If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic amp to connect to PC

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice simple amp to hook up to my PC, pref with A/B speaker outs as my PC is in the shed and I'd like to hook the amp up to some outdoor speakers for the summer. Any recommendations...

Ps. I used to work for you many many moons ago back on the quays.. Down in the Xmusic basement.. :p:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi unklerosco.

I'm intrigued.....as I'm here longer than the beard from a ZZ top member and I probably worked with you at some stage. :confused:

Anyway, the A&B speaker switching does change the price category of the amp that you are looking for.

The basic 2 speaker output amp that we have is the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 which is £79.95. This is a decent little amplifier that will power a pair of speakers but if they are outdoor speakers, then you may need a little more power.

If this is the case then the Teac Ag790 has a load more power and also has the A&B speaker switching. This is £149.95.

Let me know what you think of these.

ATB

Dave

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

unklerosco wrote: »
    Hi,

Ps. I used to work for you many many moons ago back on the quays.. Down in the Xmusic basement.. :p:p

Evening DOC,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thanks for the info Dave.. Been reading up on some reviews online and the CA Azur 350A seems to get great reviews and has all the features I need. Do you, or can you get these? I see on the website you do the higher spec Azur models..

Thanks for the info Dave.. Been reading up on some reviews online and the CA Azur 350A seems to get great reviews and has all the features I need. Do you, or can you get these? I see on the website you do the higher spec Azur models..

Unkle,

yep that AZUR 350a is a really excellent amplifier and streets ahead of the AM1 (it's from the Topaz range) in every respect - however it is more expensive at £229.95 but to be honest it really is worth the extra!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What would it cost to get the amp (350A), some semi decent speaker cable (about 15 - 20mtr), some banana plugs and a decent set of interconnects to go from the PC - amp delivered to Dublin..

• Advertisement

What would it cost to get the amp (350A), some semi decent speaker cable (about 15 - 20mtr), some banana plugs and a decent set of interconnects to go from the PC - amp delivered to Dublin..

Unkle,

Thanks again for the response!

Cambridge Azur 350A - £229.95
    Cambridge 4MM banana plugs * 4 pairs = £19.96
    Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 * 20 Mtrs - £15
    SWA3527 - Phono>3.5mm interconnect - £9.95
    Delivery - £12.95

Total = £287.81 - call it £285!

(On the cable front - without going over the top - I would recommend the Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 - it's £0.99/Meter but when ordered in a system we generally do Boardies a 20% cable discount (so we will bend the rules and call this a system!) so we could do 20 mtrs at £15.)

The SWA3527 PC to Amp interconnect assumes that you have a minijack output from the PC - if you have a proper soundcard and have RCA/Phono outputs you can substitute the SWA3523 at the same price..

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.