Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another UPC thread

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all,
    So i've been having problems with my UPC broadband connection lately - mainly the latency issues. NO i don't have the EPC 2425 box.
    I'm a gamer - so latency is important to me. Two months ago my ping was about...30. It was stable, going about 2+-. Now during these two months its like all hell has broken loose on my internet connection - Its been jumping wildly from 30 to anywhere up to 500 ping, non stop. This weekend it seems to have finally gone stable again - but at around 110 ping, which is basically no where near my original ping. The speed is fine, but the latency has gone wild on me.
    I've been with UPC for over a year now, and throughout i've had a few problems (namely broadband and phone going out for a day or two at a time), but this is the first time i've had this latency issue.
    The game's servers are located in the UK - which previously was no issue to me at all times - yet now its killing me? Only i have this problem - people on other ISP's in my area don't share the same problem. So the only option left is me/UPC? I've checked all of my settings, but nothing seems to be the culprit.
    Is this congestion, or what?
    I'm connected with a 20 MB line. (not sure if it is fibre optic cables or not yet)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Same thing for me recently, except it only happened in the past week... Shankill area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ants3107

Nebwridge, Kildare for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'd say their network wasn't ready for 100mbit and the speed upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sargito

Mines good for a week then poor, haven't had the will power to deal with their customer service to be honest. will wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sargito wrote: »
    Mines good for a week then poor, haven't had the will power to deal with their customer service to be honest. will wait it out.

I'm certain they make the customer care services for this type of sh"t monotonous and annoying on purpose! Always puts me off ringing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Guys, I hope you do realize that there is no way for any ISP in the world to make any kind of guarantee as to latency and bandwidth between two random IP addresses on the internet. I do understand that the latency to that particular server in the UK was fine for a year, but links do go down, routers do break and contracts do change and in the majority of the cases this is all completely out of the control of your own ISP. Your expectations are completely unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ants3107

blaz wrote: »
    Your expectations are completely unreasonable.

Yes, but these kind of things don't just happen without reason - it is something had to happen at UPC for this to occur.

Advertisement