Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakes for swimming

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Is there any lakes that are suitable for swimming ( i know the weather would want to get a bit better :D ) preferably in the south mayo area. Would prefer one that there might be other swimmers using it , just for safety reasons .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

k mac wrote: »
    Is there any lakes that are suitable for swimming ( i know the weather would want to get a bit better :D ) preferably in the south mayo area. Would prefer one that there might be other swimmers using it , just for safety reasons .

I was involved in the recovery of a young mans body from a lake in County Mayo last year, stick with swimming pools far safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Acknowledging the post above but swimming in Corrib, Mask and Cara could not be classified as dangerous in the designated swimming areas. The People of Ballinrobe and surrounding areas have used the lakes as their pool as we dont have one.

Ballinrobe People have always swam at Cahir Peir. About 3 miles outside the town. Keep Left at the Guarda Station and follow the road to the lake.

Brownstown on the Cara is another area. Take Ballyglass rd out of Ballinrobe and take the 2nd left.

The Chalet in Cong is on the Corrib and is the place where the people of Cong swim.

Petersburgh in Clonbur is on the Mask and again is used by the people of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

I was involved in the recovery of a young mans body from a lake in County Mayo last year, stick with swimming pools far safer
    Thanks for your reply and i agree swimming pools are much safer and thats where i will be doing nearly all my swimming, however i want to try some open water swimming as i am training for a triathlon and want to practice in the open water. The reason i want to swim where other people are is to give a bit more safety about it . I might try those places mentioned above. Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

If you wish to have company and some added safety, the Tri-Lakes club swim in Lough Mask starting from next month and also Lough Hackett just outside Tuam, check out their facebook page. Better safety in numbers I always find and you can get lots of tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

thanks very much for that tinder, i will definitely do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

There are many areas on the lakes that are shallow and sandy so you need not worry about going out of your depth, as mentioned above Brownstown on Lough Carra is good, Moorehall on the north shore is also excellent but can be very busy on summer days. Depending on where you live, Tourmakedy also has a place near Paddys Pub which has a sandy shore going out for about 70meters. If training for a triathlon its better to get open water practice. The club mentioned above are well set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I shouldn't mention it because I love this spot and like to see it remain quiet, but tbh it's a little out of the way

There's a Castlecarra just beside Carnacon on Lough Carra, not far from Moore Hall. Here's there is a nice little bay by the castle and a lot of flat rocks for diving and bbq'ing. Everyone who goes is really good and cleans up, even when they are having a day there with beers.
    It's a little walk through some private land and a forest but is my favourite swim spot, moreso than a beach.
    That and it has been incredibly cool walking from there to MooreHall across the lake these two winters (ice)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i keep thinking of mayonnaise when ever i see this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Overature wrote: »

Great contribution!

OP im in the area and interested in trying open water swimming too for my first triathlon if you want safety in numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

do not swim in lakes they are the most dangerous place of all sea is ten times safer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

you can drown in a few inches of water, always tragic, but you can die leaving your own home too. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't leave it

If you see a pretty lake, and it's warm and sunny, then jump in I say

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Overature wrote: »

Aye and we will think of immature when we see your posts ;)

Definitely it seems fine in Lough Mask as my mate swims there a good bit along with a group for training.
    But as always, caution with the water and best not to go out alone.

Advertisement