Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Score

• 04-04-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Anyone see that documentary "High Score" about the guy who attempts to beat the world record on Missile Command ... just watching it now, I don't think he's gonna do it :D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

havent seen it, sounds good though.. dont spoil the ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

watching King of Kong now, jaysus that Billy Mitchell is some sleeveen!!! :mad: Him and his lackeys ...!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Whatever about his personallity there's no doubt he's one of the best to come out of the 'golden era' of arcade gaming. Sure, he comes across as a douche but he's set up to play the villain by the film makers.

I've watched KoK a couple of times now with various people and for them the biggest laughs comes from Mitchells fanboys or him banging on about his hot sauce.

yeah, i laughed a lot at those arse licker fanboys, especially that guy who kept phoning him up about the score that steve guy was racking up.

I dont think he was setup to be honest, the comment he makes to your man says it all in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Really enjoyed King Of Kong myyself. Wouldn't mind giving this other one a watch to. Have to agree about Billy Mitchel though, regardless of his talent, the dude's an ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Arse biscuits.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Arse biscuits.

The film or Billy Mitchel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ill look into the Missile Command one, sounds good....

www.highscoremovie.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

LoGiE wrote: »
    The film or Billy Mitchel?

Both :p Ah no joking aside, I do believe he's a bit of a goon, but the films only serve to emphasise it more so than in actual fact.

• Advertisement

I think I disliked him the moment I saw him walking about with a mullet, beard and a shirt and tie!! :D

In the middle of downloading a documentary called Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade ... hopefully it'll be as entertaining as the other 2. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Hygro wrote: »
    I think I disliked him the moment I saw him walking about with a mullet, beard and a shirt and tie!! :D

In the middle of downloading a documentary called Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade ... hopefully it'll be as entertaining as the other 2. :pac:

Please send me the link to that via PM, I've tried to get it a few times and I couldn't, I hear it's a much better movie than KoK

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

pdbhp wrote: »
    Please send me the link to that via PM, I've tried to get it a few times and I couldn't, I hear it's a much better movie than KoK

It's a different kind of film. More about the history of that period and the people involved rather than a rivalry between an underdog and an arsehole. Both good films but KoK was more fun I thought.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It's a different kind of film. More about the history of that period and the people involved rather than a rivalry between an underdog and an arsehole. Both good films but KoK was more fun I thought.

That would've been a great tagline for the film :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Chasing Ghosts is pretty good, nearly better to watch that first before KoK, just to get the background of it all.

Did you find the newer version of it? apparantly there is a newer updated version, i cant find it anywhere.

the version I got seems to have been made in 2005/6.

As sega said I guess it'd be better to watch it before KoK, I reckon the best way to watch these movies is in this order.

Chasing Ghosts
    High Score
    King of Kong

this is also meant to be very good, uploaded by Iain Lee himself :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36VLVO4Q

I just finished watching Chasing Ghosts, I nearly wet myself laughing when the lad who checks the record attempts broke out his "art" collection. Classic. What a strange guy.

I thought it was funny when he said something like "this painting's great cos you can look at it upside down as well and it still looks good". :pac:

haha yeh theres some really funny parts in it in fairness.. I dont think they are funny in the eyes of the guys in it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

this is also meant to be very good, uploaded by Iain Lee himself :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36VLVO4Q

Thats a good watch. the interview with jet set willy creator is quality.
    The man is a legend
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDuF-XUVmLIF87SlaOPCgN5ZxvpNw-JRnP6Gg3bW9BlRkgTFBvMQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

watched Chasing Ghosts last night, Billy Mitchell (or Silly Bitchell as Roy Shildt rather amusingly called him) comes off as an incredibly obnoxious jerk in it, even more so than in KoK because then I was very aware the film makers were trying to portray him as the villain.

Chasing ghosts was pretty enjoyable, although i think i prefer the KoK..

I thought they where both great, I didnt really like High Score to be honest, it was ok but not as good as CGs and KoK. Anything else out there on the subject to watch? I watched the other one with the Tall Comedian lad in it that was posted aswell.

A couple of highllights for me was "silly bitchell" aswell, and the scorekeeper guys "art" collection was hilarious. your man who made Jet set willy is a fruit loop, his eyes are crazy eyes!

oh and there is a serious ammount of Cat Owners in this, something about Single nerds who own Cats just doesnt sit right with me.

I enjoyed Chasing Ghosts. I've seen the 05/06 version and yeah the art collection scene is pretty sad... That's the guy who quits Twin Galaxies in Kok because of cheating or whatever..

I must watch King of kong again, i forgot he quit in that, it will be intersting to watch it after watching chasing ghosts. are there any other documentry\movies like this floating around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Wizzard :pac:

I watched that a good few times when i was younger..:D

The-Wizard.jpg

keithgeo wrote: »
    I watched that a good few times when i was younger..:D

The-Wizard.jpg

I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.

:eek: