Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting hens in at night

• 04-04-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi there

I got 3 hens at the weekend. They are in a roosting/nesting box which is inside an enclosed run, sitting on a piece of old chain link fence to stop foxes burying underneath. It's this one -http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/poultry/1424324

I can shut the door on the roosting box but the question is, do I have to? if they are shut inside the run at night with access to the roosting/nesting box will that do? I presume the door is only there for security?

Also, they don't seem all that interested in veg scraps - is that only because they've been used to eating pellets on the farm they came from?

thanks a million - Scott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If they are secure and sheltered from rain then there is really no need to lock them in, but bear in mind that other pests can come around at night - I found where rats had been gnawing at the door of my coop. Rats don't pose a threat to your chickens but I prefer to lock mine in in case of pine martens or other smaller attackers.

When you say veg scraps, are they cooked or raw and what veg? Are the pellets fed from a hopper or in a measured quantity once a day? It might take a while for them to figure that there are alternative foods available - if they are hungry they'll eat most stuff.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Definitely lock them into the house part. Manufactured hen houses are notoriously weak. Check the hinges & do not use swivel latches. I always used a small padlock. Also check any vents etc where wire is attached. They often use a staple gun & the wire is easy to pull off.

It's worth making the effort to be certain that your hen house is totally fox proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Thanks for your reply Ceptr

they are in a hopper inside the coop so they have access to them all the time - shouldnt they have? Should I only feed them once a day?

And the scraps are raw - bits of tomato, cucumber, leek tops, potato peelings, grapes etc.

Blimey DD - Really?!

I dont know do we get many foxes - we're up in Baldoyle in N dublin. I think Ive only ever seen a fox once in hte 10 years Ive lived here and that was when it was -10!!

I shal go out and lock them in now - Thanks :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Hi Scott
    I am really interested in how you are getting on with your hens! I am thinking of getting some!
    Will PM you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Thanks for your reply Ceptr

they are in a hopper inside the coop so they have access to them all the time - shouldnt they have? Should I only feed them once a day?

And the scraps are raw - bits of tomato, cucumber, leek tops, potato peelings, grapes etc.

any veg you'd normally eat cooked (leeks/potato peels/carrot peels etc) really should be boiled up before giving them to the hens from experience

Also anything oniony or garlicky will make the eggs taste oniony/garlicky (done that before too ;))

Nuts - better not give them last night's leek tops then eh?!

And should I leave pellets for them 24x7 or is it better to give them once a day?

Thanks Chicken Run

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Ours just have a feeder which is kept topped up with pellets all the time so they can eat when they please

Leeks are fine, just lots of onions or garlic can be a bit iffy

They also get leftover fish or fish skins occasionally, and bits of cheese rind

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Nuts - better not give them last night's leek tops then eh?!

And should I leave pellets for them 24x7 or is it better to give them once a day?

Thanks Chicken Run

Scottyboy,
    I bought that exact same coop this time last year when I got my first hens.I am just after giving it a retro fit to make it bigger for the 2 new hens that I just got.I used to lock the hens up every night and leave them out in the morning,now I just leave the sliding side door open and they do their own thing.Saying that there are no predators in my neck of the woods.One major fault that I found was that the nesting box was too close to the house area and the hens slept in the nest box and pooped in the nest box resulting in dirty eggs.I moved the nest box and made the roost higher.The eggs are lovely and clean now.They should have access to the pellets all day.
    I got mine a pecker feeder fixed to the bottom of a bucket,they peck it and the pellets fall to the ground.I had a major Starling problem but it is a great help for all pests.Make sure to cook the potato peelings which they will devour.Best of luck and happy laying.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Hey Scott

I am in Baldoyle myself and just getting my garden done.

I have allocated a small area (2-3 sq m) of my garden for a chicken coup.

Is it ok to leave the hens in the coop all day (use of the run area obvioulsy) and not let them into the main garden?

I will defo be back on with more questions.

Also, where did you get your coop and hens?

Cheers

Potsy

• Advertisement

Potsy
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Ours are doing well - 3 eggs a day since we got them. We let ours roam in the beginning but attacks on veg and poo on the lawn (bad mix with 3 kids) meant that they are now prisoners! We keep them in the run for most of the day - it's probaby 20ft x 10ft - and let them out for a few hours here and there. they seem happy enough witt that (if egg-laying is anything to go by?)

Whereabouts in Baldoyle are you? You're more than welcome to pop in for a look at our set up if you like. PM me your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You won't have your hens long if you leave them in a place at night that Mr. Fox can get at them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Scottyboy1973, just so you know there are foxes around here. One took to sleeping in my porch on a mat couple of months ago. Son came home to find him there.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Just got a phone call from a good friend to let me know that her brother, who lives in Artane, was keeping 3 hens for the last year. He lives in a residential estate.

He kept them in one of those ark type coops. Anyway, two nights ago fantastic Mr. Fox came a knocking and killed all three. He didn’t even hear the commotion. He just saw what was left of his 3 birds. Not pretty.

Watch out....foxes are most definitely about.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

THey won't eat leftovers like leek tops or raw potato skins. They are mostly interested in eating bugs. That is how they will get VERY nice eggs. If you are only feeding them pellets they your eggs won't be any better than shop eggs.

You should get a bag of rolled barley and give them a scoup of that everynight. They kinda go mad for it.

In saying what I said above I must point out the hens I've (parents have) have farmland to roam on so they naturally have a better selection of things to eat. I don't agree with these coops that are all the rage now where they are kept in a cage. That's how shop egg hens a kept, well, yours might get more sunlight maybe.

Advertisement