Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C25K and more - getting fitter!

Options
  • 04-04-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Starting a log here now to track my progress as I go along :) Got my pair of Asics ready this morning, shorts and off I went with a friend.

"Brisk 5 minute warmup walk. Then alternate between 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes"

Week 1, Day 1 - Complete! 4th February, 2011

Delighted with myself as I need to lose some weight (have started a healthy food plan and no junk food) and get fitter. I was pushing myself at the 6th run but to my surprise I was getting faster each time I started running! My legs were falling off me when I was walking home for the 5 minute cool down. I do feel brilliant afterwards though :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Week 1, Day 2 - Complete! 6th February, 2011

Did it again today! I'm doing it with my friend, and we were both surprised that it was alot easier this time around. I know it was the second day but we were both kind of surprised that it was over; the time flew and it wasn't too taxing on our bodies!

We even did a lap of honour at the end hehe :P

This is great. Love running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Colibri! Sounds like you've just started the same plan as me :) and on the same week too! It'll be great to see how someone else is getting on with it :D

Thank you Munster Gal! :) How are you doing with the plan? :D

Week 1, Day 3 - Complete! - 8th February, 2011

I was training (wing chun) last night so I expected to be very sore this morning but to be honest it was grand! Did my warm up and completed it in around 28 minutes. We did two laps at the end after everything to keep us going :) Can't wait for next week!

Was due to go out this evening for number 3 but I'm not gonna make it home on time for it so may need to put it off until tomorrow or Sunday.
    Felt great after number 2 though and no pain at all which really surprised me!

Was due to go out this evening for number 3 but I'm not gonna make it home on time for it so may need to put it off until tomorrow or Sunday.
    Felt great after number 2 though and no pain at all which really surprised me!

I get what you mean about the no pain bit. I do expect a big shock in the coming week though :D

• Advertisement

Week 2, Day 1 - Complete! - 11th February, 2011

I know I'm only beginning still really but I find that it's getting easier, no doubt :)

Colibri wrote: »
    I get what you mean about the no pain bit. I do expect a big shock in the coming week though :D

Just been out for w2d1 - I'd say there'll be plenty of pain tomorrow morning :(

Week 2, Day 2 - Complete! 13th February, 2010

Getting fitter alright. Love it :D feel great now :)

Week 2, Day 3 - Complete! 15th February, 2010

It really got to me today - I think it was the sun and the warmth that made me wrecked! Feeling good though, happy to be completed week 2 :)

Week 3, Day 1 - Complete! 18th April, 2011

Never thought I'd make the 3 minute runs but by golly I did it. Feeling great!

Also, why the hell did I timestamp each run as February 2010? LOL

• Advertisement

Forgot to type Wednesday's progress sooooo...

Week 3, Day 2 & 3 - Complete! 20th and 22nd April, 2011

Fantastic :D Week 4 on Monday :P

Fecked up the start timer so we did an extra 3 minute run :) Do you think it matters what speed I run/walk?

Forgot to type Wednesday's progress sooooo...

Week 3, Day 2 & 3 - Complete! 20th and 22nd April, 2011

Fantastic :D Week 4 on Monday :P

Fecked up the start timer so we did an extra 3 minute run :) Do you think it matters what speed I run/walk?

It doesn't matter what speed you walk or run. The important thing is that you do it ;) Speed will come with time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Best of luck with the program Colibri! I have just started C25K this week. I've only done the first two days at the moment, but, like you, I found the second day to be much easier than the first.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Munster_Gal and Desire! :)

I went solo today so I decided to postpone week 4 by one day this week. Just did my own thing :) Started at 11:45, finished at 12:20. It may not have been as intense but every little helps! (Plus, I'm still digesting all yesterday's food :P )

Thanks Munster_Gal and Desire! :)

I went solo today so I decided to postpone week 4 by one day this week. Just did my own thing :) Started at 11:45, finished at 12:20. It may not have been as intense but every little helps! (Plus, I'm still digesting all yesterday's food :P )

Well done Colibri! You're doing really well! I'm going to start the program again. Haven't done anything in about 2 weeks and my sister is now starting as well so I've agreed to start from scratch. I've decided to try and aim for the 10k in Salthill at the end of June as well just to put a bit more pressure on myself lol!

Here we are! :)

Week 4, Day 1 - Complete! 27th April, 2011

The 5 minute runs were actually manageable! It was grand to be honest. I'm nearing the plateau though, I think I'll need to push myself hard on week 5 to get through the invisible wall of progress :D Got a bit of a tan today too whilst running :) Delighted with my progress.[/QUOTE]

Week 4, Day 2 - Complete! 2nd May, 2011

Got a bit distracted over the last few days but back into it again this morning. Call me crazy but it was very easy; I think the few days break in between really helped me :)[/QUOTE]

Week 4, Day 3 - Complete! 4th May, 2011

I thought the last day was much simpler. I got up early, had my porridge and two pints of water. Things were going good until just about halfway through, I started to get acid heartburn :confused: I believe the porridge did it (I know it sounds weird but everything gives me heartburn) so I was struggling LOADS for the last few laps. I was even on the verge of vomiting to be honest!

But all in all, I have completed week 4. Looking forward to a porridge free, egg plenty week 5 :D

Wing Chun last night, it had me wrecked. Absolutely shattered! Loads of cardio, core work and arm/leg work.

I ran solo again today without a plan (I should really download the podcasts) so I probably didn't do as much as I would if I was doing week 4 or 5 but I was just going at a comfortable pace, because I'm still tired from last night. Don't want to burn out because I have a 5 hour long seminar in Wing Chun tomorrow :p

Anyway, I think this is how it went:
    • Stretches & light calisthenics
      Brisk warm-up walk for two laps of a pitch

• Jogged for two laps of the pitch
      Brisk walk for a lap

• Jogged for another lap
      Brisk walk for a lap

• Jogged for another lap
      Brisk walk for a lap

• Jogged 3/4 of a lap, sprinted the last quarter
      Brisk walk for a lap

Brisk walk for a lap

Brisk walk for a lap

Brisk walk for a lap

Crawl home :P

• Advertisement

Still gone solo, will be doing week 5 during the week. Probably Wednesday or Friday :p

Here is what I did instead:
    • Stretches & light calisthenics
      Brisk warm-up walk for two laps of a pitch

• Jogged for one lap of the pitch
      Brisk walk for a lap

• Jogged for two laps
      Brisk walk for a lap

• Jogged for another lap
      Brisk walk for a lap

Brisk walk for a lap

Brisk walk for a lap

I had to leave early because I needed the loo, but more importantly, my shorts were rubbing my inner thigh raw (where I previously had shingles - still sensitive to this day) so I was in pain! Fairly disappointed to be honest as I could have went more but if I went any further, I'd have probably caused bleeding :/

No run today, doing it tomorrow morning :)

Great news though!

Checked the scales today:

11th April
    12st 8lbs
    Bodyfat: 20.9%

11th May
    12st 10lbs
    Bodyfat: 17.2%

I lost over 3% in bodyfat :D the weight gain is due to muscle methinks, with the running and training I've been doing. My clothes feel looser alright :)

Delighted my bodyfat is going down! Diet & exercise always works :D

Had a busy while there, now I'm getting back into it starting tonight with Wing Chun :)

C25K Week 5 day 1, complete! - 20th May, 2011

We were delighted today lol, t'was fairly easy given the week and a half break :D

After my weekend break, I'm back eating healthy too :)

Did it alone today, so no C25K plan but I did my own thing.

Brisk walk around the pitch
    Light jog around the pitch
    Dynamic stretching

3 minute run
    2 minute walk
    5 minute run
    3 minute walk

3 minute run
    3 minute walk
    5 minute run
    3 minute walk

3 minute run
    3 minute walk
    5 minute run
    3 minute walk

110 second run
    10 second sprint (don't ask me why, I just said I'd chance it )

Crawl home :P

C25K Week 5, Day 2 - Complete! - 27th of May, 2011

Went really well today, delighted with myself :D

Now that 20 minute jog is going to kill me the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Dont let that 20 min jog phase you one bit. Have confidence in the fact that you have been conditioning your body for the last 5 weeks, slowly teaching it to push that bit more everytime. 20 mins is only a next step for you and you will do it.
    I think when you see the '20' you kinda panic a bit. But if you add up the walking/jogging combo all along, you've been moving for 30 mins each go!

To add to your confidence, your martial arts training will stand to you - strong muslces will help you in the last few minutes of your run. ;)

Dont think about it - just get out there and put one foot in front of the other, nice and slow....try and enjoy it.

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Dont let that 20 min jog phase you one bit. Have confidence in the fact that you have been conditioning your body for the last 5 weeks, slowly teaching it to push that bit more everytime. 20 mins is only a next step for you and you will do it.
    I think when you see the '20' you kinda panic a bit. But if you add up the walking/jogging combo all along, you've been moving for 30 mins each go!

To add to your confidence, your martial arts training will stand to you - strong muslces will help you in the last few minutes of your run. ;)

Dont think about it - just get out there and put one foot in front of the other, nice and slow....try and enjoy it.

Thanks P!

Did the 20 minute run that day alright (actually 16 minute, needed one or two breaks) fine and was feeling tired afterwards for sure:)

I dunno how I did it today but me and a buddy walked 40 minutes to a certain route, ran that route (our usual was just lapping a field) and ran farther than I've ever run in my life. Left at 10:40 and finished at about 12:10! We walked every now and again but did sprints too, never stopped moving! That's about 90 minutes altogether :O

Methinks the new running will be this route and we're gonna finish the C25K in due time, this is much more amazing :D

Advertisement