Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

man i want this back online tomorrow!!! like ive said i dont want anything in return, just it turned back on! Ive contemplated trading it all in for an xbox out of pure desperation of wanting to be online but i feel il regret it so wont do it lol

I am even looking that new zombie map up on youtube! looks great, hurry up Sony, i just want it back! Keep your freebies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

man i want this back online tomorrow!!! like ive said i dont want anything in return, just it turned back on! Ive contemplated trading it all in for an xbox out of pure desperation of wanting to be online but i feel il regret it so wont do it lol

I am even looking that new zombie map up on youtube! looks great, hurry up Sony, i just want it back! Keep your freebies!!

Is this what we've become?....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hey, Sony... You hearing this? Yeah, hurry up, bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Every
    Villan
    Is
    Lemons

Good aul spongebob :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

I heard it might be back on friday.Wonder if that means it will be on after 12 o clock 2nite so???? im gona say a little prayer

• Advertisement

jimbob86 wrote: »
    I heard it might be back on friday.Wonder if that means it will be on after 12 o clock 2nite so???? im gona say a little prayer

PlayStation Network may be back online as soon as tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Aren't COD Map packs timed exclusives on 360? Or was it just the first map pack?

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Aren't COD Map packs timed exclusives on 360? Or was it just the first map pack?

They are indeed, PS3 COD maps will be released a month later so PSN being down makes no difference!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NUTZZ wrote: »

If thats true..........i'll be some happy man tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

They are indeed, PS3 COD maps will be released a month later so PSN being down makes no difference!

Except that it's Double XP weekend this weekend... an extended one until Tuesday! :eek:

• Advertisement

Desire. wrote: »
    Except that it's Double XP weekend this weekend... an extended one until Tuesday! :eek:

Ah we'll get a double XP weekend when it's released on PS3 and hopefully they'll be kind to us with all this PSN trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Ah we'll get a double XP weekend when it's released on PS3 and hopefully they'll be kind to us with all this PSN trouble!

I know, but we could've had two... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The comments under that story are so depressing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

From the official twitter, they just started testing, so I'd guess Sunday/Monday for a launch
    Today our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. As previously mentioned, we’ve been working around the clock to rebuild the network and enhance protections of your personal data. It’s our top priority to ensure your data is safe when you begin using the services again.
    We understand that many of you are eager to again enjoy the PlayStation Network and Qriocity entertainment services that you love, so we wanted you to be aware of this milestone and our progress. We will provide additional updates as soon as we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

all that i have to say is this is the last sony console im buying , psp ngp and so fourth im not getting
    Was just talking to my mate about this kind of attitude tonight...

Let me ask something (To all the people that said Sony was ridiculous or that they are moving to xBox) , if your car (toyota) broke down, and took a week to fix, would you say "Fúck this, I'll never buy toyota again, i'll buy Fiat instead" ??

Tallon wrote: »

Let me ask something (To all the people that said Sony was ridiculous or that they are moving to xBox) , if your car (toyota) broke down, and took a week to fix, would you say "Fúck this, I'll never buy toyota again, i'll buy Fiat instead" ??

You implying there's something wrong with Fiat's?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'd buy a Volkswagen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

If anything this is going to mean all Sonys online stuff will be super secure now.

And yeah this has been really annoying and the time its taking is starting to really annoy me now but it doesn't annoy me as much as having to pay Microsoft every year for a service that goes down every now and then too.

Although I do expect some sort of gift from Sony now as a PSN user and a better shinier gift as a Plus user. Reparations, reparations!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

I'd imagine Sony will do everything possible to never let a slip up like this happen again, the way some people are going on is that this will occur frequently.

• Advertisement

And apart from the downtime has anything actually happened to anyone here? Or is all this just typical moral outrage at a hypothetical scenario?

You implying there's something wrong with Fiat's?

lol, nothing... Thats the point! :p
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I'd buy a Volkswagen

So (a PC?) See what I did there?
    Qs wrote: »
    If anything this is going to mean all Sonys online stuff will be super secure now.

And yeah this has been really annoying and the time its taking is starting to really annoy me now but it doesn't annoy me as much as having to pay Microsoft every year for a service that goes down every now and then too.

Although I do expect some sort of gift from Sony now as a PSN user and a better shinier gift as a Plus user. Reparations, reparations!

Yes, yes YES... He gets it!

It's not Sony's 'fault' but they are trying to Fully fix it rather than an Update each month...

Look lads, if someone hacked Sony, and took nothing, just had a look, and then got caught and arrested... Sony would still take PSN offline and install security as it obviously was easily (Not that easy) infiltrated by someone.

