Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where to go on first camper van holiday?

• 04-04-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got my camper in Jan and since then I've taken her on 2 weekends away. The plan is to get as many more weekend as possible but also to venture further afield for a loner (2 week) break.

So, just wondering where would you good people recomend for a first camper van holiday? Stay in Ireland, France on the UK or somewhere else?

Also, any tips of tricks for getting bargains with regards to ferries would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ferries will be cheaper in September, I'd head to France and use a mixture of AIRS and municipal campsites. Get book an AIRS and do some searching on google. All of that is once you are happy it won't break down. Take it on a long run around Ireland first, remember if there is anything wrong with the radiator or cooling system France will stress it and find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Repolho wrote: »
    Hi All,

Got my camper in Jan and since then I've taken her on 2 weekends away. The plan is to get as many more weekend as possible but also to venture further afield for a loner (2 week) break.

So, just wondering where would you good people recomend for a first camper van holiday? Stay in Ireland, France on the UK or somewhere else?

Also, any tips of tricks for getting bargains with regards to ferries would be appreciated!

Thanks.

If your longer holiday would be off season Celtic Link is currently €350 return for camper and two people.
    Overnighting could be free if using the excellent Aires and diesel is cheaper than here.
    See the links below.
    http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm
    http://www.airecampingcar.com/
    http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

If you can go in september,France is the way to go,and as already said celtic link are doing a brilliant deal as we know because we are going.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

France seems to get the majority vote!

Unfortuantely the time that suits me best to travel is the last 2 weeks in July which seems to be peak Ferry season!

Thanks for all the links - I have them bookmarked now and will definitely use when I sit down to plan the trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Repolho wrote: »
    France seems to get the majority vote!

Unfortuantely the time that suits me best to travel is the last 2 weeks in July which seems to be peak Ferry season!

Thanks for all the links - I have them bookmarked now and will definitely use when I sit down to plan the trip!

Pricey time alright - I know cos I've worked around the kids holidays for the last four years. Last year and also this we will use landbridge via UK.

Advertisement