Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

RangeR wrote: »
    No. You will also receive an email from Sony. This email will also have details on how to change your password away from your PS3 [your puter, etc].

No what? The info about only being able to change your password came from a playstation release. Here's a link.

http://www.clickonline.com/Games/Sony_PSN_Press_Conference_Live/1250/

As for the noise from Sony being defeaning I should turn up my hearing aid cos I ain't heard crap until it was week old news. I do take the point that there is alot of people making up stuff, or guessing about stuff, then saying their guess is a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

No what? The info about only being able to change your password came from a playstation release. Here's a link.

http://www.clickonline.com/Games/Sony_PSN_Press_Conference_Live/1250/

As for the noise from Sony being defeaning I should turn up my hearing aid cos I ain't heard crap until it was week old news. I do take the point that there is alot of people making up stuff, or guessing about stuff, then saying their guess is a rumour.

If you are going to cite a source at least cite the original unaltered one and not an "editorial" "based on the original". The "story" is actually spreading some of the FUD that I mention.
    In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

I will do my best to not be offended by your "hearing aid" remark and not report your post [attack the post, not the poster]. You obviously didn't get the sarcasm in my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As mentioned here
    Sony’s Response to the U.S. House of Representatives
    + Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

Today, the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce held a hearing in Washington, DC on “The Threat of Data Theft to American Consumers.”
    Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sony Computer Entertainment America, submitted written answers to questions posed by the subcommittee about the large-scale, criminal cyber-attack we have experienced. We wanted to share those answers with you (click here).

In summary, we told the subcommittee that in dealing with this cyber attack we followed four key principles:
    1. Act with care and caution.
    2. Provide relevant information to the public when it has been verified.
    3. Take responsibility for our obligations to our customers.
    4. Work with law enforcement authorities.

We also informed the subcommittee of the following:
    • Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
    • We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”
    • By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.
    • As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.
    • Protecting individuals’ personal data is the highestpriority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cybercrime and cyber terrorism.
    • We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.

We told the subcommittee about our intent to offer complimentary identity theft protection to U.S. account holders and detailed the “Welcome Back” program that includes free downloads, 30 days of free membership in the
    PlayStation Plus premium subscription service; 30 days of free service for Music Unlimited subscribers; and extending PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited subscriptions for the number of days services were unavailable.

We are working around the clock to have some PlayStation Network services restored and we’ll be providing specific details shortly. We hope this update is helpful to you, and we will continue to keep you posted as we work to restore our network and provide you with both the entertainment and the security you deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”

Hmm wonder if it was actually anonymous or some just someone trying to divert the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Nice to see someone else able to read an entire blog post. It's times like this when you learn how much people don't read an entire post and then start asking questions answered in the post, or worse, spreading FUD.
    Hmm wonder if it was actually anonymous or some just someone trying to divert the blame.
    I suppose you can never really know. Reading the entire letter from Kazuo Hirai was very interesting, especially considering they never blame Anonymous for this hack, only for the DDoS attacks and then they state that that file was found on the SOE server. This is the part that I found the most interesting:
    Whether those who participated in the denial of service attacks were conspirators or whether they were simply duped into providing cover for a very clever thief, we may never know. In any case, those who participated in the denial of service attacks should understand that - whether they know it or not - they were aiding in a well planned, well executed, large-scale theft that left not only Sony a victim, but also Sony's many customers around the world.
    Perhaps it is worded in this way so as not to provoke Anonymous, but it does seem wise not to be too confrontational.

If you are going to cite a source at least cite the original unaltered one and not an "editorial" "based on the original". The "story" is actually spreading some of the FUD that I mention.

I will do my best to not be offended by your "hearing aid" remark and not report your post [attack the post, not the poster]. You obviously didn't get the sarcasm in my post.

Granted I didn't know it was editorialised but it was a pretty big omission as it leaves out a big detail in the process of getting up and running which was why I asked. Isn't that one of the things this forum is used for or is it just people can read every bit of news on a topic and then give out to anyone else who hasn't read same?

Offended by my "hearing aid" remark?

Report away if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i see there giving us a free 30-day subscription to Playstation Plus. I've been reading on other forums that after the 30 days are up that you will have to continue your subscription or any games you have downloaded will become blocked.

Can any Playstation Plus users confirm this, or is what I've been reading thrash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i see there giving us a free 30-day subscription to Playstation Plus. I've been reading on other forums that after the 30 days are up that you will have to continue your subscription or any games you have downloaded will become blocked.

Can any Playstation Plus users confirm this, or is what I've been reading thrash.

Any PS plus games that are free as a result of the PS plus sub are blocked when the sub ends. This isn't anything knew.
    If you download a game at a discounted price, then you can keep that.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Liamario wrote: »
    Any PS plus games that are free as a result of the PS plus sub are blocked when the sub ends. This isn't anything knew.
    If you download a game at a discounted price, then you can keep that.

But when they're doing it compensating for something that has happened they shouldn't turn around and say if you want to keep all this stuff that we have given you because the network is down you have to give us money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

leemurta wrote: »
    But when they're doing it compensating for something that has happened they shouldn't turn around and say if you want to keep all this stuff that we have given you because the network is down you have to give us money.

