Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Varik wrote: »
    They'll have to deal with age ratings probably as well, can't be giving underage kids violent games.

Keeping a record of this so you can't ninja edit your way out of it.

Good I'll even video tape it!:pac:

Dunno if this was posted or not but saw it on eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-03-which-psn-services-return-this-week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A bit of transparency would be nice. How did this happen? Why the hell wasn't the data encrypted and why weren't the passwords encrypted properly? How the hell did they manage to mess up so catastrophically with their security? Also what are they doing to make us trust them again considering how terribly negligent Sony has been in the past about customers personal data security? I'm sorry but I can't be as forgiving for something that is probably a huge breach of the data protection act. People are saying that Sony is the victim here but part of the blame is Sonys fault because of their negligent security measures. People trusted them with their personal details and Sony failed them. There's a contract for Sony to provide a service to their customers which includes the security of their personal details and Sony have breached it. I'd be much more forgiving if Sony was upfront about what is happening but their clandestine approach and how late they are with announcements about it is ridiculous. The fact that they are using this as an oppurtunity to show off their premium service is sickening to me. It will take much more than a months PSN+ and a game to appease me but what I do want won't cost Sony anything but they won't give it.

and if you had the answer to all those questions, what difference would it make? answer, none.

the psn would still be down, your details may or may not be stolen and you'd still be rambling on about how 'sickened' you feel. get over it you sound crazy. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't care about PSN being down. I do care about big business having no respect for consumer rights and consumer law. I know if I let my employers research under nondisclosure leak due to bad security on my emails I'd lose my job or worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd imagine the technical reasons behind the intrusion are rather complex, but yes an explanation would be nice. Alas, I think the damage has been done, and their handling of it was a PR disaster. Their only real option now is to try and make some sort of amends. They don't have to - it's a free service after all. But I'm pretty sure they have to do something to start building up their reputation again.

Best solution would be they (as long as been rumoured) re-release Tombi and give us all a digital copy of that :pac: Credit card fraud? Bah, pigs ftw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm.. A boxed copy of Tombi might be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Prince of Persia Collection would be quite pleasant, highly unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

A bit of transparency would be nice. How did this happen? Why the hell wasn't the data encrypted and why weren't the passwords encrypted properly? How the hell did they manage to mess up so catastrophically with their security? Also what are they doing to make us trust them again considering how terribly negligent Sony has been in the past about customers personal data security?

I think some answers to your questions were given in the press conference on Sunday and I'm sure they'll give more answers when they're not currently dealing with the actual intrusion and trying to rebuild the PSN. Can you not let the firefighter put out the fire before insisting that he answer how it started first?

I think Sony did give you what you wanted. The opportunity to go on an indignant rant. :P

Sorry for not being a complacent sheep and being appeased with a few trinkets over one of the biggest and inept data protection security blunders in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'll eat my hat if it is
    Mmm, fez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Sorry for not being a complacent sheep and being appeased with a few trinkets over one of the biggest and inept data protection security blunders in years.

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I couldn't give a shíte about stealing data. Just get back online. IF the hackers really wanted to get at sony, they should have done this on the next call of duty release day

Yes, just because we disagree with you we're clearly sheep. I'm not being appeased by a few trinkets, I don't care in the slightest about them. I'm just not in an indignant rage over something that has had little or no affect on my daily life. This isn't faulty brakes on a car, people aren't going to die or come to any serious harm because of this. What I care about it is Sony are going to make their network more secure to make it less likely that this will ever happen again. Sony aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last company to be hacked. There were flaws in their security, and flaws in their response. They're trying to address both. I spent half an hour changing passwords last Monday night, that's the sum total of what this has cost me, so I'm not a sheep, I just don't give that much of a **** about something that's going to be forgotten about by the majority of people in a few months time. I'm curious were you this annoyed at boards.ie when it was hacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I couldn't give a shíte about stealing data.

lol.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Yes, just because we disagree with you we're clearly sheep. I'm not being appeased by a few trinkets, I don't care in the slightest about them. I'm just not in an indignant rage over something that has had little or no affect on my daily life. This isn't faulty brakes on a car, people aren't going to die or come to any serious harm because of this. What I care about it is Sony are going to make their network more secure to make it less likely that this will ever happen again. Sony aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last company to be hacked. There were flaws in their security, and flaws in their response. They're trying to address both. I spent half an hour changing passwords last Monday night, that's the sum total of what this has cost me, so I'm not a sheep, I just don't give that much of a **** about something that's going to be forgotten about by the majority of people in a few months time. I'm curious were you this annoyed at boards.ie when it was hacked?

