Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Bloody weeaboos! :pac:

I think I'll join ya Wolfie, Uncharted 2 would be a nice 'homecoming'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    No. Tried it there, still undergoing maintenance.

May be actual region and not psn account region.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Bloody weeaboos! :pac:

I think I'll join ya Wolfie, Uncharted 2 would be a nice 'homecoming'!

Is the Uncharted 3 mp beta not starting up soon?

It better be by trophies again like infamous2 as if it's all the plus members that will be 77 million accounts to compete with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Varik wrote: »
    May be actual region and not psn account region.

That is correct, I believe.

From US Blog:
    On Tuesday, April 26 we shared that some information that was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. Once again, we’d like to apologize to the many users who were inconvenienced and worried abut this situation.

We want to state this again given the increase in speculation about credit card information being used fraudulently. One report indicated that a group tried to sell millions of credit card numbers back to Sony. To my knowledge there is no truth to this report of a list, or that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list.

One other point to clarify is from this weekend’s press conference. While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form. For a description of the difference between encryption and hashing, follow this link.

To reiterate a few other security measures for your information: Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

We continue to work with law enforcement and forensic experts to identify the criminals behind the attack. Once again, we apologize for causing users concern over this matter.

Our objective is to increase security so our customers can safely and confidently play games and use our network and media services. We will continue to provide updates as we have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

F1ngers wrote: »
    No. Tried it there, still undergoing maintenance.

you live in japan?

edit: ok seems you just got a japan acocunt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

Soby wrote: »
    In my defense who the hell calls it Great Britain these days :P

No one but wait till a scot or welsh person wins an event in the olympics or tennis and the BBC will be full of it. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Not content with giving my credit card details away,they e-mail me to tell me to change my password to psn despite being unable to access said site(duhh).
    Now i hear that when it comes back you will only be able to sign in with the original console you created the account on.Considering that a lot of people ,like me,are on their second console due to YLOD ,some even on their third or fourth this isn't good enough.
    I've got an xbox360 so ithink any future game purchases will no longer be ps3.
    Sony ignored YLOD ,ignored online gaming issues and then left customer vulnerable for OVER A WEEK before they owned up.This in my eyes was more than irresponsible ,its downright criminal.If you know of a crime having been carried out you are legally obliged to inform the police.Aren't Sony subject to the same laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

ben101 wrote: »
    Not content with giving my credit card details away,they e-mail me to tell me to change my password to psn despite being unable to access said site(duhh).
    Now i hear that when it comes back you will only be able to sign in with the original console you created the account on.Considering that a lot of people ,like me,are on their second console due to YLOD ,some even on their third or fourth this isn't good enough.

You can change the password on the playstation site when psn gets up and running again.Changing it on the original console is only one way of doing it.They have to have an option to change the password for people who created their Usernames on the PS website.Dont worry.

Is the PSN definitely coming back tomorrow or is it just speculation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Desire. wrote: »
    Is the PSN definitely coming back tomorrow or is it just speculation?

I think I read one of the Sony statements mention being back "within a week" last wednesday, which would mean tomorrow.
    I'll believe it when I see it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

how the hell am i to reset my password/account with my original console when that died with the YLOD!! im on my second console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Nodferatu wrote: »
    how the hell am i to reset my password/account with my original console when that died with the YLOD!! im on my second console.

On the playstation website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Why don't people ever read the full story? You can change your password as usual using your email address on the playstation website. Jesus, Sony aren't THAT bloody stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Humm hopefully that isnt the case exactly, I don't see how it could be enforced...well maybe a console code tied to the psn ID, anyway I also setup my account a phatty ps3 and sold it on to get a slim :rolleyes:

*thx wolf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Right to put this matter to rest.
    Sony has confirmed that you will not need to log into your PSN account on the PS3 that you created that account on only.

Earlier today, Sony held a press conference regarding the recent PlayStation Network hack, and provided several details on what steps will be taken from here on. One of the points that was mentioned by the translator was that the user’s PlayStation Network account password will need to be changed as soon as he or she logs into it once the network is back online. During this point, it was also mentioned that the password could only be changed “on the same PS3 the account was created or activated.” This can be heard around the 13:30 mark on the press conference video. The press release that was also uploaded during conference states:
    Click on image to enlarge:
    pr-150x52.jpg
    As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.
    This has led many to believe that their accounts are lost, as a lot of users have been forced to buy a new PlayStation 3 due to hardware failures in the past. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s community moderators have confirmed that you do not need to log on to the PlayStation Network with the PS3 that you created your account on.
    As long as your account is also activated on your current machine (i.e you have downloaded content to it previously) you should be okay.
    So, as long as you didn’t deactivate your PlayStation Network account through account management, you will be able to log in and change your password.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Or 2nd option, someone walked into their data centre and downloaded the files onto a storage device and walked out.....
    The fact that the whole operation is being moved points to me that it could very likely be option 2 as to how the breach happened.
    A disgruntled employee?
    Some brightspark walking in to the data centre and through security ;) to download the DB and then walk out again?
    This may seem crazy but consider this,Sony aren't just rebuilding the PSN they are also moving to new secure location!
    If it was just a network security problem there would be little need of anything other than hardware upgrade and improved network software/security.

