Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are these animals? from the Farmers J

• 04-04-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Reading the back of the Journal, we are sussing out what each one is. a good few i know:pac:, but what are these, and whats the differences between them?

Steers?

Heifers?

Weanling Bulls?

Weanling Heifers?

Bullocks?

Factory Bullocks?

Factory Cows?

Factory Heifers?

Dairy Bull Calves?

Young Bulls?

Dry Cows?

Cows?

lol:p

I think i want to buy cattle 200-300kgs?
    so should i be looking at Wealing Bulls prices ?:rolleyes:

oh and a big thank you to all who have read and answered my questions,

4 posts, with 2096 views so far, and 53 replies. even the wife is well impressed, and wants to ring the local mart in the morning. . :D

if only i had things ready that quick:rolleyes:

Thanks again folks
    NewBeefFarmer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

One of the secrets in life is to never tell people ALL that you know!
    So I'll start the ball rolling:

A Steer: Is a castrated male. He was born a bull calf, but somewhere along the line, typically at 6 or 8 months, he had an encounter with a burdizzo,(usually method-but others exist!), and the blood supply to his testicles became severed, thus rendering him useless as a breeding animal.
    Well thats the theory anyway. You'll soon be wanting to know what a rig is. But all good things to those who wait!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Reading the back of the Journal, we are sussing out what each one is. a good few i know:pac:, but what are these, and whats the differences between them?

Steers?

Heifers?

Weanling Bulls?

Weanling Heifers?

Bullocks?

Factory Bullocks?

Factory Cows?

Factory Heifers?

Dairy Bull Calves?

Young Bulls?

Dry Cows?

Cows?

lol:p

I think i want to buy cattle 200-300kgs?

oh and a big thank you to all who have read and answered my questions,

4 posts, with 2096 views so far, and 53 replies. even the wife is well impressed, and wants to ring the local mart in the morning. . :D

if only i had things ready that quick:rolleyes:

Thanks again folks
    NewBeefFarmer

Steers are males/bulls that have been neutered/casterated
    Heifers are females that havent calved yet.
    Males that have been taken away from mother (weaned)
    Females that have been taken away from mother
    Bullocks same as Anything with factory beside it means that it is Finished and ready for to be slaughered ,
    Dairy means milk(milk breeds) , dairy calves would prob be fresians or holsteins (or other dairy breeds)
    Dry cows are cows that have been dryed off before they calf to allow them to build themselves for calving(so they wouldnt go into negative energy after calving) . `they do not produce milk during this time ,
    Cows-females that have calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

A heifer is a young female cow that is still a virgin:D usually having its 1st calve at 2 years or 2 and a half!

I think i want to buy cattle 200-300kgs? so should i be looking at Wealing Bulls prices ?:rolleyes:

If it's males (Bulls) you're after yes, at this weight they are Weanlings I suppose, althougt 200Kgs aint much of one!

If it's females (Heifers) you're after, then Weanling heifer prices are what you're after.

Huge variation on prices typically controlled by breed and quality.
    Get yourself to a sales and take notes of prices for the weights you're after.
    There are agents out there who will buy stock for you to you're requirements and charge you a premium per head supplied.
    Again I would urge caution on this and only go with someone that you can trust, or has been recommended to you by some you trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Don't get bulls! Rearing bulls for beef is not for an inexperienced farmer. You need good facilities and herdmanship. Heifers can be handfull too, especially when they are bulling (i.e. in season and ready to accept the bull, this happens every 21 days). You know yourself, females can be difficult around this time of the cycle;).

I'd advise steers or bullocks (same thing). These are going to be the easiest cattle to handle for you starting off. And if your buying them yourself at the mart, look out for the quieter ones, or at least avoid the obviously excitable ones!

Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Ok really confused now. We always had cattle, so am i looking at steers then?
    Prob only need to know what the diff between cattle bullocks steers weanlin bulls.
    If i want cattle what am i looking for?
    If i want cattle at 200-300kg what am i looking for?