What they're giving you is a month of rentals not the actual games and then taking them back, you're also getting a full game that is kept with the months plus content in addition to that.

The month of plus content has a value and that's what you're getting, i do have plus and will be getting an extra month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The deal with Plus was set a long time before this. Asking for something else is fine, but Plus is Plus, like.

Grayditch wrote: »
    The deal with Plus was set a long time before this. Asking for something else is fine, but Plus is Plus, like.

:D

Can anyone remember if the last map pack for COD was cheaper in PSN plus than PSN lite last time? If so it could work out as nice timing. Also is the 30 days gratis from the time the user re-starts their account or from the date that Sony open it to that market? Not very important, just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Can anyone remember if the last map pack for COD was cheaper in PSN plus than PSN lite last time? If so it could work out as nice timing. Also is the 30 days gratis from the time the user re-starts their account or from the date that Sony open it to that market? Not very important, just curious.

the map pack was the same price unfortunaly lol, just remember psn+ = hello boy have a lend of a sh!te game we didnt get much sales on until your subscription runs out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope its back in time for the release of brink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

If u have a psp does the plus also work for it & is there a different free game for the psp?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

I really hope its back by then myself. At this stage though i am not sure it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

this craziness needs to end and PS needs to be back up ASAP, I have taken up jogging for gods sake.:D

I'd pay a fiver for a game of Laguna Presa on BC2 right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I haven't played a game on the ps3 since it went down, instead I dusted off the old xbox and have been playing Knights of the Old Republic. I completely forgot how good and time consuming it is

• Advertisement

http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/20110504/sony-psn-service-resumes-end-of-may-shares-slowly-rise/

Yes it's only rumour right now but if it is down another 2/3 weeks the "Welcome Back" package from Sony will not be sufficient, no matter what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

keithc83 wrote: »
    http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/20110504/sony-psn-service-resumes-end-of-may-shares-slowly-rise/

Yes it's only rumour right now but if it is down another 2/3 weeks the "Welcome Back" package from Sony will not be sufficient, no matter what it is.

I think that article may have picked it up wrong. As far as I recall they said they'd have all services fully restored by the end of the month. They'll be bringing back parts of the service before then. I think at the conference Kaz Hirai said that PSN for online gaming would be one of the first things back. Don't think that includes the PS Store though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If it's down for another 2/3 weeks I can see everyone going to XBox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

If it's down for another 2/3 weeks I can see everyone going to XBox!

Honestly.....NO!!!!!

I for one won't be splashing out €250 for a 360 plus games plus an Xbox Live subscription just because I cant play online for a week or 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

God this is dragging on too much lol, hurry the fu*k up i dont want anything just turn the fuc*ing game part on!! if i dont stab a zombie soon il go crazy!!

Thisis not a trolling question, just a general query, What is the difference between PS3 and Xbox? Like i love my PS3, but is there really a difference between both? I knowits a huge open question but never had or used an Xbox, so just wondering whats better really, i know il get biased answers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I think that article may have picked it up wrong. As far as I recall they said they'd have all services fully restored by the end of the month. They'll be bringing back parts of the service before then. I think at the conference Kaz Hirai said that PSN for online gaming would be one of the first things back. Don't think that includes the PS Store though.

I agree, i read else where that full service will resume by the end of may. But i think the online play will be the first thing back up.

TBH i don't care about the PSN store or its unlimited music service. I just miss playing online with the lads :p

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »

Yeah i was thinking that myself but just considered it was worth mentioning. I hope it will be back up before then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

God this is dragging on too much lol, hurry the fu*k up i dont want anything just turn the fuc*ing game part on!! if i dont stab a zombie soon il go crazy!!

Thisis not a trolling question, just a general query, What is the difference between PS3 and Xbox? Like i love my PS3, but is there really a difference between both? I knowits a huge open question but never had or used an Xbox, so just wondering whats better really, i know il get biased answers lol

There is a thread here for you to ask that question, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671045.

Let's not open that can of worms.

This thread is about the PSN outage.

The letter also implicitly blamed on Anonymous: Sony revealed it discovered a file on Sony Online Entertainment servers called "Anonymous" with the group's tagline, "We Are Legion." Case closed, right?

This was already posted but there's more.
    Most Anonymous members claim the group had nothing to do with this hack and have taken extraordinary steps to distance themselves from it.

On the IRC servers Anonymous uses to organize its operations, channels dedicated to attacks on Sony have been systematically deleted for weeks. Even mentioning an operation against Sony can lead to a ban.And when Sony's PlayStation Network went down mysteriously last month—we now know this was when the hack was occurring—Anonymous took the unusual step of issuing a press release claiming that "for once we didn't do it."

Anonymous has come to realize that attacking Sony's PlayStation Network alienates a powerful group of potential supporters: nerds. The point was proved after Anonymous launched an unrelated attack on Sony in early April that briefly took down the PlayStation Network, in retaliation for Sony suing a kid who bypassed the Playstation 3's security systems. The attack sparked a nerd backlash which crippled Anonymous chat servers with retaliatory strikes and was generally a PR disaster.

