Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras

Options
  • 04-04-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the 10% allowance still holds true with regard to these new speed cameras. Was coming from Carlow back to KK and saw a van near Ballinabranagh cross roads. I'm happy enough I wasn't speeding but just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Whats the 10% allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Something to do with different speedometers in different cars they normally allow a 10% margin after which you are registered as speeding. I'm happy enough I stuck to about 80 but just for curiosity was just wondering does the allowance still hold true.

holyhead wrote: »
    Something to do with different speedometers in different cars they normally allow a 10% margin after which you are registered as speeding. I'm happy enough I stuck to about 80 but just for curiosity was just wondering does the allowance still hold true.
    Oh yeah the cars speedo. I've driven buy them at 65 mph and never got a ticket. On the motorway I drive at a steady 80 maybe and they can't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Most cars' speedo's over-read for some reason, especially at higher speeds. No idea why. If in doubt use the GPS.

If you're doing 140 kph it's probably more likely to be 128-132.

heh. Speedos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

They allow for 10%, yes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

10% of what though!
    Say the limit is 120...
    You think you're the man driving at 131 (living on the edge, nearly).
    Your car has a dodgy speedo that under estimates by ~10%....
    So you're actually doing ~144
    You get a fine + points (unless you give 10% of your wages into a brown envelope...)
    Did I say that out loud? ;)

Stick (close) to the limit boys and girls...

They allow for 10%, yes.

Speedos might allow for 10% but I'd say your cycling shorts don't.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

If you see "speedo" and you think
    speedo2.jpg

instead of
    speedo.jpg
    then you've caught the ghey...

Swimming attire which affords a low coefficient of drag is highly desirable, from a hydraulic point of view.

I know what you think when you see the word drag though licksy.

You deviant.

(Wow, speed cameras to licksy being a cross dressing pervert in 10 posts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Can somebody answer me this:
    What is the range of the camera? I mean, is it just within the speed camera signs on a road that they are clocking for? Or is it the whole stretch of road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Licksy wrote: »
    10% of what though!
    Say the limit is 120...
    You think you're the man driving at 131 (living on the edge, nearly).
    Your car has a dodgy speedo that under estimates by ~10%....
    So you're actually doing ~144
    You get a fine + points (unless you give 10% of your wages into a brown envelope...)
    Did I say that out loud? ;)

Stick (close) to the limit boys and girls...

The speedometer by law, cannot under read your speed.

They must over read and can be showing up to 10% higher than the speed you are actually travelling at.

GPS FTW, I can set the cruise control at nearly an indicated 130 and off I go content I am not breaking any laws ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Speedos might allow for 10% but I'd say your cycling shorts don't.

As you can see, they've had to allow for an extra 10% mass this year :D
    Cheshirecat.jpg
    Last week in England, I'll be wearing boards.ie gear until Kilkenny gear arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmtb

I was doing 80 ok maybe 81 or 82 at max last night and the bloody thing flashed me. Is that me done for? I drive past them everynight and never got flashed before. could it have being cars from the direction? so annoyed have enough points already. Does anybody know for certain. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Where was the van located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmtb

Carlow to Kilkenny just past the Dolmen Hotel in on left. They are always there 4 out 7 nights. Or going the other way past the dolmen hotel towards Carlow. I know someone who got ticket for 83KM in 80 zone thats why I am asking. It was near Toughers other side of Carlow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane555

When Im doing 110KPH on the speedo on my vw transporter im actually doing 102KPH according to GPS info, this shows more than likely vehicles read faster than they are travelling. My speedo is then out by 7% or so. As vehicle speed is measured by ABS sensors incorrect tyre configuration will I'm sure alter the displayed speed.

I don't know a huge amount about cars at all but if the speedo is out, would that not put the milage on the car out also? I met a camera operator at a cycling event and asked him a load of questions, some which he answered some which he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is there an operational speed camera outside the Springhill Hotel?

After a pain in the arse drive from the Castlecomer Road through town to the Waterford Road roundabout yesterday morning where I met with every class of fool in a car, van, truck, bus, tractor or on bike or foot when I got round the roundabout I felt a sense of freedom and never thinking put my foot down and was doing 40 passing the hotel before thinking, Oh f***, f***, f***, f****, f***! :(

How long before I get my speeding ticket? :( Double f***.

I don't think we have any permanent speed cameras around here, only on the M50 and north of Dublin according to the Garda website. Unless you passed a van with a big camera sign on it, I wouldn't worry. If you're only doing forty you should be fine anywhere except High St. and John's St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks. I didn't see a van but I did see a new camera sign plus a lot of suspicious devices attached to the top of the lamps on street lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

shane555 wrote: »
    As vehicle speed is measured by ABS sensors incorrect tyre configuration will I'm sure alter the displayed speed.

Vehicle speed is calculated via the transmission.Usually by sensors on the gearbox or differential.
    Tyre size or pressure will affect the speedometer too.

It's both actually. It depends on the car.

Fabbydabby is right but on most new cars its done on the abs sensors. Fours sensors will give an average speed. They can be calibrated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane555

Thanks. I didn't see a van but I did see a new camera sign plus a lot of suspicious devices attached to the top of the lamps on street lights.

More than likely anything thats mounted to the top of street lights is either a photocell for turning on the lights at dust or a traffic detector it doesn't necessarily mean theres a camera there!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

My wife got caught last week :D , I opened the garda letter.. photo of car number plate .. mine sure enough! Quickly glance down to see person doing 108km in 100km zone ... relief :P .. too slow to be me :rolleyes:

I got stung twice within half an hour by the same camera, once on the way out and the other on the way back. They had just changed the speed limits that weekend and I was below the old limit but breaking the new one by 20kph.

They put the camera van there immediately after changing the limit, specifically to catch people who hadn't copped the new signs.

Totally my fault of course, I accept full responsibility for not paying more careful attention to the road signage (I know the road well) but I am even more convinced it's a money racket now with that kind of underhanded behaviour going on.

160 quid and four fukcface penalty points. A-holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I got stung twice within half an hour by the same camera, once on the way out and the other on the way back. They had just changed the speed limits that weekend and I was below the old limit but breaking the new one by 20kph.

They put the camera van there immediately after changing the limit, specifically to catch people who hadn't copped the new signs.

Totally my fault of course, I accept full responsibility for not paying more careful attention to the road signage (I know the road well) but I am even more convinced it's a money racket now with that kind of underhanded behaviour going on.

160 quid and four fukcface penalty points. A-holes.

where abouts was this??

I hate travelling out the callan rd now, all those damn flashing signs and 50k zone :mad:

Shellumsrath. Callan road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Wheres the 50k on Callan road? Lowest is 60k afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

ft9 wrote: »
    Wheres the 50k on Callan road? Lowest is 60k afaik

at the bad bends before the car boot sale afaik

Advertisement