They're not acting like this because CC's were stolen, they're doing it becaue they realise their servers were not as secure as first thought!

And not using Sony any more because of this is like not using a bank any more because some one robbed it. At the end of the day there is only so much security you can put in place.

Its like the way Windows and Mac both get viruses all the time, do people never use either now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Looks like it will be back sooner rather than later according to this article:
    Dear Friends,
    I know this has been a frustrating time for all of you.
    Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyber-attack we’ve all experienced and on fixing it. We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less.
    To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We are also moving ahead with plans to help protect our customers from identity theft around the world. A program for U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers that includes a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user was launched earlier today and announcements for other regions will be coming soon.
    As we have announced, we will be offering a “Welcome Back” package to our customers once our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are up and running. This will include, among other benefits, a month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, as well as an extension of subscriptions for PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited customers to make up for time lost.
    As a company we — and I — apologize for the inconvenience and concern caused by this attack. Under the leadership of Kazuo Hirai, we have teams working around the clock and around the world to restore your access to those services as quickly, and as safely, as possible.
    I know some believe we should have notified our customers earlier than we did. It’s a fair question. As soon as we discovered the potential scope of the intrusion, we shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and hired some of the best technical experts in the field to determine what happened. I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, but forensic analysis is a complex, time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had — or had not — been taken.
    As a result of what we discovered we notified you of the breach. Our investigation is ongoing, and we are upgrading our security so that if attacks like this happen again, our defenses will be even stronger.
    In the last few months, Sony has faced a terrible earthquake and tsunami in Japan. But now we are facing a very man-made event – a criminal attack on us — and on you — and we are working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies around the world to apprehend those responsible.
    In the coming days, we will restore service to the networks and welcome you back to the fun. I wanted to personally reach out and let you know that we are committed to serving you to the very best of our ability, protecting your information better than ever, and getting you back to what you signed up for – all the games and great entertainment experiences that you expect from Sony.
    With best regards,
    Howard Stringer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

sorry i didnt take my medication , im sane again , just pissed few mins ago ;)

And not using Sony any more because of this is like not using a bank any more because some one robbed it. At the end of the day there is only so much security you can put in place.

Its like the way Windows and Mac both get viruses all the time, do people never use either now?

Hey hey hey, let's not get carried away here!!

Windows and Mac? Are you mad?

*Syncs iPhone with PC...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

People who have major issues with a car often don't buy the same brand.

That's a pretty ridiculous line of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

I'm about done with tranquility. COD can't come soon enough.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    People who have major issues with a car often don't buy the same brand.

That's a pretty ridiculous line of thought.
    Yes they do..

Is it really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

A group of hackers says it is planning another wave of cyberattacks against Sony in retaliation for its handling of the PlayStation Network breach.
    An observer of the Internet Relay Chat channel used by the hackers told CNET today that a third major attack is planned this weekend against Sony's Web site. The people involved plan to publicize all or some of the information they are able to copy from Sony's servers, which could include customer names, credit card numbers, and addresses, according to the source. The hackers claim they currently have access to some of Sony's servers.
    Should the planned attack succeed, it would be the latest blow in a series of devastating security breaches of Sony's servers over the past month. The failure of Sony's server security has ignited investigations by the FBI, the Department of Justice, Congress, and the New York State Attorney General, a well as data security and privacy authorities in the U.K., Canada, and Taiwan.
    Several weeks ago the hacker group known as Anonymous targeted several Sony Web sites, including Sony.com and SonyStyle.com, with a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack in retaliation for what its members saw as Sony's unfair legal action against hacker George Hotz. Two weeks ago Sony's PlayStation Network, along with its Qriocity service and Sony Online, were the target of an attack that exposed the personal information of more than 100 million Sony customers. Sony was forced to shut down PSN, Qriocity, and Sony Online, and is currently working to bring them back online after rebuilding the security of its servers.
    Sony says it doesn't know who orchestrated what it's calling a "highly sophisticated, planned" attack, but it has dropped hints that the group Anonymous is involved. Kazuo Hirai, chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment, told a Congressional subcommittee in a letter yesterday that the intruders on its servers planted a file named "Anonymous" containing the statement "We are Legion," part of the group's tagline.
    Anonymous issued a statement yesterday denying it was involved in the PSN breach. "While we are a distributed and decentralized group, our 'leadership' does not condone credit card theft," the statement said.
    Now it seems the same group of hackers that was able to infiltrate the PSN servers is planning to hit back against Sony.
    Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html

-_-

^^ Total BS

If this does happen, it means we're dealing with terrorists!