Ok really confused now. We always had cattle, so am i looking at steers then?
    Prob only need to know what the diff between cattle bullocks steers weanlin bulls.
    If i want cattle what am i looking for?
    If i want cattle at 200-300kg what am i looking for?

A bull is a fully fertile male.
    A steer or bullock (same thing) is a castrated male.
    As weanlings, bulls have pretty much the same temperment as steers/ bullocks. As they get older the testosterone kicks in and bulls get agressive.
    Bulls don't like mixing with other bulls and fight alot. Farmers are attacked and killed by bulls. Bullocks aren't like this as they've been castrated and therefore don't have the testosterone causing all the agression.
    Bulls are usually pushed with feed/ meal and are slaughtered at between 16 to 20months.
    Bullocks/ steers are usually finished (which means the feeding period before slaughter) and slaughtered at an older age, upto 30 months old.

Straight forward isn't it?:confused:

My main point is bulls are dangerous animals and not for someone how is inexperienced at farming. I think others will agree with this.

Christ no, i dont want a bull:D

So is a young steer or bullocks just called steer or bullock. So its steer prices i should be
    looking at.

Im interested in the 250-300kgs

great help
    thanks
    NewBeefFarmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Where are lads finding these 200-300 kg bullocks (steers - more of a factory term)?? :confused:

In my experience most male weanlings of that weight are still bulls.

I think newbeeffarmer for a new person to beef, your not doing too bad with your research.

My advice to you is go with your gut and buy a few bull weanlings. Just make sure before you go, that you've a neighbour organised that knows how to use a burdizzo to squeeze them once you've them home and settled. Make sure it's not just 'pub talk'. Alot of lads will claim to have squeezed loads of bulls, but push comes to shove and you ask them to do it for ya, they make up an excuse and run a mile!:rolleyes: If you can't find a man in the village, get the vet to them, although it'I work out a bit dearer (call out charge + about €7/head)

Heifers are grand too, but you'I need to make sure you've good boundary fences and the neighbour hasn't a bull nearby or they'I break your heart.

Be prepared to make plenty of mistakes. It's the only way you will learn. Don't be too hard on yourself when you do make a boo boo. Listen to everyone, but do your own thing in the end.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

It is nearly impossible to buy a 300kg weanling as a bullock these days as nearly all are sold as bulls.
    I usually buy around 30 of these type of cattle every spring.
    I have 23 bought so far with the first group arriving on 11th March.

They are similar in quality and size to last year but they are costing 90 to 100 euro a head more. Even at that my agent has been looking since Mid Feb for cattle and bought nothing for the first three weeks due to the high prices.

I still think they are reasonable value though and should turn into good stores by November and leave a small profit.

Prices are crazy in some marts though - a neighbour bought a load of 600kg bullocks last week for 1200 euro even. He is one of those guys who has always bought monstrous cattle and can't kick the habit.
    I can't see the point in it.

So when tippman said (on my other large thread) (lots of questions) 15 cattle between 250-300kgs was he talking about steers/bullocks or weanling bulls which id have to squeeze myself(vet).

Sorry for all the questions
    Thers only so much huniliation one can take,
    Its like walking into a shop for jeans and coming home with a thong in the bag :D

i dont want this to happen lol.:P

Looked at the F J last nite, and the lightest steer/bullock
    Was 350kg on the price list.

Hmmmm,
    Buying a 350 now and factory sept 2012.
    Hmmm:confused:

Looked at the F J last nite, and the lightest steer/bullock
    Was 350kg on the price list.

Hmmmm,
    Buying a 350 now and factory sept 2012.
    Hmmm:confused:

Don't worry too much whether its a bull or bullock, at 350Kg, most likely bulls. Simple task to squeeze (castrate) them, and you then have bullocks.
    The option is there to sell them off grass at the backend as store bullocks, so you don't have to winter them or fatten them unless you want to.

Right, so.

Anything i should expect if i buy weanlin bulls at 250kg say,
    Looks like ur right ill have to have them squeezed. Whats the cost does anyone know

Right, so.

Anything i should expect if i buy weanlin bulls at 250kg say,
    Looks like ur right ill have to have them squeezed. Whats the cost does anyone know

There are many things that you could expect and only experience will teach you. Get yourself to a sales with someone that knows the score.
    You really need to know what you're at. For example a weanling at 250Kgs could be a lovely quality but very young calf or an older sick calf that didn't thrive.

I never paid to squeeze weanlings. I do them myself. You're vet will do them but won't be cheap. Probably someone local to you doing that work too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

So when tippman said (on my other large thread) (lots of questions) 15 cattle between 250-300kgs was he talking about steers/bullocks or weanling bulls which id have to squeeze myself(vet).

Sorry for all the questions
    Thers only so much huniliation one can take,
    Its like walking into a shop for jeans and coming home with a thong in the bag

i dont want this to happen lol.

Hey NewBeefFarmer

You have so many questions i can't keep up

When i said cattle between 250-300kgs i meant bullocks (so already squeeze)

I see some of the guys on here saying they would still be bulls (so not snipped), and it depends completly on the area of the country you are in. In South Tipp the majority are still bullocks although bulls are getting more popular unfortunately.

Other areas could be majority bulls, it depends on variety of factors (fair bit of dairy in my area relative to sucklers)

We have bought 45 in the last 2 weeks all between 250-350 so they certainly do exist :D Unbelievable dear though:mad:

I recommended bullocks (cattle) for you as they are far easier to manage and to handle than bulls IMO, certainly starting off you should not be going near bulls i would say

Thanks tipman. Ya think we need to take ourselves to the mart. If you bought 45 now, may i ask what you do with them? Whats your strategy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tipp Man wrote: »

I see some of the guys on here saying they would still be bulls (so not snipped), and it depends completly on the area of the country you are in. In South Tipp the majority are still bullocks although bulls are getting more popular unfortunately.

Tippman

It seems I'I have to go to Tipp to buy my cattle :D Seems to appear that different parts of the country vary regarding when they castrate. I shouldn't have really being talking in general terms when I haven't been to marts in all parts of the country:o

Just out of curiosity, what age are cattle in your part of the country when they are squeezed? Done as calves? Just off the cow (sucklers)? Are the cattle you've bought bucket fed dairy bred calves?

in the west, the majority of suckler farmers seem to sell their weanling males on intact.

It falls to the next lad coming along to squeeze if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

any weanlings i sell i sell as bulls, any of the smaller ones i keep on I have the vet squeeze and they will be sharing housing with heifers for winter, its not over expensive to have done and i find the vet does a better job, for years we used have this chap and that chap doing it and you would always end up with a lad with one stone that wasnt done right and maybe bulled a heifer and all this messing, im sure there are plenty of lads that can do it just as well as vet does it did mind you. anyway for the sake of a few quid id sooner have someone else stand in behind the little feckers while i hold the tail :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Muckit wrote: »
    Tippman

It seems I'I have to go to Tipp to buy my cattle :D Seems to appear that different parts of the country vary regarding when they castrate. I shouldn't have really being talking in general terms when I haven't been to marts in all parts of the country:o

Just out of curiosity, what age are cattle in your part of the country when they are squeezed? Done as calves? Just off the cow (sucklers)? Are the cattle you've bought bucket fed dairy bred calves?

in the west, the majority of suckler farmers seem to sell their weanling males on intact.

It falls to the next lad coming along to squeeze if needs be

Well as i said earlier there wouldn't be a whole lot of sucklers in my area (relative to dairy). Those that are suckling usually seem to castrate around weaning (usually a little before from what i see)

Nearly all the cattle we buy originate from dairy herds, either dairy guys rearing calves on outside land or fellas buying calves from dairy farmers. Most of these are squeze in the summer/early autumn and are sold out of the sheds as yearling bullocks. This years the prices are outrageous so we are way behind with our buying

But we are seeing more bulls now than say 5-10 years ago (when they really were a rarity), which really isn't helping our buying either.

I think it depends mainly on whether dairy or suckler is more prominent in your area

Advertisement