Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red tattoo

Options
  • 04-04-2011 6:21pm

I have this idea to get a large outline of a compass done in all red on the left side of by back from the shoulder blade round to my lower ribs/pelvic bone.. Are they as risky as I've heard between fading and reactions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No, to put it quite simply.

I have red in a tattoo on my back, no reaction. Have some on my leg too and no reaction either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

As Melion said, I have red outline on a tattoo on my calf and I have had no issues. Tattoos will fade somewhat over time, but from my experience, red doesn't fade any more/quicker than other coloured ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Fading is always going to happen, with any color, so it's up to you if you want to have it redone every few years.
    I never had a bad reaction with my red tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭XcupcakeX

My boyfriend found the red ink itched for a while longer and took slightly longer to heal in his tattoos, but I didn't have any issues with red myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I'm no expert, but from what I've heard red ink is more likely than other colours to cause reactions. A friend of mine had quite a bad reaction, the tattoo took months to heal and faded considerably.

I wonder is there a kind of patch test you could get done?? I know I'd be apprehensive about getting red now.

• Advertisement

Was thinking about a test patch but not really sure where the hell i could so that.... I just don't want to have a a bad reaction over the entire length of my back when it's gonna be 35-40 degrees here in a couple of months. Would be tough dealing with it.

At the moment, I'm thinking to just do it in black and throw a red tattoo on my right ribs eventually.. At least that would be managable.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Every colour can cause a reaction (not trying to scare you or anything). I like you had heard that red was most likely to cause a reaction, but with me it was yellow, any yellow I have has rejected and caused a reaction. But red was perfectly ok. Each person is different. I have very very sensitive skin, and have quite a few allergies, so I knew that there was a risk i would be allergic to some ink....as a side line, I also discovered I'm allergic to bepanthen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Was thinking about a test patch but not really sure where the hell i could so that.... I just don't want to have a a bad reaction over the entire length of my back when it's gonna be 35-40 degrees here in a couple of months. Would be tough dealing with it.

At the moment, I'm thinking to just do it in black and throw a red tattoo on my right ribs eventually.. At least that would be managable.

I'd say ask a few tattoo artists if they can do a patch test, or maybe tattoo a small line in red somewhere discrete and see if you rect. It's not ideal, but better than having a large tattoo fade. I know with my friends one, it kind of went lumpy as well, it's small so not too bad but something large like that would look awful

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Have a big old red tattoo on my back, its holding up fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

sorry to have to say it - but a patch test is meaningless, esp if it is a small area.

I have seen red reactions to red ink that a person already has tattoed to them with no reaction, and worse yet the older red starts kicking up when the new red reacts.

the chances of a reaction are very small, but always present.

• Advertisement

Hmm.... I think now it's just a matter of biting the bullet. Now I'm thinking of just getting a red one on my ribs first and save the big one for after.

I could just do it in bamboo either. Had one before and there's no healing time at all. Red bamboo could be the best idea since there's less scarring in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The method use to apply it won't have any influence on the likelihood of a reaction unfortunately

Advertisement