Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rent a motorbike near shannon?

• 04-04-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys. I have just applied for my A license driving test and im going to be doing it in the test centre in shannon in the next few weeks.......hopefully. I was wondering is there anywhere(or anyone) around where i could rent a motorbike to do my test on. My aprilia rs125 is a little sick at the moment. Also i believe you have to do the test on a 250 or higher?(which really makes no sense as the a1 license only allows up to a 125.....)
    Any ideas? Or even tips for the test itself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If you do the test on a 125cc, you'll get an A1 license - restricts you to a max of 125cc and/or 11kw or power. If you do it on a 250cc (greater than 125cc) you'll get an A license that after two years will be unrestricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I did a pretest lesson and rented the instructors bike for the test. I'd imagine a lot of instructors do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clumhoho

Does anyone know any instructors in the shannon/ennis area that i could contact?
    Also i was unaware the license would be restricted. What would it be restricted to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

clumhoho wrote: »
    Does anyone know any instructors in the shannon/ennis area that i could contact?
    Also i was unaware the license would be restricted. What would it be restricted to?

33bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

33bhp / 25kw for two years from the day you get your full licence (not the day you pass your test!). As for the test itself you will need a pretest to nail down the main things such as positioning, indication and observation but here's some pointers/tips to get you started that I used to help me along. When stopping due to traffic ahead, don't filter and stop a full bikes length behind the car in front (daily rider in dublin here so this took a fair bit of effort to get used to doing). When stopped I find it easiest to leave it in first gear with the clutch in, left foot on the ground and right foot on the break however on one or two occassions during your test you should put it into neutral and maybe do something with your left hand so the tester sees this. You need to check both mirrors every ten seconds or so, looking straight ahead between looking in each mirror. You should keep this up when stopped in traffic but also look around all possible entries or exits to a junction. If driving straight along the road and there's a lesser road to one side you need to turn your head so the tester see's that you've checked no car is going to pull out in front of you. If the speed limit is 60 you will fail if you go 70 but if other traffic is going above the speed limit try keep up with it as much as possible but don't ever exceed the limit by 10km/h. It's an instant fail for crossing a white line at any time so make sure you stop well back at junctions and wait for dotted lines before entering a bus lane to turn left etc. A good tip I got was to put a small reflective sticker or bright mark in the middle of the back of your lid so it's easier for the tester to see your head movements, if your lid is white then use a black sticker etc. Also, lifesaver when moving either direction from the centre of your lane, whatever the reason (obstacle avoidance, turning right/left etc). Anything else just ask, sick of typing on phone!

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks for the tips. I have had a few lessons already and am getting used to the observation stuff. Checking behind every parked car and side road!
    But on the note of the restriction, i thought this only applied if you were under 21? Perhaps i have been misinformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

clumhoho wrote: »
    But on the note of the restriction, i thought this only applied if you were under 21? Perhaps i have been misinformed.

The EU regulation that brought in the 33bhp restriction gave each the option of allowing Direct Access (DA) if you are over 21. Several EU countries allow DA but we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jayok wrote: »
    If you do the test on a 125cc, you'll get an A1 license - restricts you to a max of 125cc and/or 11kw or power. If you do it on a 250cc (greater than 125cc) you'll get an A license that after two years will be unrestricted.

Correct - but if OP only has an A1 learner permit (he didn't say) then he is only licenced up to 125cc so obviously can't do the test on a bike larger than that, a Class A learner permit would be needed.

A1 LP - do test on <=125cc - get A1 full licence
    A LP - do test on <=125cc - get A1 full licence
    A LP - do test on >125cc - get full A licence (restricted for first 2 years.)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ninja900 wrote: »
    Correct - but if OP only has an A1 learner permit (he didn't say) then he is only licenced up to 125cc so obviously can't do the test on a bike larger than that, a Class A learner permit would be needed.

A1 LP - do test on <=125cc - get A1 full licence
    A LP - do test on <=125cc - get A1 full licence
    A LP - do test on >125cc - get full A licence (restricted for first 2 years.)

AFAIK the bike needs to be over 150cc to qualify for the A test/licence, thought I don't know many bikes that fall between 125 and 149.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

OP, give Mo Garvey in Ennis a shout and see if she can help.

Tell her I sent you...

'cptr

• Advertisement

I was actually in contact with mo during the week about renting a cb250 for the test. Ill let her know when i chat her again haha thanks

Advertisement