Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare letters on completion of college

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be finished my masters this summer in DIT Aungier St. and I am wondering is it possible to get the college to write students a letter to say they are finished college so that I can sign onto the job seekers allowance for the summer. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and where/who do you talk to for such a letter?

Cheers Mo,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You should have claimed welfare at the start of your Masters as the 'normal' student rules don't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lessismore

Talk to your department secretary, they will probably have a form letter so you will just need to go in and give your details. The letter should be dated the final day of the academic year regardless of when you get it. Your dole can be backdated to that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MoMo1987

Nolanger wrote: »
    You should have claimed welfare at the start of your Masters as the 'normal' student rules don't apply.

what do you mean? can you claim social welfare when you are doing a masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lessismore

I'm very confident that you can't claim the dole while a full time student ... you may have been eligible for back to education allowance which i don't really know about, but not dole. Students aren't even entitled to dole during the summer time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

lessismore wrote: »
    I'm very confident that you can't claim the dole while a full time student ... you may have been eligible for back to education allowance which i don't really know about, but not dole. Students aren't even entitled to dole during the summer time!

You can claim it as a mature student, but to be considered a mature student you need to be out of education for at least 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

MoMo1987 wrote: »
    Hi,

I will be finished my masters this summer in DIT Aungier St. and I am wondering is it possible to get the college to write students a letter to say they are finished college so that I can sign onto the job seekers allowance for the summer. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and where/who do you talk to for such a letter?

Cheers Mo,

Has the prospect of a summer job ever crossed your mind? Jobs may be thin on the ground, but they do exist. May as well put that masters degree to good use!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MoMo1987

Naikon wrote: »
    Has the prospect of a summer job ever crossed your mind? Jobs may be thin on the ground, but they do exist. May as well put that masters degree to good use!

As I have a job with one of the biggest accountancy companies in the world starting in September I will be enjoying my time on the dole during the summer while i write my thesis. thanks for the witty remark tho

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

As I have a job with one of the biggest accountancy companies in the world starting in September I will be enjoying my time on the dole during the summer while i write my thesis. thanks for the witty remark tho

it wasnt a witty remake. the dole isnt there for you to have a paid summer holiday, it is for people who have fallen on hard times and are trying to find a job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Jim236 wrote: »
    You can claim it as a mature student, but to be considered a mature student you need to be out of education for at least 3 years.

Im pretty sure this is incorrent. I enquired about this when I started back doing mine and being in full time education is the same as working in their eyes so you arent entitled to the dole. No one on my course gets it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If you are writing your thesis in the summer you will still be listed as a student until then so you're unlikely to get this letter you seek.

Congrats on getting work in sept. As you say you will be enjoying your summer off you would probably be defrauding the state by claiming job seekers allowance as you say that you will not be actively looking for work in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am probably going to be scorned for this but anyway. You should not be allowed claim social welfare unless:

(a) You can prove you are incapable of work for the given period
    (b) You are actually looking for a job
    (b) You have built up a running total of welfare credits

Don't rule the job out yet op. You never know, you might land one with the correct attitude.

Axwell wrote: »
    Im pretty sure this is incorrent. I enquired about this when I started back doing mine and being in full time education is the same as working in their eyes so you arent entitled to the dole. No one on my course gets it either.

Well I know a chap in college who is claiming the dole and he says its cause hes a mature student, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Well I know a chap in college who is claiming the dole and he says its cause hes a mature student, so...

i know a chap in college who is ****ing prince...
    doesnt make it true

everyone i know whos been on the dole and in college has to sign off i september and back on in the summer, as a mature student you should get the back to education allowance, and if your on the dole for 12 months before hand it more then doubles, other then that a grant is your only option i believe

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This thread is about a student specifically on a Masters trying to get payments. Your friend could be on BTEA (not the dole), but they arent doing a Masters which is the whole point in question here. You arent entitled to BTEA doing a masters unless its an Education Masters or a HDip. If they told you they are getting the dole then they clearly know as much about the process as you do, so....

This thread is about a student specifically on a Masters trying to get payments. Your friend could be on BTEA (not the dole), but they arent doing a Masters which is the whole point in question here. You arent entitled to BTEA doing a masters unless its an Education Masters or a HDip.

I didn't bring up the dole, so I don't need a lecture from you on what this thread is about. I haven't tried to claim the dole and I'm not a mature student, so I can only go on what he says.

Well then if you dont know the facts dont post like you did giving the OP false information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes you can, as an MA/Mwhatever when you finish your exams, you can apply for jobseekers provided you are seeking and available for full-time work. It is at the discretion of the Social Welfare Officer.
    You should check the welfare.ie website.

Well then if you dont know the facts dont post like you did giving the OP false information

It wasn't information the OP was looking for, read the bloody topic ffs.

Post 4 they asked could they get the dole on the masters and your reply stemed from that. The point is your information is incorrect for the OP or anyone else reading it for that matter. You cannot get the dole as a mature student, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi,

Cheers Mo,

Why not ask the college?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Post 4 they asked could they get the dole on the masters and your reply stemed from that. The point is your information is incorrect for the OP or anyone else reading it for that matter. You cannot get the dole as a mature student, end of story.

Ok.:)

Advertisement