Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisence for a .270win

Options
  • 04-04-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hey guys
    just wondering is it hard to get a lisence for a 270, as i want to start stalking next season.
    i have a shotgun and a 223 already.
    would i need any extra security requirements?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

AccuTip wrote: »
    hey guys
    just wondering is it hard to get a lisence for a 270, as i want to start stalking next season.
    i have a shotgun and a 223 already.
    would i need any extra security requirements?

thanks

You have 2 UN-restricted firearms
    Now you would be in Cat 2 three or fewer unrestricted

2 One restricted firearm or Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe
    three or fewer non-restricted which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be
    firearms. securely fixed to a solid structure

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AccuTip

thanks for that tack:)

would the guards be strict about giving licences for the like of .270?
    i heard you have to do a couse to get the deer permit, is it true?

thanks again

thanks for that tack:)

would the guards be strict about giving licences for the like of .270?
    i heard you have to do a couse to get the deer permit, is it true?

thanks again

Yes and no.

Most Supers will give once you have a reason <deer stalking>

To be allowed shoot on Coillte you need to do the HCAP which is a written and practical test (shooting on a range being the practical)

If you are on private land you do not need to do this test.
    The time to apply for a deer stalking permit is now.

I got my renewal in the post today, others got theirs last Thursday.

If you get the deer permit sorted out and the rifle bought and Licenced you will be stalking come Sept 1st.

Here is the deer application

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/NPWS/Publications/Legaldocs/Deer%20Hunting%20Application%20Form.pdf

You need a rifle serial number to apply, you do not need a rifle per say.
    When you have your licence, or receipt of application you may apply to Gardaí for licence for .270.

Depending on your super this can take from 2 weeks to 3 months.
    Deer permits are not issued until after August 1st so to speed things along you might need to get a receipt of application off NPWS

forgot to mention im only 19:o

thanks for the info tack.

forgot to mention im only 19:o

thanks for the info tack.

Age is nothing to do with it. Officially ;)

Go into your local station, look to speak to the Garda in charge of Firearms.

If you have proved that you a competent then and are known to be of good character then there "should" be no problems.

I got my first licence around your age, (I did have to go in with my Dad, but it is no major load to carry)

Having access to a vehicle will prove usefull, four wheel drive even more so.
    My first years stalking was heavily reliant on others for transport.

Best of luck anyway!

Lots of fellas on here with many years experience to give you a few tips along the way.

Try and buddy up with a seasoned stalker on your first few outings.
    When in doubt ask.
    Lots of good info on here and a few other sites about butchering, stalking etc

• Advertisement

cheers tack

i am good friends with two stalkers and they said they would show me the ropes.

cheers tack

i am good friends with two stalkers and they said they would show me the ropes.

I'd mention that you help out with friends who stalk when explaining why you want to get a .270

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I was 19 when I got my .270!

patsat wrote: »
    I was 19 when I got my .270!

You prove the point.
    Did you have any hassle Pat?, as it was not yesterday since I was 19 so times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Walked in and handed over the form,deer licence and a note on why I wanted a moderator to the sergeant... Goodluck and thanks!

Two weeks later he rings me asking did I want to get the rifle and to call down so she could write me a cover note!! Happy as a pig in s**t I was!

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply patsat, its reasuring to know that people my age have being granted licences for the 270.:)

anyone know of any good guns that can be got in 270?

im more of a remington man and they arent great when it comes to calibre selections so il have to look elsewhere

thanks for the reply patsat, its reasuring to know that people my age have being granted licences for the 270.:)

anyone know of any good guns that can be got in 270?

im more of a remington man and they arent great when it comes to calibre selections so il have to look elsewhere

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-camo.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-lss.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr-ii.aspx

There are a few Remmy's in .270win

Tikka also come in .270

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

winchester do a few rifles in 270

Advertisement