Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

GothPunk wrote: »
    I think with E3 coming up soon they might be saving the announcement of any new firmware features for then. They need to get everything up and running again before they can think about adding on new features I would have thought.

Maybe we should wait and see what happens first before we get our knickers in a pre-emptive twist?
    Cross-game chat has been requested for years, it's not a new thing people have been clamoring for.

They're in a tough position with that though because as far as I know, the amount of memory they devoted to the XMB was small, which is probably why it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure they'd love to have it, but obviously someone made a complete error in vision during the R&D of the PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Wolfie, lol at 'Stem Cell Research' in that pic. WTH?! :pac:
    Cross-game chat has been requested for years, it's not a new thing people have been clamoring for.

They're in a tough position with that though because as far as I know, the amount of memory they devoted to the XMB was small, which is probably why it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure they'd love to have it, but obviously someone made a complete error in vision during the R&D of the PS3.
    I thought it's been there on Dev units for months now? When PS+ was first announced, some of the EU PlayStation websites listed cross game voice chat as a PS+ feature, but that reference was quickly removed. I also thought with a lot of the firmware now being stored on the hard drive that they were leaving themselves with more room in the flash for new features?

As if I didn't know people have been asking for cross game chat for years. It's only one of the most talked about features ever. :p

Besides, I wasn't referring only to features like cross game chat/video chat. There are pretty solid rumours on GAF about an update to the PS3 browser, and with the NGP coming out the PS3 is going to need updates to handle compatibility with new devices like that. We haven't had a big update in such a long time, I guess I'm just hopeful we'll see some useful new features more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

AFAIK Cross game chat can be done they are just unsure about implementing it as it leads to an awful lot of cheating. People can be on one team and talking to their friends on the other team instructing them.

To be honest i rarely talk to anyone online and even "in game chat" can be annoying never mind listening to a load of people playing a totally different game.

I'm just happy the PSN is coming back this week things got so bad that i went out into the sun and went for a jog :confused: terrifying.

Free stuff is good but i will prob own it already looking at the list of stuff ive bought. If they said you can download anything up to a value of 10 euro then at least people could pick and choose.

Looking for Google Chrome to be put in as the new web browser as the one in place is kind of garbage.

Not really bothered about the CC stuff if the hackers go to all that trouble, sell my info to some criminals who then go about stealing the princely sum of 1 euro 14 cents from my account it won't ruin me.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Brian017 wrote: »
    "New PS3 update will force owners to change passwords - passwords can only be changed on PS3 on which the account was originally created''

what happens to people who have got new PS3's like me. will their account be forever lost now?

You can request the password change by verification e-mail provided you registered with a legitimate e-mail address.

Might also be possible by to change via Playstation/PSN website.

You'd imagine it'd be hard to screw up a mechanism to change passwords. I wonder if I'd be surprised if they manage it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Read a full transcript of it and the Japanese journalist kept asking the same questions.

i-8Wvvm6p-L.jpg

No chance of any more class action lawsuits any more, bet Sony are happy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Im shocked Sony are actually offering any sort of freebie so fair play to them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

iMuse wrote: »
    Im shocked Sony are actually offering any sort of freebie so fair play to them :)
    Attitudes like this are baffling to me.

From the conference last night:
    Q: Was this hack exploiting a known vulnerability, or a new one?
    A: The one at this time was a known vulnerability, but SNEI management was not aware of it. We're creating an information security officer to improve that. (Sony declined to discuss details of the exploit... it sounds like protections against it aren't in place yet.)

News item on the conference :

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

like everyone, im not at all happy with what happened. however, what do people actually want sony to do for compensation? The service is free, has been for 5 odd years.

this should never have happened but lets be honest, no matter what sony offer, people will complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Surely a free fivers worth of a subscription and a free game or two is worth an invasion of privacy and potential credit card fraud?

No?

Remember that we're not necessarily entitled to anything though, so something, not matter how small, is better than nothing.

True but I'm still more concerned about how they tackled this whole thing - for instance, why wasn't there some proper communication with all users potentially affected by this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Attitudes like this are baffling to me.

Im not defending Sony or anything, just surprised that they are offering anything in return other than a worded apology considering how badly they have handled the whole thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Varik wrote: »

No chance of any more class action lawsuits any more, bet Sony are happy about that.

That won't be long being challenged. Americans are too fond of being able to sue for anything going wrong. To be honest, all countries should have the ability, it would stop big business being able to tie up individuals with reams of legal nonsense to suffocate their cases.

whiterebel wrote: »
    That won't be long being challenged. Americans are too fond of being able to sue for anything going wrong.

And republicans are too fond of large corporations and not raising taxes for the top 10% of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Another reason i think online has ruined this generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

here's some interesting info on the numbers and locations of those affected, info was handed out to people attending the Sony press conference

2r74qs4.jpg

Sony also handed out how the hackers manage to attack PSN

2dqnkb5.jpg

Liked this chart of users broken down by country:
    yvfye.jpg

So 10% of all Ireland have a PSN account, and unlike the US or Japanese numbers it's unlikely that many of those are secondary account for the store access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

"New PS3 update will force owners to change passwords - passwords can only be changed on PS3 on which the account was originally created." This is from the PSN press conference and I have a question. Because my original PS3 is broken and gone the way of the dodo, does that mean that I cannot change my password and now that user name et al is gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

"New PS3 update will force owners to change passwords - passwords can only be changed on PS3 on which the account was originally created." This is from the PSN press conference and I have a question. Because my original PS3 is broken and gone the way of the dodo, does that mean that I cannot change my password and now that user name et al is gone?

