Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gorilla_ie wrote: »
    at the bad bends before the car boot sale afaik

Nope thats 60km, it is 50km just immediately after the roadabout on the way towards Callan, it isn't for very far but enough to get caught if your not paying attention.

What I am finding really annoying is on the way towards Kilkenny from Callan after the turns where it is 60km it changes back to 100km for approx 2km yet ALOT of people fail to see this and instead continue to drive at 60km from the turns all the way to Kilkenny.

Makes me wounder how observant some people are :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nope thats 60km, it is 50km just immediately after the roadabout on the way towards Callan, it isn't for very far but enough to get caught if your not paying attention.

What I am finding really annoying is on the way towards Kilkenny from Callan after the turns where it is 60km it changes back to 100km for approx 2km yet ALOT of people fail to see this and instead continue to drive at 60km from the turns all the way to Kilkenny.

Makes me wounder how observant some people are :confused:

It is actually 60km/h right from the roundabout, no 50k zone on Callan road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It seems to me as you come from Callan, that from where the twisty bends start until KK it is virtually 60 km the whole way in. I mean just past the bends your into Shellumsrath and then before you know it your at Margaretsfield. Can anyone confirm this.
    I have a serious issue with the speed cameras/safety vans. They shouldn't be set alight btw:) Nor should the vans or drivers be hassled:)
    However I really feel they are a revenue collecting excercise. I have a serious problem with this road recategorization hence lowering of previous speed limit. As one who has worked in Carlow, there is no safety issue with doing 100 km's from past the Dolmen Hotel until the motorway roundabout heading in the KK direction.
    I drove from Mullingar to Ardee. The Westmeath section of the road is 80km. However as soon as you enter the Louth portion of the journey, with the road no better, your back into 100 km's. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

For years it was safe to do 100kmh just before the Dolmen coming into Carlow and that was with a lot more traffic too.
    Now you can get done at 83kmh because its not safe:confused:
    Its nothing to do with safety.

Did you know as your tyres wear down your speedo reads a little faster:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

holyhead wrote: »
    It seems to me as you come from Callan, that from where the twisty bends start until KK it is virtually 60 km the whole way in. I mean just past the bends your into Shellumsrath and then before you know it your at Margaretsfield. Can anyone confirm this.

No when you hit the bends the road is 60km then at Tinnypark it goes back up to 100kn then at Shellumsrath its back down to 60Km untill the Callan roundabout.

Last Saturday evening and yesterday evening the van was parked just up from the Callan roundabout, impossible to see it until your upon it. A real money maker and I can't ever remember an accident there where as where the road has loads of bends, I haven't seen them there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There were two killed at Buckley Park about 5 (maybe more) years ago.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

There were two killed at Buckley Park about 5 (maybe more) years ago.

And that's in the 100km zone and no speed cameras:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Have to agree with the sentiment that these vans are poorly positioned. I'm not one for speeding but I know that these vans the past week or so are out to make money, not save lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

parked snugly at the callan red roundabout near the gateway arch the other day- shooting fish in a barrell
    Also unmarked car at Glendine regularly
    like shooting ducks in a row
    yet drive out to hennebrys cross or wide stretch as you leave comer and every nutter drives hazard free
    And they say its not revenue generating -its being operated like a shop they set up where the footfall is -not generally where they could actually impact on loopy speed kings

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

look, they are there for a reason and they are working !!

I have noticed a huge difference in my driving, not that i was a careless driver, but I keep to the speed limit religiously.

if people are still getting caught speeding by these vans then its down to their stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 lemur762

Thats all well and good but there really isnt any harm in doing 103km in a 100km zone. Speed isnt half as big a deal as poor road planning (users of the Piltown bypass will know what I mean)

Anyone know if they can catch you for other offences other than speeding? Had a dim light gone in the car tonight passing one (driving at the aforementioned 103km, please jaysus the 10% rule is still in, I'l let ye know how I get on! :( ). There is an on duty garda inside I take it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

Was doing 106km/h going pass a speed van a mouth ago and i didn't get a ticket. I was a bit worried about it. It's is a money racket and nothing else.

Advertisement