A few days ago I suggested this was most likely Data theft by a disaffected employee and after this piece of news http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/psn-hack-inside-job-85869/
    It now seems very possible it really was an inside job ;)
    And its not just PSN anymore.....
    But EVERY Sony Online Entertainment service thats affected!!!
    Are people still going to be so eager to give Sony their details or their cash?
    I know I won't be ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Stolen info is from 2007, therefore the cards will have expired. All is still well.... Sort of.

• Advertisement

Stolen info is from 2007, therefore the cards will have expired. All is still well.... Sort of.
    ? My VISA debit card has a 4 year life. If I'd gotten it in 2007, +4 = 2011.

Fair point, doing some rough probability in my head i'd say around 5% of those cards might be valid. Not a huge number.

Fair point, doing some rough probability in my head i'd say around 5% of those cards might be valid. Not a huge number.
    Still in no acceptable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the compensation we are receiving for this is basically a free advert for PSN+? Fuck off Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Well.. It's Tuesday.. Hopefully I can get my PC copy of Portal 2 now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I seem to be getting a bit more spam than I did before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Lads, I'm going to pay to get PSN back online...

Just got an email to say I won $8Million in the Ugandan lotto \:)/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

GGrr its getting annoying now, i'm itching to play portal 2 coop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So the compensation we are receiving for this is basically a free advert for PSN+? Fuck off Sony.

Didnt they mention a free game also... Pretty sure MS offered the same deal minus the PSN+ thing when they went offline for 2 weeks a couple of years ago... and they pay for live...

What were you expecting ? And what exactly are you being compensated for ? For being without a free service for a couple of weeks ?

So no luck yet then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

GGrr its getting annoying now, i'm itching to play portal 2 coop.

Same here, and to get my Steam version...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Magill wrote: »
    Didnt they mention a free game also... Pretty sure MS offered the same deal minus the PSN+ thing when they went offline for 2 weeks a couple of years ago... and they pay for live...

What were you expecting ? And what exactly are you being compensated for ? For being without a free service for a couple of weeks ?

I think compensantion for having the database in which all my personal details are present, being hacked into....thats what I would like something for.

Someday i hope to understand why people care if some bloke somewhere in the world knows their Name, Address and DOB. But at the moment all i can think is "I hope they send me a birthday present next year!!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Someday i hope to understand why people care if some bloke somewhere in the world knows their Name, Address and DOB. But at the moment all i can think is "I hope they send me a birthday present next year!!".

I like how you left out passwords, CC details and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

some mad over reaction here. only thing that bothers me is i cannot play online games for the last 2 weeks. was not sonys fault that this happened either.

Renn wrote: »
    I like how you left out passwords, CC details and so on.

CC Details were not leaked. (Unless you gave SOE your details back in '07)

Password - I used the same one on my gmail account and facebook account, changed them in about 2 minutes, hardly what i'd call an inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

So we get a month free PSN+,

But sony also say that the PS Store wont be available straight away when the network comes back online.

They better not give PSN+ until the store comes back... if they do its pointless as people wont be able to use it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Your 100% right 2smiggy, it's not sonys fault, I guess they'll be having nooooooooo more security breeches from now on, if there are though, we will both look like complete idiots!

I think compensantion for having the database in which all my personal details are present, being hacked into....thats what I would like something for.

What would you like ? If they give away a free £5 game and the 1month PSN+ which is like what.. £4... thats well over £500m worth of free stuff they're giving away. And if your CC details somehow get into the wrong hands and you lose money i'm pretty sure you'd be compensated...

Honestly, the greed of some people amazes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Spacedog wrote: »
    Your 100% right 2smiggy, it's not sonys fault, I guess they'll be having nooooooooo more security breeches from now on, if there are though, we will both look like complete idiots!

just you i'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What would you like ? If they give away a free £5 game and the 1month PSN+ which is like what.. £4... thats well over £500m worth of free stuff they're giving away. And if your CC details somehow get into the wrong hands and you lose money i'm pretty sure you'd be compensated...

Honestly, the greed of some people amazes me.

I haven't asked for a thing. The only thing that pisses me off is the way Sony have handled the PR side of things.

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »
    I haven't asked for a thing. The only thing that pisses me off is the way Sony have handled the PR side of things.

Yeah i'd agree with that, communication with the public has been pretty poor alrite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd rather if they didn't try to use this as an excuse to advertise one of their services.

I'd rather if they didn't try to use this as an excuse to advertise one of their services.

If MS that were the ones who had been hacked and they offered one month of XBL Gold as "compensation", would you be saying the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Am i the only one that is utterly sick of this fiasco and just want the PSN back up?

I really couldn't care less about freebies or psn tbh, sony stated exactly a week ago that it would have limited psn back up by today and it isin't. They just keep digging a hole for themselves it seems.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/03/sony-online-entertainment-issues-security-press-release/
    Sony Online Entertainment Announces Theft of Data from Its Systems

Breach believed to stem from initial criminal hack of SOE.

Tokyo, May 3, 2011
    - Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment announced today that their ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE, the company) systems revealed yesterday morning (May 2, Tokyo time) that hackers may have stolen SOE customer information on April 16th and 17th, 2011 (PDT). SOE is based in San Diego, California, U.S.A.

This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007. The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

With the current outage of the PlayStation® Network and Qriocity™ services and the ongoing investigation into the recent attacks, SOE had also undertaken an intensive investigation into its system. Upon discovery of this additional information, the company promptly shut down all servers related to SOE services while continuing to review and upgrade all of its online security systems in the face of these unprecedented cyber-attacks.

On May 1, Sony apologized to its customers for the inconvenience caused by its network services outages. The company is working with the FBI and continuing its own full investigation while working to restore all services.

Sony is making this disclosure as quickly as possible after the discovery of the theft, and the company has posted information on its website and will send e-mails to all consumers whose data may have been stolen.

The personal information of the approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts that was illegally obtained, to the extent it had been provided to SOE, is as follows:

* name
    * address
    * e-mail address
    * birthdate
    * login name
    * hashed password.

In addition to the information above, the 10,700 direct debit records from accounts in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain, include:

* bank account number
    * customer name
    * account name
    * customer address.

SOE will grant customers 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions, in addition to compensating them one day for each day the system is down. It is also in the process of outlining a “make good” plan for its PlayStation®3 MMOs (DC Universe Online and Free Realms). More information will be released this week.

Additionally, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) has been a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games since 1999. Best known for its blockbuster hits and franchises, including EverQuest®, EverQuest® II, Champions of Norrath®, PlanetSide®, Free Realms®, Clone Wars Adventures™, and DC Universe Online™, SOE creates, develops and provides compelling online entertainment for virtually all platforms, including the PlayStation®3 Computer Entertainment System, Personal Computer, mobile and social networks. SOE is building on its proven legacy and pioneering the future of the interactive entertainment space through creative development and inspired gameplay design for audiences of all ages. To learn more, visit www.soe.com.

For more information and update about the SOE services, please visit www.soe.com/securityupdate.

LOL....... So you'd rather them not give anything ? They were always going to give a free month for those already subscribed, everyone else getting it is just a bonus, i seriously don't get why you'd be upset over it tho... its a bit of a win/win situation but at the end of the day they are a business.
    Am i the only one that is utterly sick of this fiasco and just want the PSN back up?

I really couldn't care less about freebies or psn tbh, sony stated exactly a week ago that it would have limited psn back up by today and it isin't. They just keep digging a hole for themselves it seems.

Certainly not the only one with that view mate, i just want to beable to play some gaymes !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still no news on when its back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Still no news on when its back then?

No sir, not yet.
    you really would think they would keep their word stating it would be back up today and if they thought it was not going to be back up by today, they surely should have sent an email over the weekend stating it would be delayed past todays deadline.
    The lack of contact is infuriating, the more i think of the lack of communication the more i see red tape and 'the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing'.
    There should be clear lines of communication between the decision makers and the PR side and not the panicked fumbling we currently have to deal with.
    I paid 400e for my PS3, the reason i bought my PS3 was for free online play and odd exclusive game like uncharted etc.
    If the occasion that the PSN is down the least i expect is concise communication from sony regarding of when it will be back up.

Rant over.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

No sir, not yet.
    you really would think they would keep their word stating it would be back up today and if they thought it was not going to be back up by today, they surely should have sent an email over the weekend stating it would be delayed past todays deadline.
    The lack of contact is infuriating, the more i think of the lack of communication the more i see red tape and 'the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing'.
    There should be clear lines of communication between the decision makers and the PR side and not the panicked fumbling we currently have to deal with.
    I paid 400e for my PS3, the reason i bought my PS3 was for free online play and odd exclusive game like uncharted etc.
    If the occasion that the PSN is down the least i expect is concise communication from sony regarding of when it will be back up.

Rant over.:pac:

Pft... I paid €630 for a launch PS3, a further €160 for a refurb (yup I'm a sap :pac:) and then when the refurb started to sound like it was gonna take off, traded it in and got the slim for €99

In total, I've paid €889 for my PS3s...not including the games I've bought or d/l content. Makes me want to cry now when I add it all up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Not being able to access half of my downloaded PSN games because I can't log into my U.S. account is driving me nuts. O.K. does anyone have a rough idea when we'll be able to log into our accounts?

Advertisement