No i read some where that you can also change it on their website too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

You're not talking about online gaming in this case though, you're just talking about the Internet in general. Just because the Playstation Store etc is accessed through a console is the only difference between PSN being hacked and say any other website's database. Like amazon for example. Nothing to do with online gaming, or if it is, it's a very tenuous and incidental connection. Online gaming isn't the reason the PSN was hacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Wha?

This is from the PSN press conference and I have a question. Because my original PS3 is broken and gone the way of the dodo, does that mean that I cannot change my password and now that user name et al is gone?
    Kenno90 wrote: »
    No i read some where that you can also change it on their website too.

I would assume if they were doing something like that then it would be limited to PS3s that were activated under the account before the hacking rather than the PS3 is was made on (the first activated one).

This would stop someone who has your details changing it when PSN comes back up as they would need one of you PS3s.

With the PS app out i would like some sort of 2-step verification, it's a reassurance when dealing with gmail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

thats a serious amount for ireland.

got a ps3 myself today tho, does anyone know if when the psn comes back and i sign up an account i'll get the free bonuses their giving for this hoax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

vlad2009 wrote: »
    thats a serious amount for ireland.

got a ps3 myself today tho, does anyone know if when the psn comes back and i sign up an account i'll get the free bonuses their giving for this hoax?

Good question, according to them they say only affected users will get it
    Update: We're hearing that Sony's "goodwill gesture" may not be an incredibly significant one -- affected users can expect a free 30-day subscription to PlayStation Plus and a free software download of some sort, while Qriocity customers will get an extra 30 days of service on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

I guess its something that Sony are giving us PS+ for 30 days. There are discounts on certain items in PSN with this so thats good. I don't think the initial breach is the reason for the goodwill gesture though, but the lack of information that was forthcoming from them and with how long the PSN has been down its something that i think they needed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I find it funny people think getting a month of PSN+ is a "gift". Guess what? Anything you download while on PSN+, including any "free" games, cannot be accessed after that month unless you continue to subscribe to PSN +. They're giving you nothing other than a limited free trial disguised as a "goodwill gift."

Soby wrote: »
    No one in the Uk seems to have a psn account ? :P

Over nine million..? ;)

Edit: Ninja delete... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Rumour has it that the PSN hacker story was a big smoke screen , and that it was a collaboration between PSN and the CIA to leave only one account open and track down some user called "x-OsamaBOOM-x ,
    He likes a game of LittleBigPlanet of a Sunday evening .:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Desire. wrote: »
    I find it funny people think getting a month of PSN+ is a "gift". Guess what? Anything you download while on PSN+, including any "free" games, cannot be accessed after that month unless you continue to subscribe to PSN +. They're giving you nothing other than a limited free trial disguised as a "goodwill gift."

Do you keep the discounted item(s) you bought with your own money after the 30 days?

F1ngers wrote: »
    Do you keep the discounted item(s) you bought with your own money after the 30 days?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Bin Laden was the hacker.
    The US playstation troops shot him so it's all good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

osama bin laden shouldn't have used his real name on the psn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm an xbox head but I've a question, is it only the gaming part is down cos we were drinking in a mates sat night and we were on youtube on his ps3, I thought it was all online abilities were shut down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm an xbox head but I've a question, is it only the gaming part is down cos we were drinking in a mates sat night and we were on youtube on his ps3, I thought it was all online abilities were shut down?

Nope, just the PSN part of it, ie. Online gaming, the store, account management etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You get a gift of some free game yet to be announced plus you also get 30days added to your PS+ subscription or if you are not a subscriber you get a free 30day trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

where did you hear were getting some free game?? source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

So tomorrow it is then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Nodferatu wrote: »
    where did you hear were getting some free game?? source?
    It's right there in the press release...
    Sony PR wrote:
    • Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
    • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
    • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

For those of you complaining about PS+ being offered as part of the 'Welcome Back' program - you should read the comments on the PS Blog and on other forums. Other PSN users specifically requested a trial of PS+ as compensation. What were you expecting, a cash lump sum? You telling me you don't want a 20% discount on Outland and Beyond Good and Evil HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Over nine million..? ;)

Edit: Ninja delete... :P

In my defense who the hell calls it Great Britain these days :P

SOE is down today as well, seems to be related to the fix for PSN.

I've had Easter Holidays for two weeks - the day I'm going back to school is when the PSN is [possibly] coming back. :rolleyes:

I could have prestiged once or twice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I was able to update Dead Space 2 when I logged in last nite, presume game updates are seperate to PSN use?

flynner13 wrote: »
    I was able to update Dead Space 2 when I logged in last nite, presume game updates are seperate to PSN use?

Yeah, I was able to update GTA IV as well.

Also, I had started downloading the Motorstorm Apocalypse demo from the PS Store before the PSN went down. It was at 26% when the PSN went down. I resumed the download last night and it downloaded and installed without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Game updates have been working all along so that's not a sign of it coming back. But that demo downloading is a good sign.
    I've had Easter Holidays for two weeks - the day I'm going back to school is when the PSN is [possibly] coming back. :rolleyes:

Same here had two weeks off college and mad for some battlefield. Lectures tomorrow and exams in two weeks time. Worst timing ever.

PSN is back up in Japan, apparently, so that is encouraging.

おめでとう 日本人

Varik wrote: »
    おめでとう 日本人

確かに

• Advertisement

確かに

なぜ我々は日本語で話している?

なぜ我々は日本語で話している?

彼らはPSNを持っているので、我々はしないでください...インターネットの素晴らしさとのために、我々はすべて日本スペークすることができます。

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

なぜ我々は日本語で話している?

しゃれで

彼らはPSNを持っているので、我々はしないでください...インターネットの素晴らしさとのために、我々はすべて日本スペークすることができます。

確かに、インターネットは素晴らしい場所です!

Hopefully the old PSN is back up here soon! Dying for some Uncharted MP!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

No. Tried it there, still undergoing maintenance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement