Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good beginner bike?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey biker dudes! I'm looking to buy a beginners bike, I'm thinking something like a 250cc because I'm not 16 and drive a car so reakon I could handle it! um, I do like the look of a Suzuki Tu250 but theres not many around... I don't really know my way around all the models so looking for some recommendations if anyone can think of any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hey biker dudes! I'm looking to buy a beginners bike, I'm thinking something like a 250cc because I'm not 16 and drive a car so reakon I could handle it! um, I do like the look of a Suzuki Tu250 but theres not many around... I don't really know my way around all the models so looking for some recommendations if anyone can think of any?

Well it depends on what you want to do with it!? What type do you like? (sports, cruiser, etc) What size are you? (nothing worse than a 6'6" guy on something like a rebel).

You could get a Honda CB250 cheap enough. What your budget for the bike? Bearing in mind you'll need funds for gear, insurance, training, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I haven't got a huge budget, couple of grand on the bike would be my limit. I think i'd like something like a roadster bike, ya know not too cruisy not too sporty. I am 6'2 so would like something comfortable, i could be cramped on a 250 sports bike.

the CB looks nice, or maybe a hornet...

it'll mainly be for short enough trips here and there, nothin major.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You should read back along. There are tons of threads along these lines.

Personally, I started as a novice on a restricted Bandit 600 three years ago. After 5 months, I switched over to a restricted GSX1400 so go mad. As posted above, figure out what bikes you like the most and start from there.

After a bit of browsing I realise how ridiculous my previous comment was! Cheers for the advice...

There's a dealer here in Cork that has a VRX 400
    2813.jpg
    I know nothing about them but it really caught my eye. There's just something really cool about it.

• Advertisement

Ah ya, like your style, I'm a learner so 400 might be a bit much, I'll have to look in to the in and outs I think restrictions need to be factory installed...

Lovely bike though

You're not going mad :D AFAIK, these are learner legal standard. 400cc non-performance bikes are probably fine, generally speaking. Trust me, 400cc will seem puney to you very quickly. Cruiser style bikes are insurance friendly, genrally speaking, too.

** Don't assume you can't have the bikes you want- double check insurance etc every time **
    <copied and pasted from a similar thread yesterday>

You are still likely to be able to insure bikes with aftermarket restrictors but you may not get a discount like you would if it was a factory restrictor. Getting the cheapest possible insurance often becomes a 'principle of the matter' scenario. Don't be afraid to spend a bit more on insurance if it means getting a bike that really gets your juicies flowing. If you were that stuck for money, you wouldn't be buying bikes at all.

What age are you?

Cool, cheers thanks for the advice, that 400 does look lovely... I'm 25 so I'm not a 17 year old coming at the whole thing, I have a full car license but thinking of getting rid of the car and buying a bike. Im moving back to dublin so it'll just be a commuter thingy and perhaps a spin down the country at the weekends, I suppose a 400 would be a bit steadier and stuff, I don't want to be tearing the arse out it at 80 either, which I suppose I would with a 250 roadster style thing.

@cantdecide ya know the number of that dealer... might see how much he's looking for it.

021 477 5888 JT Motorcycles, Inishannon.

He has a million other bikes and he's a waffler so try and get him to get straight to the point. He has a habit of making up prices and changing his mind so you may have difficulty getting a price out of him. If he tells you he's losing his shirt on that bike, you owe me a coke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's a dealer here in Cork that has a VRX 400
    2813.jpg
    I know nothing about them but it really caught my eye. There's just something really cool about it.

Nice, I tried to look a VRX up on bikebuyersguide, it isnt available to select?
    what dealer is that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement