Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on scope for target shooting

Options
  • 04-04-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

looking for a scope for a CZ 455. target shooting.

complete beginner and with a budget of about 300 euro.

Dizzy with all the choice, can anyone shorten the list for me please.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..................... in .22lr or .17HMR?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

.22lr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Weaver

Tasco

Bushnell Banner

All good scopes, fine target reticles available, and all with a model for you budget.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I have a Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 on my .22lr...
    Something like that would suit your purpose as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As your cz will be shooting mainly in the spotter class you are restricted to 6.5 max zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

clivej wrote: »
    As your cz will be shooting mainly in the spotter class you are restricted to 6.5 max zoom

But, AFAIK, you may have a higher powered scope, but the scope must remain set and taped (by a competition RO) at the x6.5 mag zoom during any "sporter" class competition. Happy to stand corrected on this? Which then leaves you free to use whatever magnification you want out and about in the field or when on the range (i.e. not competing in BR).

Tasco don't have a majorly great reputation (particularly compared with the higher-end and more expensive scopes), but that said, I have a Tasco on my .22 CZ and whilst the glass is no where near the quality of my Nightforce NXS (obviously!), it's still plenty good enough to shoot quite well on the range at 50 & 100m. For the budget you're aiming at, Tasco's are certainly worth a look. AFAIK Sean Harding in Stakelum's usually has a couple - so maybe give him a buzz to see what he's got and at what kinda prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

dCorbus wrote: »
    But, AFAIK, you may have a higher powered scope, but the scope must remain set and taped (by a competition RO) at the x6.5 mag zoom during any "sporter" class competition. Happy to stand corrected on this? Which then leaves you free to use whatever magnification you want out and about in the field or when on the range (i.e. not competing in BR).

Tasco don't have a majorly great reputation (particularly compared with the higher-end and more expensive scopes), but that said, I have a Tasco on my .22 CZ and whilst the glass is no where near the quality of my Nightforce NXS (obviously!), it's still plenty good enough to shoot quite well on the range at 50 & 100m. For the budget you're aiming at, Tasco's are certainly worth a look. AFAIK Sean Harding in Stakelum's usually has a couple - so maybe give him a buzz to see what he's got and at what kinda prices.

Yes your correct on that point :o

was shown a Swift premier 6-24x50. looked pretty good and in budget

any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

was shown a Swift premier 6-24x50. looked pretty good and in budget

any opinions?

From my experience over priced rubbish !

Bushnell, Tasco or Weaver are very good as suggested already

• Advertisement

From my experience over priced rubbish

Would disagree. For the money they are a great choice. Everyone will have had a bad experience with some model of scope and it'll put them off it for good.

For example everyone raves about the Burris Fullfield II. I bought a new one and had nothing but trouble with it until it eventually fell apart in my hands, and thats not an exaggeration. It actually came apart in my hands. For a €600+ scope its not what i was expecting.

I've had 4 Swift over the years. Glass is not great at long distances same as with the Bushnell Banner, but for a .22lr its perfect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Special Ops,
    Am I missing something here? You have €300 to spend on the scope alone? If so, DO NOT go with the lower end glass.

€300 is plenty - more than enough to get you a great piece of glass for your rifle.

I would suggest a Burris. I do not know if you can pick up a Leupold in Ireland for that cash. However, if you cannot, go with Leupold's little brother - Redfield.

The Burris and the Redfields are in-expensive, but there is nothing cheap about them. Nikon is another inexpensive but not cheap glass.

Also, what do you want to shoot? Targets? Bunnies? Give us an idea as to what you want to do and maybe we can help determine magnification.

A quick look on ebay.ie has a great scope at €130. I have several of them. I could afford to put any glass I like, however, chose Burris
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BURRIS-FULLFIELD-II-2-7X35-BPLEX-MATTE-FINISH-200123-/380305826463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588bfe629f

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I have a clearidge ultra xp 6.5x20x40 scope on my cz 22 and find it great.
    319 dollars from the www.theopticzone.com
    It is very clear and sharp even at 20 mag.
    It has target turrets and a lifetime warranty.

looking at target shooting, this is a hobby not a way to feed myself (at the moment).

there have been some very good brands mentioned so far (thanks for that), magnification....... whats needed for a .22lr shooting targets and what kind of reticle for targets? there seem to a few to chose from.

many helpful responses so far, thanks

As was mentioned previously the top mag allowed in sporting .22 is 6 power. That be put on and taped in place for comps, but when you're out shooting a few bunnies you may want a bit more. There is no need to go huge mag. 12 to 16 power would be plenty.

As to reticle. You could go for something like the Duplex reticle. The crosshairs are made up from "heavy" lines. Where all four lines meet at the dead centre the heavier lines "fade" to thin lines for the last 1/5 to give a fine crosshair. You can still see the target when shooting comps and if out after the bunnies the heavier lines will give you quick acquisition.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8LpoNnHdpfLmlrm5QALtbB5O_HZac6rmkyIAGRd8U_sAZK2cY

Of course if bunny shooting is not that important or like me you prefer the thinner crosshair simply look for a fine crosshair reticle. The lines are thin and the same from edge of the bell/housing to the centre.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdOenCH2xpKU9h6TUDzKq6FUEBCXTDxc7oM3A9C2dZcRhyIw20N8eQYoz3jQ

anyone heard of this place

http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/

any good? better options in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

You could do a lot worse than the €300 one here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231450

Advertisement