So you don't care. Well I happen to care more about how companies threat the data we entrust them with which is why I'm annoyed. Changing passwords is a pretty big deal to me as well as what else criminals could do with the information they have considering what I want to do with my career and I was annoyed when boards.ie got hacked. Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't have to be rightfully annoyed. Thinly veiled insults and hilarious youtube videos won't strengthen your argument either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Retrogamer, maybe it's time you and Sony parted ways, so. I wouldn't hold it against you, like, but you seem more than a bit upset.

• Advertisement

So you don't care. Well I happen to care more about how companies threat the data we entrust them with which is why I'm annoyed. Changing passwords is a pretty big deal to me as well as what else criminals could do with the information they have considering what I want to do with my career and I was annoyed when boards.ie got hacked. Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't have to be rightfully annoyed. Thinly veiled insults and hilarious youtube videos won't strengthen your argument either.

I didn't mean for the insults to be thinly veiled I'm sorry. The criminals have not much more information than could be garnered from a quick Google search. I'm annoyed that it happened, at the situation, not at Sony, as I believe, that if it hadn't happened to Sony now, it would have eventually happened to Amazon, or Microsoft or some other big company. Granted that company may have had the data that bit more secure, or handled the PR side of it better in the aftermath, but something like this was inevitable. So rather than mad and raking Sony over the coals, partially for things they haven't had a chance to not do yet, like reveal exactly how this happened, I'm remaining philosophical and getting on with my life.

Just because you're "rightfully" annoyed doesn't mean that people who aren't are mindless sheep. There was nothing thinly veiled about that insult.

The message saying "The Playstation Network is undergoing maintenance," when you try to log in has changed to the standard "An error has occurred message..."

Think it's a sign that they're starting to bring PSN back on line.

I actually have no idea what I want to do online. Too deep in my unfinished single players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Grayditch wrote: »
    I actually have no idea what I want to do online. Too deep in my unfinished single players.

I can think of one thing :D

:eek: You gonna shoot a man in his heaaaaaad!

I might go on Fight Night with a boxer called Hacker and see how long I can keep him standing, online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

worst thing about it is ya hear oh ye its meant to be back *whatever day* doesnt come back...then sony say sometime next week...then it was meant to be back tuesday, still not up..grrrr just give us a day sony

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Given the choice between meaningless trinkets or this situation never occurring I think most reasonable people would opt for the latter.

Also, while I'm annoyed with Sony for the same reasons you are, at the end of this I'll still own a PS3, and I'd rather the PSN market was still a viable platform. It can't be viable if there's an exodus of customers.

For what it is, the 'welcome back' gesture is worthwhile, but no one should confuse it with a reparation for what's happened.

No one is appeased here.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

NotorietyH wrote: »
    The message saying "The Playstation Network is undergoing maintenance," when you try to log in has changed to the standard "An error has occurred message..."

Think it's a sign that they're starting to bring PSN back on line.

They'd need to roll out new system updates before that could happen. Or have they done that for some users already?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

raze wrote: »
    They'd need to roll out new system updates before that could happen. Or have they done that for some users already?

I'm guessing those updates will happen for each specific user when psn comes back up here and in every other region. Just a waiting game as to when that will be now.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    worst thing about it is ya hear oh ye its meant to be back *whatever day* doesnt come back...then sony say sometime next week...then it was meant to be back tuesday, still not up..grrrr just give us a day sony

They can't just give you a day. I'm sure they're not sitting around eating cakes. It's in their best interest to get this up as quick as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

somebody please fix the playstation machine thing so as i can play soccerball with peoples i dont even no :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Grayditch wrote: »
    They can't just give you a day. I'm sure they're not sitting around eating cakes. It's in their best interest to get this up as quick as possible.

early net week, late next week?.....i guess my anger is with the people/websites saying itl be back on a certain day, fcuk them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

MarkY91 wrote: »
    early net week, late next week?.....i guess my anger is with the people/websites saying itl be back on a certain day, fcuk them :D

Actually Sony themselves said it would be up May 3rd. And that date has come and gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

jimbob86 wrote: »
    somebody please fix the playstation machine thing so as i can play soccerball with peoples i dont even no :(
    LOL!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Won't be up today either lads. Fecking disaster.

