Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Needed

Options
  • 04-04-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm considering making a new build, mostly for software development/web design purposes. Might need to do tasks such as image editing (photoshop et al) and visualising from time to time. I'll probably stick with 4gb, but I am considering increasing to 8gb. Any opinions?

I already have Intel X25 SSD 120gb that I would like to use with this build. I will probably pick up a 1tb platter hdd at some stage, but think at the moment it would be, unless for good price, surplus to requirements.

I pretty much want a fast, quiet machine that has a bit of flexibility and to last me a good few years.

I'm not a heavy gamer (at least, don't plan to be), and not looking for anything such as 3D, Eyefinity, etc. Just on a casual basis.

Specific questions would be what is a good case for my needs: quiet, understated (don't need neon lights).

Graphics card with good Linux support: I think Intel and Nvidia were the king, but it seems AMD have opened up over the last couple of years.

I've done some looking into my self, just wondering if could get suggestions for an overall build from you guys? Would say a budget of €500-600, not including monitors and hdd (though don't mind suggestions on monitors).

Comments

Advertisement