Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/Vodafone incompetence

• 04-04-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Sigh.

Having very willingly terminated my eircom contract early and paid my early ceasage charge, I was ready to shop around for a new provider. Due to ongoing fighting with the dullards at eircom, this process was considerably more drawn out than usual, meaning my line was only released by them last week. Yes they actually ransomed me. Story for another day.

Anyway, I decided to go with Vodafone once the gods of infrastructure declared my account cleared and i made the call. Apparently my line was disconnected by eircom when I cancelled meaning Vodafone had to do a 'reconnect' on it.

However.

When they try to do that the line comes back as active, ie eircom still have their cancerous talons embedded in it, but whenever I ring eircom and whinge they say that my line is nothing of the sort and I'm set to go with whomever I want.

What the hell is going on here?! Surely both parties can't be completely incompetent can they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I remember not being able to order DSL on a line because the other licensed operator was told that the line was "taken" or "in use" by another company to provide service. It took 2 or 3 months and an official complaint with Comreg to sort out the phantom order which eircom wholesale had conjured up.

OP, I suggest you get on to ComReg immediately having gotten a clear reason from Vodafone as to why you can't proceed with an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

I remember not being able to order DSL on a line because the other licensed operator was told that the line was "taken" or "in use" by another company to provide service. It took 2 or 3 months and an official complaint with Comreg to sort out the phantom order which eircom wholesale had conjured up.

OP, I suggest you get on to ComReg immediately having gotten a clear reason from Vodafone as to why you can't proceed with an order.

Many thanks, I may just do that. Though previous experience has left with the impression that ComReg are about as useful as a marzipan dildo.

Fingers crossed though!

Some headway at last. Eircom very helpfully changed my landline number whilst I wasn't their customer and they can't do anything about it, as apparently the line is taken up by a different provider who is providing me with broadband.

A provider I do not have. I have no service. From anyone.

This is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Qs for you Fannymcslap,why did you change from Eircom?What package had you?Im thinking of switching to them from UPC as they are cheaper,was thinking of getting their Next Generation Broadband.Can i ask why you "very willingly terminated your contract" with them?
    Cheers.

Aiel wrote: »
    Qs for you Fannymcslap,why did you change from Eircom?What package had you?Im thinking of switching to them from UPC as they are cheaper,was thinking of getting their Next Generation Broadband.Can i ask why you "very willingly terminated your contract" with them?
    Cheers.

Predominant reasons would be a lacklustre product that is far too expensive and supported by dullards.

I wasn't on the next gen however, just the standard 7.6 package which ran to nearly 64 quid a month. Awful, dreadful company. Avoid at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some headway at last. Eircom very helpfully changed my landline number whilst I wasn't their customer and they can't do anything about it, as apparently the line is taken up by a different provider who is providing me with broadband.

A provider I do not have. I have no service. From anyone.

This is frustrating.
    I don't quite follow, are you saying that eircom have given you a different phone number that now allows you to move provider or that they changed your phone number without you knowing and therefore they think another provider is giving you broadband on this new number?

It's very straightforward, you should be calling ComReg about this. My family wouldn't have DSL on their line if I hadn't called ComReg about a similar "phantom order" on my line.

Advertisement