Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've always thought it's impossible to have a bias towards one console unless you want to miss out on a **** tonne of games. With PS3 I have my Demon Souls, LittleBigPlanet or Yakuza. With 360 I have tonnes of Cave shooters and downloadable Treasure games. With Wii I have Mario Galaxy and all the other rock solid Nintendo franchises. I know not everyone can afford all these days (I'm lucky I bought them when I did!) but console wars are unnecessary when each of them has such riches.

Indeed, online gaming is not something I spend a lot of time in. Thing I've missed most about PSN is just being able to browse the store and see what's out. Wouldn't consider selling it for a second, especially with region-free Catherine on the horizon. And while I've spent more time with the 360 recently - ah, Bangai-O, how you melt my eyes! - I don't really have a favourite console. It's a shame this outage has occured in the first place, but that doesn't mean the PS3 is suddenly a useless console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

donalg1 wrote: »
    LOL thats why i was playing COD online last night the same time you were checking your credit card account to see how much was stolen from you, Xbox Rules

I am going to put you onto my "people that try too hard" list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh, and no more stupid "LOL Xbox rulllleezzzz" posts please? They just make you look like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

LOL thats why i was playing COD online last night the same time you were checking your credit card account to see how much was stolen from you, Xbox Rules
    Dear god he slagged off my console, wheres my gun I have never been this offended or angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't dislike the Wii because i think it doesn't have any good games i dislike it because Nintendo packaged up old technology that didn't work as they advertised and sold it to kids at a premium price. Mario on my SNES is still played all the time and its awesome but i wouldn't pay 300 euro for a console to play it on no matter how good it is. I feel the same about Wii games. If the Wii was €100-150 euro then i would say its a great little machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

301k7z5.png

So true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I don't dislike the Wii because i think it doesn't have any good games i dislike it because Nintendo packaged up old technology that didn't work as they advertised and sold it to kids at a premium price. Mario on my SNES is still played all the time and its awesome but i wouldn't pay 300 euro for a console to play it on no matter how good it is. I feel the same about Wii games. If the Wii was €100-150 euro then i would say its a great little machine.

In fairness, I bought a brand new wii for 110 there about 3 weeks ago, they have dropped alot in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Originally Posted by donalg1 View Post
    Get an Xbox 360, much better in everyway for serious gamers

Get a PS3 ,so much better for flipant gamers

Get a Wii ,so much better for five year old gamers

Get a commodore 64 ,so much better for retro gamers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

If ya have a gander in the games forums you'll see a big old thread for this sort of discussion :D

• Advertisement

If ya have a gander in the games forums you'll see a big old thread for this sort of discussion :D

Yeah ,i know people are going off topic a bit but seeing that nobody knows anything concrete about when the psn network will be back (RUMOURS OF 2-3 WEEKS!!!EEEEK!!!)this thread could get very boring.

You.. don't have to eh, ... stay on the thread while PSN is down. :(

Grayditch wrote: »
    You.. don't have to eh, ... stay on the thread while PSN is down. :(

I know ,but...i'm bored because i've no ps3:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Generic let's get back on topic post

So let's get back on topic! These which console is teh bestest threads only ever go one way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wish those hackers would feck off and just leave psn alone,attack something ye dirty dogs :mad::mad:

News just in......The hackers have been traced back to a large compound in pakistan...navy seal have killed them all as they weren't naked.....PSN back online about 2 P.M.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Get an Xbox 360, much better in everyway for serious gamers

If that's the way you think then you're doing yourself an injustice by missing out on some amazing exclusives.

Serious gamer indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Two weeks now, I don't care about the ins and outs, who hacked what and how, just turn it on.

Turn it on, right now? In it's exact current state?

If they are in their final stages of testing. Yes.

Before the tests are finished?

Ok you asked for it...

nuclear-mushroom-cloud-1024x818.jpg

• Advertisement

I'll accept a set in stone time and date for when it's back, there's a lot of guessing going on. I can't read another blog filled with zombie fanboys with such insightful commentary such as "Sure didn't we do alright with the PS2 offline?"

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

I'll accept a set in stone time and date for when it's back, there's a lot of guessing going on. I can't read another blog filled with zombie fanboys with such insightful commentary such as "Sure didn't we do alright with the PS2 offline?"

Everyone wants a set time and date for when it's back up. But Sony aren't forthcoming with this because they don't even know. But there are a crazy amount of blogs out there with lots of fanboys guessing when PSN will be back. As long as there is no other unscheduled downtime once its back up in the future this wait will have been worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

keithc83 wrote: »
    Everyone wants a set time and date for when it's back up. But Sony aren't forthcoming with this because they don't even know. But there are a crazy amount of blogs out there with lots of fanboys guessing when PSN will be back. As long as there is no other unscheduled downtime once its back up in the future this wait will have been worth it.

