Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Bank of Ireland Credit Card

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I’d really appreciate advice on this matter. I intend to go abroad for a 5 month trip and return in September. I’m 30 y/o. I have no overdrafts, no outstanding loans and no mortgage.

I have been a customer of BOI for 12 years. I’m currently going about applying for a credit card to pay for hostels and so on during the trip. So far in life I have avoided credit cards.

I applied for a Classic Credit Card at Bank of Ireland last week and got a phone call today looking for a Letter stating that I have a permanent role on my return home. Essentially I am going to be refused this credit card unless I can prove I have a permanent role to get stuck into when I come back in August! I have the savings set aside to pay my credit card bill every month on my travels and intend to cut it up on my return home. I am leaving a non-permanent role that I was doing for 8 months. That said I am pretty employable and there are lots of jobs available in my area of expertise at the moment. I do realise my luck.

Cutting a long story short:
    1. If I proceed with this application and I am refused, does a record of having been declined a credit card go onto some credit rating record for me? Could it impact my ability to get a loan or mortgage in future?
    2. Can anyone recommend a prepaid credit card or any other type of credit card I could opt for instead? Something that’s swift and straightforward, no nonsense.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

o2 money will have you fully up and running in about a week. your first topup in the shop is available immediatly and then a few days later a verification code goes out in the post and you can topup further. you get an actualy physical card too.

they claim it's accepted everywhere that visa is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Birdsong1982

Thanks a million Random. Any idea if there is much paperwork, verification and so on? And I don't have to be an O2 customer or anything?

Feeling miffed about the experience with BOI I'll admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

bring your driving license or passport to an o2 shop. buy the money card. they'll post out a verification code.

it's something like 2eur for the card and 1eur per topup, give or take.

full info www.o2.ie/o2money

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Can you use the o2 card if there is plenty money on it for renting a car overseas ??
    Cant find nothing on their website about it

It was impossible with the ulster visa debit card last winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You could try to get a prepaid mastercard (I have one from Neteller). It's also great for Ryanair flights as you don't pay their service charge for flights (my principal reason for getting it). There's no Government Stamp duty either, as it's issued from the US (open to correction on that).

You can load it using online banking, so you could manage your money that way. You will have to scan your passport and utilty bill and email them, as well as giving them a land line number to call you on

Sod BoI and the horse they rode in on. I reactivated an old company account a few months back, and went looking for a business Visa card (to cover travel expenses and bits and pieces like that). I wanted a measly grand limit on it, I ended up having to give a personal guarantee to get the card. If I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of setting up company accounts again with another bank, I'd have told them to shove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

The neteller prepaid card is super. It has your name on it, so car hire companies will take it, as will hotels etc;

You do need to verify your account, once you do that you get the physical net card as well as a virtual card application. The card itself is free, the have free top up options (including Ukash vouchers which you can buy in a shop all over europe), free point of sales us the only time you get charged is when you use it at the ATM. It's 4e not matter what amount you withdraw off your account!

I have one, and my actual credit card gathers dust as I hardly ever use it!

Advertisement