Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wee bit of advice if ya have it...

• 04-04-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

We adopted a dog at Xmas. He's a brilliant wee chap, labrador x sheepdog (18months). He was looked after in the last place he was but didn't get any attention at all, left in his run all day bar a walk, and no training so that when we got him he just had no confidence. He had no bark at all, so when he barked for the first time in the last few weeks he spooked himself.

Anyway, he's a fantastic dog, so gentle and loving, eager to please and as it turns out he's mega intelligent. We've been putting some work into him in the last few months, trying to work on his recall. He's great to come when we call him, unless there's some other distraction, he's a disaster then, just loses every bit of sense he has and wants to play with whatever it is.

I've been training him to fetch lately and he's getting better and better at it, will bring back the object now and give it to you after a few seconds, whereas at the start he'd run off after the ball and stay running! But he's adopted this new trick in the last few weeks where he runs, collects it, drops it for you, but after a few throws of it, he'll bring it back and pee all over it before he gives it to you! Now I know this is obviously an ownership thing, but obviously it's a little nasty.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Only thing I can think of is keep it short, few throws then a break then some more. May help break the habit.
    Alos just want to say it sounds like you're doing a great job:) Lucky dog.:D

Advertisement