And I agree, if they could have it up today they would. They are trying their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

I just want it to be fixed so I can stop reading about how indignant I should/shouldn't be. Actually how do I set up a poll in here? How indignant should we be? A:1 B:2 C:3.......... Answers on a postcard to 100 they took our stuff hacked balls beside the nuclear plant that nearly melted to the core of the earth before they even said it was warm..... I'm bored.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just another rumour about the Japanese PSN, can't find anything else to back it up, http://n4g.com/news/756155/will-the-psn-not-come-online-before-may-6-because-of-the-japanese-government.

Apparantly the Japanese government want to have a chat with Sony about the whole mess.

F-king Japanese goverment. I'm gonna blow dem up wen I get Blackops back up n runnin.

Just kidding, of course. As if I play Black Ops :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

jimbob86 wrote: »
    Try talk to ps3 it nicely,if its still bold shout at it and shake it violently,this worked for me:D

ben101 wrote: »
    Try talk to ps3 it nicely,if its still bold shout at it and shake it violently,this worked for me:D
    Not too much though. You don't want it to go away and YLOD itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Not too much though. You don't want it to go away and YLOD itself.

Self harm... a damn shame :(

Any news Webbers? Inside info and all that :p

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Self harm... a damn shame :(

Any news Webbers? Inside info and all that :p
    haha no info unfort. I don't think it will be today or tomorrow anyways before PSN is back.

haha no info unfort. I don't think it will be today or tomorrow anyways before PSN is back.

Probably a good thing for me... two assignments due Monday also two presentations Monday, assignment due Tuesday, presentation Wednesday and another assignment the week after. Leaving it all until the last minute as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I was going well at studying seeing as i don't have the PS3 to distract me, however recently remembered that i had Portal and Cod4 on my laptop.... Procrastination recommences!!

• Advertisement

Probably a good thing for me... two assignments due Monday also two presentations Monday, assignment due Tuesday, presentation Wednesday and another assignment the week after. Leaving it all until the last minute as always.
    Busy! I'm glad I don't have to worry about things like that anymore :p - Best of luck with them!

Ah last minute is the best though. The earlier you start, the earlier you stressed and the more procrastination you do :pac:

Well, it looks like I'll have some spare time with no PSN. Need a hand?:D

On the note that Sony said you will only be able to change PSN password on the machine you set it up on. I asked the other day what will happen to those of us on 2nd, or worse, playstations. The only reply I got is that you would be able to change it on your computer. Which sounds to me like a ration of bullsh!t. Does anyone have any word on that?

Busy! I'm glad I don't have to worry about things like that anymore :p - Best of luck with them!

Ah last minute is the best though. The earlier you start, the earlier you stressed and the more procrastination you do :pac:

Where the later you start the less procrastination you do? Can you put off procrastination? These new Playstations can do everything nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I finished the single player of MW2 last night for the first time, t'was actually very good, might even have to replay it if this doesn't get sorted soon.

The amount of playing I've gotten out of MW1 & 2 best money ever spent!

Actually Uncharted 2 SP is unfinished too, hmm that tonight sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think people should HAVE to finish any single player campaign first before going to multiplayer....this outage is no harm at all.

Yeah you're probably right, but I've certainly left myself a lot to do in such a short amount of time :rolleyes: Damn you CIT for giving me this mindset :mad: :pac:
    Well, it looks like I'll have some spare time with no PSN. Need a hand?:D

Please :pac: Know anything on either Construction Economic Finance, Facility Management, Construction Law (Adjudication in particular) or Design Management processes?

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    I think people should HAVE to finish any single player campaign first before going to multiplayer....this outage is no harm at all.

Yeah, all three hours of these FPS games of late.
    :D

Please :pac: Know anything on either Construction Economic Finance, Facility Management, Construction Law (Adjudication in particular) or Design Management processes?

so close. I did Economic Construction Finance, Management Facilities, the Laws of Construction and Process Management Design. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

On the note that Sony said you will only be able to change PSN password on the machine you set it up on. I asked the other day what will happen to those of us on 2nd, or worse, playstations. The only reply I got is that you would be able to change it on your computer. Which sounds to me like a ration of bullsh!t. Does anyone have any word on that?

No. You will also receive an email from Sony. This email will also have details on how to change your password away from your PS3 [your puter, etc].

Edit : There is an AWFUL amount of FUD [and people just making **** up] going around the internets about this. The communication from Sony is deafening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/0503/PlayStation-Network-back-online-Almost

So when is the Sony PlayStation Network coming back online? This week, probably. At the same press conference, which was held at Sony HQ in Tokyo, Sony exec Kazuo Hirai apologized to gamers, and promised that the PSN would be live again by Friday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Guess I won't be eating my hat then :pac: good thing too,its my favourite one :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement