Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best joint supplement?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for the best joint supplement. A bit of background would help!

I have a 21yo TB, he has a very slight touch of arthritis and has injured his legs in the past.

I put him on Cortaflex for a while which worked well, then he seemed to become immune to it. I was recommended NAF Superflex, which again worked well for a while and then the effects couldn't really be seen/ immune to it.

Started him on Gold Label Bute Free, which seemed to work wonders, but I'm wondering if I should be using something with Chondrotin and Glucosamine? The main ingredient in Bute Free is Devils Claw, but I am not sure if I should be supporting the joint/cartilage or just using the Devils Claw as a anti-inflamatory?

Any advice/ suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

In the last year, have been using Top Spec Senior Feed Balancer for the older horses (2 in their 20s and one almost 20). One has arthritis and was always quite stiff. On the balancer he now looks and feels like a 10 yo. They all do. Never seen anything like it. It isn't cheap but it's made a huge difference. The eldest of the three didn't come into last summer looking great and we thought she may not get through this winter but she is thriving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

My mothers old boy (29 now!!) was on Cortaflex also and similar to you it just seemed to stop helping after a little while.
    He has moved onto Mervue Equine EliteFlex Forte now which seems to be helping a lot :)
    This has both Chondriotin sulphate and Glucosamine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I've been using Cortaflex for 3 years now and its working away perfectly.
    My mare is 20.

There are differences in the various types though. Regular strength was fine for awhile but not any more.
    I did not find the powder to be as effective as the liquid either :)

Cortaflex Liquid HA + ASU is the one thats doing the job for me.

I'm also feeding Curragh Carron oil, which is a really cost effective way to get in EPA and DHA's.
    You should be feeding something to lubricate the joints as well.

Also, there seems to be a lots of Cleavers about this year, the sticky back things that grow in the hedgerows? Natural anti-inflammatories just like Devil's claw, you can feed them fresh, liquidise them and give 30ml a day, or dry them out and add them to feed. If they help, its free right? There are instructions online for feeding them safely. I don't feed them as my mare has issues when she is in season, and dehydrates very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pukeymcpukerson

Asu 6000 the only scientifically proven joint supplement. Around 60 euro for mths supply

Advertisement