Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP Address with Eircom

• 04-04-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to change the setting on my router (Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3) to a fixed IP address which I've got from Eircom.I only got the fixed IP address from Eircom and tried tonight but no joy accessing the internet after I changed to the static IP address.Is there any more settings to change? I also have allowed IP pass through for one of the PC on the router.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you bought a static ip the router will get the same ip leased to it every time, you should not need to change anything, just portforward to the pc in question on the router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭davebuck

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If you bought a static ip the router will get the same ip leased to it every time, you should not need to change anything, just portforward to the pc in question on the router

But the router is set to obtain an IP address automatically so I clicked static IP address and keyed in the address I got from Eircom should I also have the subnet mask and gateway IP address?

Thanks

davebuck wrote: »
    But the router is set to obtain an IP address automatically so I clicked static IP address and keyed in the address I got from Eircom should I also have the subnet mask and gateway IP address?

Thanks

Yes, it obtains it automatically, but it gets the same one every time.

You'll need subnet mask and gateway to put them in manually, automatic is the same thing

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, it obtains it automatically, but it gets the same one every time.

You'll need subnet mask and gateway to put them in manually, automatic is the same thing

So do I leave it obtain the IP address automatically? and not key in the static address I got from Eircom?
    Thanks

So do I leave it obtain the IP address automatically? and not key in the static address I got from Eircom?
    Thanks

Yes. Your router will have a static ip, you'll need to port forward to your pc/server. What exactly are you trying to do?

• Advertisement

I'm trying to remote view CCTV which is on a PC connected to the Eircom router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How much did the robbers over in eircon charge you for the static IP?

BTW what you are doing can be easily achieved by dyndns hostnames

€50 for the IP address

I'm trying to remote view CCTV which is on a PC connected to the Eircom router

Right, you're going to have to give your pc a static ip address in the subnet of the router, give it 192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.254. Set dns manually to 213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236.

Then you'll have to portforward the port the camera uses on your router to 192.168.1.10, guide here:
    http://portforward.com/

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement