If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on wifi? What to get?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hiya, hoping you guys can help.

I have a sony crt that we don't really want to change, however, i'd like to get the internet on it, and have wi-fi in the house.

I had looked at hooking up a PC or laptop, but connections apparently don't work well quality wise.

Is there a dvd / blue-ray player I can get that will do the job? (can you quote me for everything, so if it needs a dongle, how much that would be.)

Failing that - whats the cheapest 42" plasma you do (that would allow me to use wi-fi.)

thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi alowe.

Sorry, we appeared to miss your post !

What access do you want to have ? Basic access to youtube etc or would you prefer something a bit more versatile ?

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Hiya,

I want to view sky on it. I have a valid subscription to sky, and can view online myself already - but obviously only on the laptop, and would like to be able to view it on the tv itself. I'd also like to possibly view films I have on a hard drive, although this isn't essential as I have one that I can connect through a media hard that I have.

Laptop only has vga connection (no hdmi or dvi), and tv only has scart or s-video.

We're taking a brief look at an xbox 360 - but it appears you need to pay for a gold membership to watch sky, so not really the type of internet access I was after.

Thanks for your help

Hi there.

The Philips BDP7500 B2 would be one of the best player in terms of the level of access it gives you, but you can't access all sites on it and unfortunately sky player is one of those sites.

It's priced at £199.95 and I could do free delivery on it.

Unfortuantely I don't know of any blu ray player on the market that will allow you to do what you want to do.

The Xbox will, but you do need the subscription.

Sorry I can't bring you any better news.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I think in order to do what I want, I really need to be able to connect my pc to the tv ... so i'm going to try to persuade the other half to upgrade our tv.

Would you have a price for a suitable 42" - needs to be able to view football or other face paced games without ghosting, needs a vga input. Although we have a sky hd box, we don't have hd, or any intentions of paying for it in the forseeable future. Also, we have a sony surround sound system that we don't want to replace, its a dav100 (I think) - so needs to be able to take this too. Again, we don't have a blue-ray player, although may get one of these in the future (hopefully.)

Thanks a million for your help,
    aisling

Hi aisling.

Are you thinking of something at the entry-level side of the market or do you want to spend a bit more and get something a bit better ?

Would you like web browsing on the TV with streaming access or is the PC always going to be plugged in ?

Is there any other features you would like ?

Thanks

Dave

• Advertisement

Hi Dave,

Our budget would be around £500, but really not much more (and preferably less). It needs to have saorview though (sorry just thought of this, and hoping you guys sell those type of tv's.)

I will most likely always have a PC attached to the TV, so don't need to pay for the extra feature of web-browsing in the tv.

It needs to be viewable from a few angles, i.e. nearly head on, and also very much to the side (i'm thinking plasma is better for this?) We're sitting a min of 8ft away from the screen. We do have young kids who over the next few years will have a habit of putting sticky hands on the screen (hence the initial reluctance to move from a crt.)

I can't think of anything else,

thanks
    aisling

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Alowe.

Dave is off today so I was having a little look to see if I can help anyone out.

I have noticed that you need the new TV to have saorview built in.
    Unfortunately this is a service which is only available in the South of Ireland.
    All the screens we sell are UK spec, (Even though most if not all, are compatible with MPEG4 and have both UHF/VHF tuners allowing them to operate in the South).
    I'm not even sure if anyone has made a screen with saorview built in as its a very new service.

Panasonic did put FreeSat into their screens but they tend to be at the higher scale of the market.
    Panasonic are currently in the process of releasing new screens:
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/385811/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

I dont have a price on these screens as of yet nor which we will be stocking :(

LG at the moment are making really nice screens. One their only two 42" Plasmas at the moment is the 42PJ650 priced at £399.95. Its 600Hz sub-field so will really help when watching football.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/lg/42pj650/lg-42pj650
    LG are going to release a New range soon but I do not have any info at present on the new Plasma range.

I hope this helps you a little.
    Any other questions let us know.

Hiya,

I'm still trying to persuade the other half to update our tv. We got a loan of a sony 40" lcd bravia for a week - and while a nice tv, the ghosting on even golf was terrible!

I'm thinking about the following 2 tv's on your site:
    LG42LD450 or the Samsung PS42C450

Which is better for viewing sports, movies, etc.

thanks a million for your help

Hi Alowe.

If it was my money I would go for the LG 42LD450 or even the LG42LD490 which gives you NetCast access via your screen. :)

42LD450 priced at £369.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/42ld450/lg-42ld450

42LD490 priced at £399.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/42ld490/lg-42ld490

Both screens are currently in stock and delivery on either of these would cost £25

If you have any further questions please let me know.

You could even go for the 42PJ350 which is 600HZ sub filed and would handle sports better than the other two screens mentioned above.
    Although the PJ350 is only HD Ready it still has a fantastic picture.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/lg/42pj350/lg-42pj350

• Advertisement

You could even go for the 42PJ350 which is 600HZ sub filed and would handle sports better than the other two screens mentioned above.
    Although the PJ350 is only HD Ready it still has a fantastic picture.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/lg/42pj350/lg-42pj350

Thanks for that. It doesn't mention, but I presume the above has MPEG4?

Hi Alowe.

Yes the screens mentioned are all MPEG4 compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dazmetron

Hi Alowe.

Dave is off today so I was having a little look to see if I can help anyone out.

I have noticed that you need the new TV to have saorview built in.
    Unfortunately this is a service which is only available in the South of Ireland.
    All the screens we sell are UK spec, (Even though most if not all, are compatible with MPEG4 and have both UHF/VHF tuners allowing them to operate in the South).
    I'm not even sure if anyone has made a screen with saorview built in as its a very new service.

I've no wish to hijack this thread but I just want to point out that a large number of TVs have been certified as being Saorview compatible. http://www.saorview.ie/ has a full list of TVs that have been certified to date. In general, a tv with an MPEG4 tuners can receive a SAORVIEW signal but MPEG5 is required to get full use of the service including digital Aertel and EPG.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

dazmetron wrote: »
    I've no wish to hijack this thread but I just want to point out that a large number of TVs have been certified as being Saorview compatible. http://www.saorview.ie/ has a full list of TVs that have been certified to date. In general, a tv with an MPEG4 tuners can receive a SAORVIEW signal but MPEG5 is required to get full use of the service including digital Aertel and EPG.

Daz,

hope you are well - and apologies for the above - Dave & myself normally deal with all Saorview enquiries and Kenny is just filling in - as you say most of the new Sammy / Sony / Philips / LG ranges will be Saorview certified and of course the Walkers (not an exhaustive list I know)..

Thanks again for the pointer and apologies for adding to the overall confusion..:confused::confused:

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Just looking on your site, and whats this one like?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/samsung/ps42c450/sams-ps42c450

It seems a great price to get a 42" into the house.

Also, I've read a lot about the panasonics really been outstanding - are they really worth saving for the extra, or are the above mentioned LG and samsung not that bad?

Hi alowe.

Yes indeed the price on the Samsung PS42C450 is a great price for a 42" screen.
    The Samsung 42 would need collected from the Belfast store as it is an in store only purchase and we would be unable to ship this screen :(
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/samsung/ps42c450/sams-ps42c450

The extra money on a Panasonic would be well spent in terms of features, connections and overall picture quality. Panasonics are among the leading flat screen manufacturers along with LG and Philips.

Agian the LG's also mention before are very nice screens and interms of features and picture quality out perform the Samsung in my opinion.

Firstly, I just want to say thanks for answering all my q's. We saw the Samsung in person today, and liked it, so if u recommend the LG over it, then I'm really interested. The pj350 mentioned above is listed as in store only. I'm just wondering if its possible to deliver this, and if yes, whats the best price for tv and delivery.

Thanks again.

Hi alowe.

Unfortunately the 42PJ350 has been dropped down to the crazy price of £299.95 on the website but has been also moved to an in store only purchase.
    I would not be able to have this product shipped.
    Due to the price drop we have one of these screens left in stock :(

Is it a Plasma that you have you mind set on?

I thought that might be the case, and unfort I couldn't get near you till Monday. I'm more inclined for a plasma due to been able to view at more angles, and. Also better for little sticjy hands.

HI Alowe.

Sent you a little PM also.

:D

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny & co,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your advice and help above. I've tried my best to persuade hubbie to change tv's, but he's not budging ... so unfort, i'm going to have to leave off getting a new tv for a little while longer :-(

thanks,
    alowe

Hi Alowe.

No problem at all!

Thats what we are here for!

If you manage to change his mind in the future then just give me a shout and I can check and see what is available for you.

:)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.