"All the Sony kids were flooding the [Anonymous chat servers] and whining and complaining," said Gregg Housh an activist associated with Anonymous. An attack on Sony's PlayStation Network "pisses off a lot of people they want as fans not enemies." A similar concern was voiced last December when Anonymous contemplated attacking Amazon in revenge for it banning Wikileaks: One reason for not attacking was concern that the attack might anger people who were trying to do holiday shopping.

The dilemma presented by this new Sony hack shows how Anonymous' greatest asset—its amorphous, grassroots nature being pretentious dcks—can also be its greatest weakness. As news spreads that Anonymous was behind an attack on millions of gamers, there will likely be another backlash. "Pissed off that Anonymous Hacked PSN," wrote one Twitter user. Stealing millions of regular folks' credit cards is not a good look for Anonymous, the self-styled defenders of free speech.

Cries of "scapegoat" have been filling the Anonyosphere, which will no doubt argue Sony is trying to unload responsibility for its enormous screwup on Anonymous. [/B]But frankly there's almost no way Anonymous can disavow a role: If someone claims to be Anonymous, they are Anonymous. Just as the small cadre of elite hackers who took down the security firm HBGary were Anonymous, whoever was behind the PlayStation hack can claim the Anonymous banner as well—whether "Anonymous" claims them or not.

Anonymous fears never ending raping by angry nerds.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Retaliatory strikes. Sounds so badass until you think about it.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Why do i keep reading 'We are legion' everywhere?

It is very very annoying!

Do they live in some sort of B movie world, where going around spouting that tripe impresses the wimmin folk.

I bet they have 'We are Borg resistance is futile' tatooed on their scrawny arms.

*#@*##!:mad:

Idiots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

weiland79 wrote: »
    Why do i keep reading 'We are legion' everywhere?

It is very very annoying!
    Just stopped playing Mass Effect 2 there, right at the point where you pick up
    Legion
    .I must have missed it the first time around when they gave/explained his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

That was funny.

NOT!

mixednuts wrote: »
    Its Back !

Its Back ! ................................

...that wart on your arse ! :D

As Obama once said "it's funny 'cause I'm about to kill him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Love it when people make it an easy decision when adding them to your ignore list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Poor form... poor form...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

couldn't give a **** TBH - I'll just spend even more of my time playing with my baby daughter....not the end of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

From the Sony Playstation Ireland Facebook:
    I know you are still eagerly awaiting news on when PSN will be back up & feel we have been very quiet. The only reason for this is we don't want to disappoint you further by giving any info unless it is 100% confirmed. Unfortunately we still dont have a confirmed date for when PSN will resume but please believe us when we say we are working around the clock and will share any further news with you as soon as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

couldn't give a **** TBH - I'll just spend even more of my time playing with my baby daughter....not the end of the world

LOOK WHAT THIS MAN HAS BEEN REDUCED TO!?!

SONY MUST PAY!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Lecturers across the world will probably be scratching their heads trying to figure out why grades have gone up, when correcting exams next month. I know I for one ended up doing a lot more study for exams than I normally would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Lecturers across the world will probably be scratching their heads trying to figure out why grades have gone up, when correcting exams next month. I know I for one ended up doing a lot more study for exams than I normally would have.

I just found other less fun ways of not studying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

I don't know how it's possible but I've done less study than I would have done had PSN been live :/

Procrastination rules! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well, if it doesn't return soon, I will have fully integrated back into society as a useful member of the community. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's strange having feeling in my thumbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This is a very interesting read...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/may/05/anonymous-accuses-sony-hack-playstation-network?CMP=twt_gu
    The online activism group Anonymous has denied insinuations by Sony that it was involved in the hacker breaches of the PlayStation Network (PSN) and Online Entertainment (SOE) systems in which between 77m and 100m personal details were stolen, and potentially as many credit card details.

This does make sense

The fact that Sony has said that the people who hacked its servers erased log files to cover their steps makes it look extremely unlikely that they would also have left a text file linking them back to Anonymous if that were their origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

PSN is down ...Osama gets killed ...now i'm not saying they are connected but .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

PSN is down ...Osama gets killed ...now i'm not saying they are connected but .......
    I think it is...

229263_10150228295961774_615086773_8377407_6333107_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Well, if it doesn't return soon, I will have fully integrated back into society as a useful member of the community. :(

http://youtu.be/Qh2sWSVRrmo
    sorry M D ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

This year was suppose to be all bout sony and all its exclusives..

Littlebigplanet 2 in january what a way to start the year
    Killzone 3 in febuary
    March yakuza 4 my fav game yet this year so far

Then all of a sudden lg sue sony
    Sony goes after hackers
    Sony sue geohot

Court case
    Court case
    Court case

Then the Attack of the nerds come
    We are legion : not as terrifying as the legion in fallout new vegas

Now psn down 2 weeks