Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsie Hits the Bigtime

• 04-04-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

A certain poster here has had all sorts of coverage of one of his pictures today, the Cluxton V McAteer pic was in the Star Sun and front of the Herald as well as being discussed on Narional Radio.

Well done lad, I wont post a link I will let him do that...........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not sure I'd say bigtime, but yeah, it got a hell of a lot of publicity today.

Lots of papers and it's going mad. Front pages, back pages, forums, websites and now Liverpool TV too.

Ka-ching. :D

Charity events are good for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

Nice one Paul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nice one Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Nice one Paul - looks like he caught him a belter!:D

Sure did. He connected properly.

I've a sequence of about 8 shots, within 1.5 sec of the incident.

Two national papers are doing further runs tomorrow (with more picts), as well as possible interests in the UK. Liverpool TV also doing a talk on it tonight. It's a busy day with email and phone.

I'm not used to this much interest in my images, all in one go. But, who am I to complain?? :D

• Advertisement

Can you post the image? I'm not exactly Mr. Current Affairs :o

Congratulations though! How'd they (papers, etc.) get in touch with you or see the image in the first place, our if curiousity?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulwa/

And a full gallery from the game - http://www.photography.paul-walsh.net/sport/football/2011/darndale-legends/index.html

I submitted a pict to some papers, and others picked up from Flickr and phoned me to ask about getting images. Lots of talk on facebook and twitter today, as well as comments on the picts in the papers. Herald front page and Star back page got major public attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

1st I heard of thsi was from this thread, good stuff Paul. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I spotted it last night in the post over on the Photo Fest thread. First thing this morning in work, the same picture was staring at me from the back page of the Star on one of the guys desks.
    Things sure work fast, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

McAteer on newstalk right now. This sounds like a windup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well done Paul:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

15,666 views on your Flickr alone, fair f**king play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Great Photo Paul ;) Saw it last night and seen it spreading since. On various different internet forums and facebook. Must be a great feeling alright and you should make a bit off it too :D

If they really want to make money for charity they should organise a replay...would be a sellout!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Great pics. 57 and 59 my own personal favorites ;) apologies!

tororosso wrote: »
    If they really want to make money for charity they should organise a replay...would be a sellout!

They should organise an in-ring boxing match - white collar boxing. And, I want the rights to be there to photograph. :D

I see that the Star has put them up with boxing stats - age, height, reach, style, etc. :D

Major usage of the images today - the Star, the Sun, the Mirror, the Independent, the Examiner ... and maybe more. Then there are also a number of websites using them too.

A nice little earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Well done Paul, cracking shots.

As a matter of interest do they generally ask to use the image or do you have to find out where it was used ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Great stuff Paul. Seems sports photogs can get "lucky" every now and again if they have the camera pointing in the right direction at the right time. I was in Barbados a few years back for the cricket World Cup. In the Hilton bar one evening I got talking to a photographer from Dublin, forget his name. Anyway, one particular shot he took after the win on paddy's day against Pakistan earned him a fair few quid. Enough to pay for the whole 6 weeks in Barbados and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I would be interested to see if you can charge the websites for usage - most websites simply wont pay - Personally I think you should charge them all for usage and if they don't pay send a solicitors letter.

I think photographers should be credited (and paid) for their work - even if someone posts it up on a blog or forum - the forum should be charged, the image is your copyright and people should not be able to pull it off a website and use it themselves.

ps. its on the indo website too (if you didn't spot that)

I was planning on going to the game but ended out covering the Horse Fair in Smithfield and the Fishermen search in Skerries.

Well Done Paul !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

EyeBlinks wrote: »

As a matter of interest do they generally ask to use the image or do you have to find out where it was used ?

in general most of the papers wait for an invoice and then you wait approx 6 weeks and then get a cheque. (so you need to find the image in the first place - I found an image of mine printed....2yrs after I had sent it out ...found it by accident - I'm sure I loose out on several thousand a year but c'est la vie)

the Sun/News of the World pay space rate ...so they pay by the size of the pic they use (other papers size doesn't matter rate is the same if its massive or tiny)

Sun/Notw pay within 2 weeks - which I find fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

PCPhoto wrote: »
    in general most of the papers wait for an invoice and then you wait approx 6 weeks and then get a cheque.

the Sun/News of the World pay space rate ...so they pay by the size of the pic they use (other papers size doesn't matter rate is the same if its massive or tiny)

Sun/Notw pay within 2 weeks - which I find fantastic.

So they use the image, then you have to find out to bill them?

EyeBlinks wrote: »

Some papers phoned/emailed and asked. Two websites also phoned and asked.

I had submitted the image (the main one) to a number of papers. Once the Star and Sun saw it, they were on the phone to me.

The Sun have already told me how much they'll pay, and payment will be direct (no need for an invoice). The others will all be invoiced this week.

Mostly, I've had to keep an eye on this myself (plenty of texts and that from friends and acquaintances spotting the picts in papers). Many didn't ask, but that's ok, since I'll just invoice them.

With regards to websites, two came to me asking permission, and agreeing terms (joe.ie and also liverpoolfc.tv).

I did see copies of my images on imageshack, and have reported them as copyright violation.

Otherwise, there have been a hell of a lot of hits on my flickr pict (21,000) and lots of hits to my website too. All positive, so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I hope you got tickets from Liverpool...

Oh and about my 10%....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done Paul - never liked mcateer - never seemed to fulfil his potential - always seemed more interested in his own publicity - rather than other greats like moran, mcgrath, townsend , stauntan , duff, keane - id always fancy a Gaelic footballer over a scccer player in a ruck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Paulw wrote: »
    They should organise an in-ring boxing match - white collar boxing. And, I want the rights to be there to photograph. :D

I would say that it could be on the cards but I reckon that there would be a lot of photographers applying for that one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

thebaz wrote: »
    well done Paul - never liked mcateer - never seemed to fulfil his potential - always seemed more interested in his own publicity - rather than other greats like moran, mcgrath, townsend , stauntan , duff, keane - id always fancy a Gaelic footballer over a scccer player in a ruck

He ain't so bad. Tells a good story.

Excellent work Paul. Ezzy Money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Great shots Paul. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

What sparked it? I can just imaging McAteer in his scouse accent "Cume on ya fay-ry, betcha wouldn't be able to smack......." BANG !!!!!

My view/memory of the incident seems to differ with what Jason McAteer said on Newstalk, Off the ball.

To me - there was a bit of niggle throughout the game with McAteer and one or two players. Nothing to write home about, but maybe something that in a proper professional game would have had a stern talking about by the ref. Anyway, the specific incident, Cluxton got the ball from McAteer, and made a break. McAteer clipped Cluxton's heels as he tried to get away.

Cluxton passed off the ball and turned around. There was a bit of a shove from McAteer, Cluxton clenched his fists, as words were being exchanged, and then BAM - Cluxton struck McAteer. A prime left hook, across the jaw. McAteer stumbled back and fell.

When McAteer got back up, they both had to be separated (Bernard Dunne made sure to get between them). They were then both sent off.

Here's my full gallery of the incident - http://www.photography.paul-walsh.net/sport/football/2011/mc-clux/

Timeline - first image to last image is approx 50sec.

• Advertisement
Advertisement