    View the ComReg website

You continue to manipulate many points to suit and continue your argument, pleae read previous posts in regard to my answer to limiting speed, I will not be repeating these.
    Feel free to continue this conversation but as I have already answered the question posted I have no more to add.
    Tony
    That's very unfair and unprofessional to say I am manipulating points. I have repeated a few questions, which you say you already answered but you didn't give the reason behind eircom's "opinion" on its unsuitability. You also mention guidelines and then refuse to elaborate on them. It's clearly more than just a guideline if there are legal matters involved. It's also very patronising to link to the ComReg website when you know the answer to my questions is not there. You could be a little more respectful and at least say that it's private information or I'm unable to give it out or whatever. I know you're not the man who runs eircom wholesale. But there's was no call for hostility. My "argument" boils down to seeing that customers can access the speed their line can handle, nothing more or less.

I can't fathom how you suggest I advocate breaking "guidelines" when I don't even know who was responsible for creating them or what status they carry??

You've also overlooked some of my quesitons yet accuse me of ignoring your answers. I asked why customers put on to e.g. 4 mbit are able to ask for 5 mbps in the hope the line can handle it? Does this guideline apply to them and if not, why so?

I have asked a question, are ComReg responsible for creating such a best practice guideline or is it eircom wholesale's own policy and the question was sidestepped. You came here to post when the OP blamed ComReg but then you equivocate about it when I ask you for clarification and details.

That's very unfair and unprofessional to say I am manipulating points. I have repeated a few questions, which you say you already answered but you didn't give the reason behind eircom's "opinion" on its unsuitability. You also mention guidelines and then refuse to elaborate on them. It's clearly more than just a guideline if there are legal matters involved. It's also very patronising to link to the ComReg website when you know the answer to my questions is not there. You could be a little more respectful and at least say that it's private information or I'm unable to give it out or whatever. I know you're not the man who runs eircom wholesale. But there's was no call for hostility. My "argument" boils down to seeing that customers can access the speed their line can handle, nothing more or less.

I can't fathom how you suggest I advocate breaking "guidelines" when I don't even know who was responsible for creating them or what status they carry??

You've also overlooked some of my quesitons yet accuse me of ignoring your answers. I asked why customers put on to e.g. 4 mbit are able to ask for 5 mbps in the hope the line can handle it? Does this guideline apply to them and if not, why so?

I have asked a question, are ComReg responsible for creating such a best practice guideline or is it eircom wholesale's own policy and the question was sidestepped. You came here to post when the OP blamed ComReg but then you equivocate about it when I ask you for clarification and details.

To_be_confirmed

If I have not answered all your questions than I apologise, but I would also ask for respect in this matter. You have constantly changed direction of your argument and have shown no respect for my answers on this thread. If you look carefully you will see that I did answer each issue, however you do not appear to be satisfied with this.
    I will be as clear as I can on this but am repeating myself on almost every post.

(1) As I have posted previously, this line is not provided by eircom as such I cannot comment on any possible reason for line degredation, you will have to speak to the line provider for this, however only the account holder of this line may do this. Our technicians are unable to advise as to why there is a difference with our line requirements and those of any other provider.

(2) As previous broadband was provided by other provider I cannot comment on how they decided that this customer could be moved to a 3Mg package. Our technical crew who are very experienced in these matters advise we cannot offer more than 1Mb with any certainty of stable service. As our technicians advise speeds of only 1Mb are possible with any stability we cannot up-sell to a higher package. This would be considered to be unethical business practice.

(3) It is difficult to answer your hypotetical request to move a customer from 4Mb to 5Mb without knowing line capability, what package they are on, what package they would like to move to. If the line was with eircom I would have more info than if it were with another provider. This is regulated by Com Reg. However I can say that all tests and attempt to rise the speed capability of the line for the customer would be pursued. As has been the case here.

(4) ComReg is the statutory body responsible for the regulation of the electronic communications sector (telecommunications, radiocommunications and broadcasting transmission) and the postal sector. The national regulatory authority for these sectors in accordance with EU law which is subsequently transposed into Irish legislation.

Their remit covers all kinds of transmission networks including:

* Traditional telephone wire
    * Traditional television and radio
    * Radio Communications including fixed wireless
    * MMDS and deflector operators providing TV services
    * Mobile operators providing voice and data services
    * Licensing Framework for Satellite Services in Ireland

As such it is to their regulations that all tel co.s must adhere. Regulations I have mentioned come from this regulatory body.

Again and I do not mean to be patronising, in fact quite the opposite, if I had not believed your interest was genuine I would not have directed you to such a complicated and detailed document. I am sure you can understand that I can not do justice to the whole thing in a post. To find any further in regards to regulations I would have to again point you in this direction.

This is the fullest response I can offer in this matter and hope it goes a bit further to answering issue.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Wait a minute, you didn't direct me to a document, you directed me to ComReg's home page!

Advertisement