Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killing rushes without chemicals or ploughing

• 04-04-2011 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Discuss please :)

Read this recently:

"The best and quickest way to control rush is to cut the rush as early as possible in the year when the frost can help kill up to 40% of what\\\'s left without any chemical, which reduces your cost. Another advantage of cutting at this time of year is that the sap has dropped and the rush becomes more brittle and easier to cut, using less fuel. Surprisingly the advantage of cutting rushes is that they provide effective fertiliser as they contain 70% NPK value of farmyard manure, so the cut rushes can put humus back into the land and help boost grass growth."

http://www.nots.ie/full_story.php?uniqueID=32

Not interested in the machine. But am idly interested in how Organic farmers handle rush infestations. I did not know about the frost effect before this.

Thoughts, opinions, on the above process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

If it works it sounds like a great job . If we get frost this year as hard as last year i will try out a bit just to for the craic .Don't know what the neighbours would if they saw me out in -5 topping though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sounds like it could make sense. But, a lot of things can be made to sound that way :pac:

Have we any Organic farmers on here by the by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

We are in the organic scheme. We have to cut rushes this way, works aright but I'd imagine it takes longer than spraying. Takes a few goes to thin them out rightly.
    Before anyone mentions it- I know drainage is key aswell:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Who ever came up with this is living in dreamland. I tried this for years Cutting twice a year. Cutting before winter, cutting in spring, cutting in mid-summer, cutting before the seed head developed.

Waste of time.

Even in good quality upland has become infested in rushes, this would be free draining land.Cutting heavy rushes without burning or disposing only blocks the light to the new growth.

The is only one answer to get rushes under control...spraying, then cut and then spray again for about 3 years to control them. Even then they come back as the rush seed can last in the ground for about 40 years. I read this somewhere and I think it would be true. I did 8 acres last year and it's clear now. I did 8 acres last week and hoping for the same result. I estimate that I have about 40% more grass in each field.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

I topped 35 acres of moorland that i couldn't get to last summer. All finished by the end of March. The neighbours are still looking at me as if I have lost it , again. Hoping to get in miscanthus in 15 acres of this moor by mid May. Yes I am taking a gamble, but I gambled on forestry 13 years ago and that is going well.
    moy83 wrote: »
    If it works it sounds like a great job . If we get frost this year as hard as last year i will try out a bit just to for the craic .Don't know what the neighbours would if they saw me out in -5 topping though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

benjydagg wrote: »
    I topped 35 acres of moorland that i couldn't get to last summer. All finished by the end of March. The neighbours are still looking at me as if I have lost it , again. Hoping to get in miscanthus in 15 acres of this moor by mid May. Yes I am taking a gamble, but I gambled on forestry 13 years ago and that is going well.
    Did you top in the frost ? If you did is there much new growth coming back now ?

I didn't top in the frost, but it has gotten gentle frost since. Regrowth is still happening. I intend to top again in the coming week, and then spread urea. I know it makes no economic sense with the cost of diesel and fertiliser, but the weather has rarely been so good.
    moy83 wrote: »
    Did you top in the frost ? If you did is there much new growth coming back now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

benjydagg wrote: »
    Hoping to get in miscanthus in 15 acres of this moor by mid May. Yes I am taking a gamble, but I gambled on forestry 13 years ago and that is going well.

forestry is one thing, Elephant grass will change its name to white elephant in time to come. :D:D

Yes I know it is a BIG gamble, but I do believe we need to think of alternative sources of energy. If I can heat my own house, and sell a little surplus. I will start a thread so you can all have a good laugh!
    charles wrote: »
    forestry is one thing, Elephant grass will change its name to white elephant in time to come. :D:D

Advertisement