Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice for an upgrade

• 04-04-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    My work machine died and I need to replace it. Looking at a Xeon quadcore Dell percision with 4 gigs of ram and 1g graphics card.
    I run cad 2004, adobe cs and sketchup as my main programs
    My question is this, the dead machine is 32 bit and I'm wondering now should I purchase the 64 bit machine as I've read that it can use more ram and ram is cheap enough now too and ultimately is this the way things are headed? Since this is a work machine I need it to be somewhat future proofed.

Also if I run the 32 bit sofware in the x64 environment does that mean I lose the x64 bits ability to address more ram then the 3 gigs for a x32 bit machine?

Ultimately I will be in the market for newer Cad and adobe so can get the 64bit versions then but is it a false economy or should I really just get the 32 bit machine and a big graphics card instead?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Hi Technoi,

Personally, I wouldn't go for anything other than a 64bit machine and OS at the moment. Technology is moving on and many applications are being redesigned for the 64bit OS. So to future proof your machine 64 bit is the only way to go.

Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Technoi

Hi Cathal,
    Thanks for the reply, appreciate your candidness. That pretty much confirms my own thoughts on it. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

32 bit machine can address 2^32 locations in memory or 4,294,967,296 i.e 4 GB of addressable memory. Where as 64 bit in theory could have terabytes of RAM.

You'd have 5GB alone with that ram and gfx card.

Advertisement