ANON would never Blackmail or organise another attack while a service is currently, completely disabled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ANON would never Blackmail or organise another attack while a service is currently, completely disabled!

hmmm how would you know Tallon?

shifty-eyed-dog.gif

Headshot wrote: »
    hmmm how would you know Tallon?

shifty-eyed-dog.gif
    Enjoy your sleep tonight!...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

A letter from Howard Stringer
    Dear Friends,
    I know this has been a frustrating time for all of you.
    Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyber-attack we’ve all experienced and on fixing it. We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less.

To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We are also moving ahead with plans to help protect our customers from identity theft around the world. A program for U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers that includes a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user was launched earlier today and announcements for other regions will be coming soon.

As we have announced, we will be offering a “Welcome Back” package to our customers once our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are up and running. This will include, among other benefits, a month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, as well as an extension of subscriptions for PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited customers to make up for time lost.

As a company we — and I — apologize for the inconvenience and concern caused by this attack. Under the leadership of Kazuo Hirai, we have teams working around the clock and around the world to restore your access to those services as quickly, and as safely, as possible.

I know some believe we should have notified our customers earlier than we did. It’s a fair question. As soon as we discovered the potential scope of the intrusion, we shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and hired some of the best technical experts in the field to determine what happened. I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, but forensic analysis is a complex, time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had — or had not — been taken.

As a result of what we discovered we notified you of the breach. Our investigation is ongoing, and we are upgrading our security so that if attacks like this happen again, our defenses will be even stronger.

In the last few months, Sony has faced a terrible earthquake and tsunami in Japan. But now we are facing a very man-made event – a criminal attack on us — and on you — and we are working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies around the world to apprehend those responsible.

In the coming days, we will restore service to the networks and welcome you back to the fun. I wanted to personally reach out and let you know that we are committed to serving you to the very best of our ability, protecting your information better than ever, and getting you back to what you signed up for – all the games and great entertainment experiences that you expect from Sony.

With best regards,
    Howard Stringer

EDIT : What I find amazing and have NEVER seen before... This blog post was posted somewhere around 1am this morning. There are NO COMMENTS at all. Normally, I'd see pages of comments to the blandest blog post. There is not one and it's a good 9 hours later. Plenty of comments on the US blog version, though.

EDIT 2 : After the feeling of stoopidity, I realise that we can't log in to leave comments :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just to expand the car analogy that Tallon used....

It's less your car breaking down and more some guys opening the bonnet during the night and taking a sledge hammer to the engine and taking a sh!t on the bonnet when they're done. Now you could blame the car manufacturer for not putting in a better alarm i suppose, but it definitely isn't gonna make you buy a different brand especially if you really like(d) the brand!

Trade your PS3 if you like, people.

The PS3 has given me too many good times to knee-jerk on this one. The end of MGS4. The Chicago level in Resistance 2. All of Uncharted 2.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to rebel at this stage. We're bros 4 life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Get an Xbox 360, much better in everyway for serious gamers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

donalg1 wrote: »

*Extends arm and points finger slowly*

TTTTTTTTRRRRRRROOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

doublefacepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Did you think up of this all by yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

He's a kid no doubt that thinks he knows it all :pac:

Well as a serous gamer, I own the holy trinity. PS3, 360, Wii.

And as a serious gamer, I appreciate being treated like one by the only console of the three that doesn't greet me with a quirky Lego man when I boot 'er up, but thanks forth suggestion nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Grayditch wrote: »
    Well as a serous gamer, I own the Wii.

Snigger :P

Sort of out of context, but yeah, g'man. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can't really compare the PS3 or 360 to anything else, both have unique things that make a big difference from the other.

If you don't have a PS3 no uncharted for you and buying a 360 won't fix that.

If you go off a car manufacturer you can get pretty much the same thing from someone else, going off PS3 is like being pissed off at Toyota for your car and then buying a boat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A serious gamer wouldn't knock the wii. There's a heap of fantastic games for it if you ignore the shovelware.

I'd love to be too :cool: for Marion Galaxy 2, but I we can't all flood the Black Ops servers!

They have servers, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A serious gamer wouldn't knock the wii. There's a heap of fantastic games for it if you ignore the shovelware.

You actually need a shovel to get through all that **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

For those of you on this thread expressing excessive rage at this situation and stating that you are thinking of moving to xbox live......do! Pleeeeeaaaaaase. Xbox live, and a large section of its community, will suit you perfectly.

Looking forward to the return of PSN. May feel a little like switching on a new console. My online virginity has grown back fully, though I have also developed a growth beside the four fingers on each of my hands. Kinda finger like but shorter and fatter!

• Advertisement
Advertisement