Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water softners/ limescale remover

• 04-04-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Anyone had one of these installed lately and if so what do you think. From looking around it would seem you can get Limescale removers & water softners. IF a device removes limescale which causes build up in pipes, baths/toilets etc to get brown staining why would you get a water softner. Also I know you can get your water tested but how can you tell if you have hard water or just heavy limescale.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi, I wouldn't be an expert, but Limescale is the biggest indicator of hard Water. Limescale can do serious damage to any heating elements or Piping. I've seen
    1 1/2 pipe completely closed with Limescale in office blocks.
    It's also important to have you water tested to make sure you don't have high levels of Bacteria or nitrates in the Water.
    The most common form of Water Softener is a Salt plant. But you have to keep buying salt to feed it. However there are some other systems available now which don't require much maintenance.
    I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Anyone with an opinion on these http://www.aquaeuro.ie/Details_eu.asp?ProductID=225 ,the system 30 instead of a salt version which costs around 350/500 euro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

cubix wrote: »
    Anyone had one of these installed lately and if so what do you think. From looking around it would seem you can get Limescale removers & water softners. IF a device removes limescale which causes build up in pipes, baths/toilets etc to get brown staining why would you get a water softner. Also I know you can get your water tested but how can you tell if you have hard water or just heavy limescale.

Limescale is formed when hard water is heated. You always see limescale in kettles, dishwashers, washing machines and heating system etc... but not cold water systems.
    I'm guessing limescale removers only temorarily remove the scale from inside equipment / appliances but you would be far better off with a water softener if you are experiencing limescale issues.

Important - softwater is good for appliances etc... as stated above but not good for drinking water. If you are considering a "whole home" water softening system, only treat the water going to the tank in the attic and not the cold water tap in the kitchen (drinking water).

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    Anyone with an opinion on these http://www.aquaeuro.ie/Details_eu.asp?ProductID=225 ,the system 30 instead of a salt version which costs around 350/500 euro ?

Hi Gerry,

I have many years commercial and industrial experience working in water treatment but not domestic. Can't comment on the item in your link because I've never used or seen one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Philistine wrote: »
    Limescale is formed when hard water is heated. You always see limescale in kettles, dishwashers, washing machines and heating system etc... but not cold water systems.
    I'm guessing limescale removers only temorarily remove the scale from inside equipment / appliances but you would be far better off with a water softener if you are experiencing limescale issues.

Important - softwater is good for appliances etc... as stated above but not good for drinking water. If you are considering a "whole home" water softening system, only treat the water going to the tank in the attic and not the cold water tap in the kitchen (drinking water).

Most important that new born babies are not to be given soft water. Parts of Kildare Town recently were introduced to hard water and it's playing havoc with the appliances etc.... People kicking up murder!!!!! I've lookied at the few systems that are out there and too be honest I would recommend the non electric version (it's the one I got), people will see the difference when the meters come in........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Philistine wrote: »

If you water is hard from scale, regardless if it is hot or cold it causes all sorts of problems. It is only made worse when heated up, as you can see from your kettle or say shower head.

A water softener will sort out this out but the down side to having one fitted is, you then can't drink the water if your tap in the kitchen is treated, as there will be increased levels of sodium in the water.

The other option available is to fit a scale reducing filter and separate tap in your kitchen and use this to fill your kettle from.

Fitting electronic ion exchangers won't remove hardness (scale) from water.

ronaneire wrote: »
    If you water is hard from scale, regardless if it is hot or cold it causes all sorts of problems. It is only made worse when heated up, as you can see from your kettle or say shower head.

What sort of problems are caused by hard water that's not heated creating limescale?
    A water softener will sort out this out but the down side to having one fitted is, you then can't drink the water if your tap in the kitchen is treated, as there will be increased levels of sodium in the water.

Which is why I said DON'T treat drinking water or tap in kitchen

Advertisement