Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Offaly

• 04-04-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tullamore Basketball Club Senior Mens team and underage teams (u-12, u14 girls, u-12, u-14, u-16 u-18 boys) at the moment.

Season coming to an end now but senior training will probably continue through the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Publicdiservice

Softball Open Day

Midlands softball team

Open Day Sunday the 17th April 3pm

Rossleighan Park Portlaoise, on the mountmellick Road.

Come along and try a great game, suitable to anybody 17-60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LifeCoach2011

Hi Guys,

I am a new member of the Offaly SPCA and I foster dogs for them as the pound is putting down up to 20 dogs every week and the poor little creatures haven't got a chance. There are only 4 fosters in the whole of Offaly and these are the only way the OSPCA can rescue dogs from that terrible fate. So if you or anyone you know loves dogs and would like to give it a go check out their facebook site and volunteer.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Offaly-SPCA/103795596373522?sk=wall

It is very rewarding and a lot of fun. They also need foster homes for kittens too.

Other than that the OSPCA also holds meetings in Tullamore and fundraises together to help cats, dogs and other wildlife. So if you are an animal lover this is surely something you will enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 port youth club

If you have time on your hands (approx. 2 hours at least once a month) and have an interest in helping out then portarlington youth club would be interested in hearing from you. Please email us on portarlingonyouthclub@yahoo.co.uk.

We run a club for 12 - 18 year olds every wednesday and we really need more volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi Guys,

I am a new member of the Offaly SPCA and I foster dogs for them as the pound is putting down up to 20 dogs every week and the poor little creatures haven't got a chance. There are only 4 fosters in the whole of Offaly and these are the only way the OSPCA can rescue dogs from that terrible fate. So if you or anyone you know loves dogs and would like to give it a go check out their facebook site and volunteer.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Offaly-SPCA/103795596373522?sk=wall

It is very rewarding and a lot of fun. They also need foster homes for kittens too.

Other than that the OSPCA also holds meetings in Tullamore and fundraises together to help cats, dogs and other wildlife. So if you are an animal lover this is surely something you will enjoy!
    Admittedly its been a while since I looked into this, but a few years back I was looking for a dog. My first thought was to go check out the dog pound in Tullamore to see if they had one that suited (I was after a specific breed). To my surprise I discovered that the pound is only open to visitors between the hours of 10am and 12pm 5 days a week. Due to me being in employment it meant that I couldn't visit the pound. Is this still the case? If it is I'm not at all surprised that so many dogs are being put down, as it doesn't accommodate the needs of people who might genuinely be looking for a dog.

• Advertisement

Tullamore Basketball Club Senior Mens team and underage teams (u-12, u14 girls, u-12, u-14, u-16 u-18 boys) at the moment.

Season coming to an end now but senior training will probably continue through the summer.

Senior Mens training sessions on Tuesday nights between 8-10pm in Clonaslee Community Centre. All welcome. €5 fee per session to cover cost of hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭The Prodigy 2

Hang yourself !
    this user is banned

Hang yourself !

I'm sure all the family and friends of suicide victims that read this will appreciate your input. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FrankKay

blow it off ireland and hang yoursellf
    This user has been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

Aquila wrote: »
    Post here details of any clubs,organisations you are involved in/with to inform the locality:)
    moate parade cancelled due to garrycastle beign in final i wonder if many more parades will be cancelled in ofally due to gaa final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

moate parade cancelled due to garrycastle in final i wonder if any other parades will be cancelled in ofally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Moate is in Westmeath, and no, i havnt heard of a parade cancelled yet in offaly due to Coolderry being in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Clara Bog visitor centre is worth a visit if you have children. Very interestng for adults too.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100003795532201

There's a board walk across the bog now and guided tours, the visitor centre is located at the Clara library on the Ballycumber Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Speaking of bogs, there's also the Boora Parklands which has walks, cycling trails and some sculptures. Apparently you can go shooting there too and look at model airplanes do their thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

The Slieve Blooms are amazing. Loads of walks, trails, eco-walks, a bog boardwalk, wildlife, waterfalls etc.

If you can pick up the Slieve Bloom photo map, it's €3 at local businesses and WELL worth the money, although admittedly it's due a bit of an update at this stage. It's got wonderful walks and drives laid out and lots of useful information about the area. We lived here for three years before finding it and were so annoyed how much we'd missed in that time. Now we go up to the Blooms at least once a week and have fun discovering the natural wonders on our doorstep!

Where is the bog boardwalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where is the bog boardwalk?

About halfway up the cut road I think. On the left. On the edge of Gortnameale if I recall correctly.

Let me see if I can get you Street View: -

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=the+cut+clonaslee&hl=en&ll=53.104898,-7.532201&spn=0.013475,0.026178&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=6.801985,13.40332&hq=the+cut&hnear=Clonaslee,+County+Laois&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.104902,-7.540371&panoid=d-2Gz3MYFRUV-W6sL1VsMA&cbp=12,180.6,,0,0

There ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭SNORBEAST

Look for Brian Cowen....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

Ballinagar Comminity Festival this weekend

Ballinagar, Tullamore, Co Offaly

12 km from Tullamore

Details available here

http://www.facebook.com/events/112827005532576/
    Tullamore Basketball Club are holding a meeting for all returning and new Senior Mens players next Monday 27th August at 21:00 in sacred Heart school gym.

Agenda to include membership fees, training times and venues, as well as future plans for the team.

All current players , and also any other players who may be interested in joining the team are welcome to attend. If you know anyone with an interest in coaching, please invite them to come along also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

Hit the road to Portlaoise! !!

Advertisement