True, i would rather Sony take the time they need and make sure everything is secure and this doesn't happen again so easily and jeopardise all our personal and CC information. The 1st rule in IT 'never give a time incase you don't make your own deadline'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it would be nice to get it back sometime this weekend though. had to pay car insurance so am fairly broke and will be locking myself all weekend.

i am sure there will be problems though , with the large numbers logging on as soon as news spreads about its return, and with a system that has had only limited (time and numbers) testing.

I've thought about that alright, are they doing a region-by-region, slowly does it thing, I wonder.

I'm going to put my face into Fight Night and The Masters today with the EA face thingie. Also, the other day I bought The Fight for the Move. Things are getting a bit shadey for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm pretty sure over the past few weeks Sony have said

- It will be up and running in a day or two (around 22nd April)
    - It will be back on Tuesday 3rd May
    - It will be back by the end of this week

If they'd just said nothing I probably wouldn't be so upset........ probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure over the past few weeks Sony have said

- It will be up and running in a day or two (around 22nd April)
    - It will be back on Tuesday 3rd May
    - It will be back by the end of this week

If they'd just said nothing I probably wouldn't be so upset........ probably
    Are you sure you didn't read that somewhere on an internet forum? :pac: Never believe anything anyone says on an internet forum. They're probably lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Are you sure you didn't read that somewhere on an internet forum? :pac: Never believe anything anyone says on an internet forum. They're probably lying.

Lying on the internet :eek: The last bastion of honesty and integrity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

They're probably lying.

There ye go. Fixed that for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Think somrthing happening maybe,was on the ps and it popped up in the corner "you have beeen disconted from playstation sever"....so i went to go into playstaion home and it sais i have to download an update whick im now doin,this happen anybody else???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

no nothin happened still the same,fvck it anyway :mad: but it let me download an update???

Update servers are still online. And i've been getting the "you have been disconnected from..." message for weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

once you see update is required is when we can all WHOOP for joy, ofc exactly when that will be is still up for debate

Shin

PSN down, earthquakes, tidal waves, hell, the four horsemen of the apocalypse couldn't stop your PS3 from trying to update a game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mrm wrote: »
    For those of you on this thread expressing excessive rage at this situation and stating that you are thinking of moving to xbox live......do! Pleeeeeaaaaaase. Xbox live, and a large section of its community, will suit you perfectly.

Looking forward to the return of PSN. May feel a little like switching on a new console. My online virginity has grown back fully, though I have also developed a growth beside the four fingers on each of my hands. Kinda finger like but shorter and fatter!

They are penises, or penii..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

RangeR wrote: »
    There ye go. Fixed that for ye.

So they are telling the truth then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mcgovern wrote: »
    So they are telling the truth then?

Nope. And neither am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

whiterebel wrote: »
    They are penises, or penii..........:D

I wrote 'shorter and fatter', so they most certainly are not those, smartass!!:)

Regarding the potential requirement for a region by region relaunch, (naive question alert!) would the different timezones involved in their large markets be sufficient over a 24 hour period relaunch? If not, is it likely we might see a European relaunch a few days after the Japanese/ US ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

nom nom nom

• Advertisement

I thought this excerpt from playstation.blog.europe was interesting

"in the US we are offering all PSN users one year’s free access to an identity protection scheme. I can assure you that here in the SCEE region, we are working incredibly hard to offer you something very similar"

A years FREE access,so when the years up does this mean you will have to PAY to keep your details relatively safe.
    Surely they're not thinking of trying to make money off the backs of customers who have already been shafted:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Please tell me its back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

shinzon wrote: »
    once you see update is required is when we can all WHOOP for joy, ofc exactly when that will be is still up for debate

Shin
    Estimated download time: 10h 27m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Daemos wrote: »
    Estimated download time: 10h 27m

only if you live in bogland...ill be done in about 10 mins :) ahhh should be back for christmas day lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Just tried to log into PSN from my PSP. Instead of the usual error message I got "This server is currently undergoing maintenance." It would gas if they just started to work on it now.:D

ben101 wrote: »
    I thought this excerpt from playstation.blog.europe was interesting

"in the US we are offering all PSN users one year’s free access to an identity protection scheme. I can assure you that here in the SCEE region, we are working incredibly hard to offer you something very similar"

A years FREE access,so when the years up does this mean you will have to PAY to keep your details relatively safe.
    Surely they're not thinking of trying to make money off the backs of customers who have already been shafted:eek:

That WOULD actually be horrifying. I'd have a major problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

It better be back before the weekend is out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    It better be back before the weekend is out!
    It won't...

It is a bit crazy at this stage, and when everone does hit it at once, it'll more than likely crash again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Here's some details on the 'Welcome Back Package'
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/06/scee-identity-theft-protection-offering/
    We will be offering PSN users the opportunity to select two PS3 games from a list of five, as well as offering PSP users the opportunity to choose two games from a list of four. We will let you know exactly what games are available very soon.
    Just wondering, what if you are both a PSP user and PS3 user? Wonder if we can avail of both! Suppose it's time to fire up the PSP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

will we get to keep for good these ps3 games?

or will they only be playable for the 30 days of ps+ being active?

A selection of 2 out of 5? Not bad, was expecting 1 game of their choice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement