Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dog aggressive on walks

• 04-04-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

In January I took in a rescue Shih Tzu. When I got him initially he was very frail and in pretty poor condition after years of neglect. On walks he was always very well behaved. After about a month we were in a friends house with a number of other dogs about. I was a little protective over my new guy as I was conscious he was not used to other dogs being up close and personal. His idea of playing is nipping and pulling (although he has gotten over this). My friends male dog did not take to this too kindly and attacked him. I'm not sure if this is what started off my own dogs agression towards other dogs.
    I already have a dog of my own and the two of them get on really well. Unfortunately when out walking I have to do my very best to avoid meeting other dogs. My new lad starts shrieking like a banshee. He has nipped a neighbours dog on the nose.... the poor thing didn't know what had happened. Even if he spots a dog across the street he starts almost choking himself to get at it and whining like crazy.
    I'm not entirely sure how to handle the dog in this siuation as I'm not sure whether I am adding to the issue. It's embarrassing to say the least. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Sorry to jump in here but I've been going through exactly the same thing with my boy, a neutered terrier x., and have been planning to post up about it. I think we're probably looking for the same sort of advice.

I think that training classes are the way forward - I will have to wait until May though to do this as I am up to my eyes with finals at uni. I hear that Dog Training Ireland do special sessions for dogs with aggression issues, and there are some local trainers in my area as well. If you're not in Dublin you should look into who does training in your area. Any other suggestions from people here for good trainers/behaviouralists would be much appreciated.

Also, what do people think about muzzles? My boy can be better when allowed to say hello to other dogs, but he is also unpredictable and can turn. Would it be a good idea to muzzle him (with a Baskerville type muzzle) so he can interact with dogs that he meets without being able to bite? Obviously this would be intended as a temporary measure until his issues are resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There are a number of ways of dealing with this, the first thing you've got to realise is that training is best provided in a controlled environment. This however is too much hassle for most people, you really need access to a controlled space, and the assistance of other dog owners who can do repeated walk-bys.

It's much easier to train in that environment than trying to correct your dog as it meets a random stranger's dog on a walk.

That said, it is possible, it's going to need work though.

There are "negative" methods to combat this, such as Cesar's "nudges", others might recommend water squirting or gas sprays - they can be effective, and you can research these on your own.

Positive methods are based on you always being able to snap control of your dog to you, and making sure they'll obey simple commands at all times.

The basis of this is calling and keeping his attention, this can be done with or without a clicker, the method is simple - every walk from now on you bring treats/food with you. Regularly during the walk you call his name and a command like "here". As soon as he responds feed a treat and praise, (or click and treat if using a clicker). Keep repeating this at random times during the walk, once he's responding regularly do it when he's slightly distracted. When he's good at it, you can also add a couple of steps (backward or sideways) as he comes to you, again praise (or click) and treat immediately.

Eventually you'll stop the treats (using them every 2nd time for a while) and just praise, and use the command as soon as he displays any desire to bark at or move towards another dog.

This is just a basic outline of this "positive" technique, googling training for aggression will definitely provide you with more detailed steps ... good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I met a lovely couple out walking their dog today and my new guy behaved as he usually did. They even hung around for a little while to see if my dog would calm down so they could introduce them. My guy was relentless, constantly howling and pulling at the lead. Meanwhile my other dog saw this is th ideal opprtunity to try to hump him (they are both male! )........ I was so embarrassed. The lady suggested a dog psychologist. I really need to do something as I'm finding walking them really stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Unfortunately I am still having issues with this little lad on walks. He still goes banana's whenever he sees another dog. I believe the problem is fear related. I have brought him on walks with a friends dog (much bigger male dog, less than a year old). My dog went nuts when we first went walking. Now he is calm enough when walking behind the other dog but he appears to freak out if the other dog surprises him.
    At times it seems like my dog has calmed down but as soon as they get close to each other my lad goes in to bite the other dog. He has been neutered in jan so not sure if it can be gender related.
    Friends had their two jrt's over for a few days. My dog and the male jrt had to be seperated at all times and in circumstances where they were in the room together my dog was very uneasy unless he had the other dog in his sight. With the female, my dog and herself managed to spend a while together with no issues. He initially growled at her and when she did not respond, things went smoothly. Later they were introduced again but when he growled, she did the same and he went berserk.
    I really think i'm gonna have to get a dog psychologist on the case, can anyone recommend one in the maynooth area.
    Thanks in advance for any help. I really want to get his issues sorted so he can enjoy walks rather than being on high alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Have you gotten in contact with a dog trainer yet? One who uses positive methods? This is your first step.
    I also have a rescue who was like that, thankfully not as bad and he has made great strides, (he is younger and so far never attacked)

• Advertisement
Advertisement