Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this letter mean??

• 04-04-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

So if someone gets a letter from a social worker in an adoption dept asking them to contact that dept im assuming this means the BM wants contact??!???? All the letter says is:

Hi
    I am enquiring if you would make contact with me at this office. Leave a message with a phone number if i am unavailable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, it could be ur birthmother or another member of ur birthfamily. give the sw a ring back will put ur mind at rest, good luck. kathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Assuming from your previous post that you were for information I am assuming that you made contact with them and its probably a result of that.

Perhaps your SW has all that info on file already but they would prefer you to meet them in person for them to give it to you. SW's are usually pretty careful as it can be quite upsetting getting info - no matter how small. I know when my daughter was looking for this info she had to go in person.

Anyhow let us know how you get on and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Hi Guys,

No i didn't make contact. I had decided that i had managed fine for this long in my life so i wasn't going to take any further action.

Then a letter in the post!!

So i rang the social workers office on monday, nobody answered so i left a message like the letter had instructed me to do if there was no answer. No call back all that day.......... or for the last four days!! I have rang the office again and left a message with the receptionist incase my first message had been lost or something! Has anyone else experienced a wait this long?? i know they are very busy workers but i have heard nothing from any adoption dept all my life and now that i have id like to know exactly what it is in relation to and not play the waiting game! Am i being unreasonable?? I know i do not have any patience but its melting my head thinking about all the possibilities of them sending me this letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi Flipall,

My trace was done through the HSE in park house and they have 3 Part time Sw's and 1 full time one so I wouldn't worry. She may only work one day a week or week on week off type of thing. On the other hand I wouldn't let it just go indefinitely either so no harm following up with a second phone call just to see what it was all about. You could ask the person on the phone what days etc the person works or if theres another SW who might be able to fill you in a bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

tyview wrote: »
    Hi Flipall,

My trace was done through the HSE in park house and they have 3 Part time Sw's and 1 full time one so I wouldn't worry. She may only work one day a week or week on week off type of thing. On the other hand I wouldn't let it just go indefinitely either so no harm following up with a second phone call just to see what it was all about. You could ask the person on the phone what days etc the person works or if theres another SW who might be able to fill you in a bit. :)

We also dealt with a lovely social worker from Park House, it was my partners sister who was trying to get in contact with him (his biological sister).

• Advertisement

The letter is also from them (weird) but still have not heard back from them!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alisuz

Hey flip all,

Did u ever hear what they were contacting u for?

Hi,

Apparently i was just unlucky that the social worker took two weeks holidays when i got the letter and nobody else could deal with my case or tell me what was going on!!

It was my birth mam trying to make contact, 25 and a half years of nothing and then BOOM a letter marked "private & confidential"

Has anyone on here had a good experience of meeting their birth parents?

Im being very judgemental (i know i am) but my birth family are from a very different background and very different situation so i decided not to do anything about it at the moment, my life has just started being nice and quiet and i think i like it that way for the moment with no complications! :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I must say mine was quite good.

We stay in regualr contact through email and facebook as my job has me outside of Ireland.
    Really happy I did it.

Bear in mind that it may not have been 25 years and then "Boom".
    In my case my birth mother had tried to contact me and it wasnt handled correctly and nothing got through to me.
    On the other hand when I went to search this made my search alot easier as there was up to date details available on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

flipall wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone on here had a good experience of meeting their birth parents?

Hey Flipall,

I was in contact with my birth mum about 12 years ago, we lost contact and then a few months ago she found me on facebook of all places. Cut to the chase, she was in Ireland for a couple of weeks in august and we met up and it was great, she even met her grand kids. I'm delighted I met her and am hopin to go over to see her next year.

It all happened very quickly once we were in contact again, but take it at your own pace, if you're not ready you're not ready. You'll know when it's time for you, and dont' let your self feel rushed into it either. I would recommend however getting the contact info etc. and just havin them somewhere you can go to them if you do decide to get in contact with her, as it can often take a lot of time to get that info from the SW when you have to go back and start from scratch. But that's still got to be something you're comfortable with doing, and if you're not then don't do anything about it until you are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement