Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Cancellation

Options
  • 04-04-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey All,

I am looking to move from Meteor to 3.

Reasons being:

- Poor Coverage in the area I Live and Work
    - recent Data Coverage Problems on a persistant basis.
    - Poor Customer Service.

Here is my scenario

I signed up for an 18 Month contract on a €50 euro a month package. I am approaching the 13th month and I am entitled under the contract to switch payment plan. I have switched to the lowest payment plan €25 euro I believe.

As there is no way to leave meteor with out paying the remaining months, I am wondering what rate will i have to pay to complete the cancellation process.

I have no problem paying the lower rate if it means i can finally be rid of the poor service and move to 3.

Will it be

(1) 6 Months * €50

(2) 6 Months * €25

I am really eager to leave meteor as for the reasons outlined above so if anyone could offer advice, it would be really appreciated.

Essentially the only reason I am paying the above is to keep my phone number which Meteor refuse to hand over as it is tied to the contract.

If i am unclear in any are above let me know and i will answer questions as best i can.

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

- Poor Coverage in the area I Live and Work
    - recent Data Coverage Problems or a persistant basis.
    - Poor Customer Service.

From Meteor to Three you say? I've moved the opposite direction for the very same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

JustinOval wrote: »
    From Meteor to Three you say? I've moved the opposite direction for the very same reasons.

I guess everyone has there personal experience with regard to issues with networks. Have been a loyal Meteor customer for years but given other packages on the market and the reasons above I want to make the change.

Only concern will be at what cost....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Have you applied for a free SIM from Three yet? You might find there is no improvement in the service, the Three offers do look good on paper but if you are in an area of poor coverage these deals will be worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You really need to pick up a Three sim and realise their:

Customer Service is miles worse than meteors. Most of the reps dont even know what their talking about and will blame everything but their service. Or tell ya that their working on it.

Three also experiences network downtimes sometimes. They have a wider 3G coverage but piss poor internet speed. Ive tested Three Vs Meteor many times and Meteor always had a more consitent and faster download upload speed.

Regarding offers. Read the fine print :)

Coverage wise cant argue. But every network is different. Meteor might not have the largest 3G area but it has a good Edge network and that works well for general web browsing and app loading. You will always have bad coverage spots on every network. It just depend on the location and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If your new monthly bill is €25 a month then you will pay 6 *€25, presuming you have 6 months left. But beware, changing your package during the contract time could lock you in for another 12 / 18 months. Make sure you get the name of each person you speak to and write down the time and date of each call.
    Will it be

(1) 6 Months * €50

(2) 6 Months * €25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If your new monthly bill is €25 a month then you will pay 6 *€25, presuming you have 6 months left. But beware, changing your package during the contract time could lock you in for another 12 / 18 months. Make sure you get the name of each person you speak to and write down the time and date of each call.

The only thing that extends your contract with Meteor is either getting a new phone from them at a subsidized price or agreeing to an offer for free (such as free texts to any network) for 6 months. Changing your tariff, under any circumstances outside of what I have listed, has NO effect on your contract length or commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Cheers for the above replies all,

I didn't think to get a sim to test for my self

The internet tethering option is very suitable for me at I go home to 'Wesht'
    Cork at the weekends and many of my gone to three as a new mast was erected near where i live..

I guess there is ups and downs to every network but am open to a change and will bear in mind what you have said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Keep an eye on my thread in the morning as you may be able to get out penalty free.
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71541561#post71541561

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Who bets they'll drag this out for 31 days?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I'll be asking for an update first thing in the morning!

• Advertisement
Advertisement