Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cook, cool and reheat - the best way to treat soups?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I made up a batch of my winter veg and chicken "broth" soup again last Friday. It was about 75 mins in the cooking and I had some for dinner, it was fine but nothing special. I slung the rest in the fridge, pulling it out today and reheated it. By God it was fantastic! Soup the the power to 10 and really tasty as all the flavours were brought out and the difference in the texture was marked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I find that with a lot of things like stews or anything with saucy. My favourite is bolognese at least two days old, the flavours are so much more than when first cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

I say its the only way to do it. Its the way all the professional restaurants do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Is it safe to leave it in the fridge that long? How long does soup keep without freezing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

lubie76 wrote: »
    Is it safe to leave it in the fridge that long? How long does soup keep without freezing it?

if its chilled quickly and then put in the fridge or freezer then there should be no issues. If you want to make sure just use clean ingredients to make sure no bacteria goes into the pot to start off with! Although since you do cook and then chill it you should kill most the bacteria off so it should be perfectly safe. If you put meat in it though i wouldn't keep it chilled for more than a day or two freeze it in that case.

Advertisement