Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anyone know will we have to use the month of ps plus straight away, or can we activate it whenever we want? Its just ill be pretty bogged down with exams over the next few weeks so i wont get much playing time, would prefer to get the use out of it once the exams are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

xly5E.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bollocks, I didn't open up the old CoD can of worms again did I? Oops :o

The following paragraphs contain personal opinion, and I do not dismiss the many strengths of the Call of Duty franchise (just some of them) :pac:

Ain't nothing wrong with CoD, but I don't like its dominance of the market (especially the introduction of XP systems - curse your once innovative idea, Infinity Ward!). I think it has dragged attention away from other games, and also had a very negative effect on game design in general, particularly the need to integrate XP systems and online multiplayer into every other game. It's an off topic argument though, and one for another thread!

I'm more a single player gamer myself anyway. If I did want a bit of online action, Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 are preferable IMO. It's all down to opinion I guess, but it does seem a shame that some people out there only play the annual CoD update, or FIFA or whatever. There's a wealth of games of all shapes and genres out there, and it'd be great if the PSN outage gives people a chance to explore this variety.

And many of them don't have blasted prestige options either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

this is getting very frustrating i wanna play FUT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I want to fuppin' link my portal 2 to my steam account so I can finally start playing it with better controls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I wanna download Mick Hucknall's face into Fight Night so I can batter him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

MarkY91 wrote: »
    first game i played online was cod 4...played through all them right up to black ops..as mentioned above i have a try at loads of shooters and other types online but they were all mostly crap compared to cod...everyone has their own opinions and i just dont like to play any shooters online other than cod

*awaits the taunting because my opinion is different than yours*

I have a mate who only play's COD, he can't stand learning curve with a new shooter, so he sticks to the same franchise so he doesn't have to learn how to play a new game. I got him to play BF:BC2 once and he got his ass kicked and rather than persisting with it and getting better he just switched back to COD as he couldn't stand to loose.

First game I played online was Unreal Tournament for pc in 1999, first console game I played online was Rainbow Six on the original xbox around 2003. Joined a CSS clan and played competitively for about 2 years. Now I usually only play a game online for a few weeks before moving on to a new one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I guess psn wont be back in time for brink :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

If the PSN comes back now i'll just end up playing U2 for 2 days and fail the rest of my exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I guess psn wont be back in time for brink :(

Brink's out on Friday. Could easily be back by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i have had a look at the amount of games i own for the ps3 while looking for something interesting single player and its quite shocking the amount i have spent !! and most of these i have no where near finished (i blame high wages before recession :p )

i'm after counting 38 games :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Bollocks, I didn't open up the old CoD can of worms again did I? Oops :o

The following paragraphs contain personal opinion, and I do not dismiss the many strengths of the Call of Duty franchise (just some of them) :pac:

Ain't nothing wrong with CoD, but I don't like its dominance of the market (especially the introduction of XP systems - curse your once innovative idea, Infinity Ward!). I think it has dragged attention away from other games, and also had a very negative effect on game design in general, particularly the need to integrate XP systems and online multiplayer into every other game. It's an off topic argument though, and one for another thread!

I'm more a single player gamer myself anyway. If I did want a bit of online action, Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 are preferable IMO. It's all down to opinion I guess, but it does seem a shame that some people out there only play the annual CoD update, or FIFA or whatever. There's a wealth of games of all shapes and genres out there, and it'd be great if the PSN outage gives people a chance to explore this variety.

And many of them don't have blasted prestige options either :P

So, you like playing with yourself? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Notorious wrote: »
    Personally, I'd pick Battlefield over COD. I perfer the tactical side to Battlefield over COD's run-and-gun gameplay, as well as the different classes that give a varied element to the game. Your assault class provides ammo and the medic keeps your team alive. If you come across a trigger happy tank driver, your sniper or engineer can take it out.

COD online is great, but only in small quantities for me. I see it as the Groundhog Day of shooters.

thats your preference, mine is different so in my eyes any shooter but cod is crap...cant change my opinion like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So, you like playing with yourself? :pac:

Nah, just don't like doing the same thing over and over again while listening to shrill American teenagers to get a crappy insignia beside my name :P

Oh yeah, I should probably direct this back on topic at some point too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

sink wrote: »
    I have a mate who only play's COD, he can't stand learning curve with a new shooter, so he sticks to the same franchise so he doesn't have to learn how to play a new game. I got him to play BF:BC2 once and he got his ass kicked and rather than persisting with it and getting better he just switched back to COD as he couldn't stand to loose.

First game I played online was Unreal Tournament for pc in 1999, first console game I played online was Rainbow Six on the original xbox around 2003. Joined a CSS clan and played competitively for about 2 years. Now I usually only play a game online for a few weeks before moving on to a new one.

i dont not play other shooters cod im bad (im preety good at any shooter i played) im used to then within minutes, i just dont enjoy them, i play as well as i do on cod but just dont enjoy them..............were getting way off topic maby someone should open a new thread about it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

2smiggy wrote: »
    i have had a look at the amount of games i own for the ps3 while looking for something interesting single player and its quite shocking the amount i have spent !! and most of these i have no where near finished (i blame high wages before recession :p )

i'm after counting 38 games :eek:

Same here. I've finished maybe 5% of the titles I've bought in the last 3 years.

On the other hand, I have a combined playtime of over 90 days across all COD titles. So, y'know, swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

damm, I loke the odd single player game campaign , but unless it has a sandbox design (new vegas, GTA) or alot of options I find they get old fast.

multiplayer is usually where i look for true staying power in a game.

I have 12 games, 7 are mine, 5 i never play lol, found 1 or 2 with good multiplayer and havn't bought a game in about 9 months. I do PC game a bit though, Like stratgy games which are nonexistent/crap on consoles and of course CSS and DOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I usually get around to playing and finishing all my games and ive over 60 retail games at the moment, I prefer unique multiplayer experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another major hack planned aginst Sony this weekend?

Awesome!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300340/major-sony-hack-planned-for-this-weekend-report/

Also, 4 of the hackers were identified and were last seen rollerblading round New York

hackers.jpg

Holy Angelina Jolie!

Sony are gonna give us 2 free games out of a choice of 5 when PSN is back up. I wonder what they might beeeeeeeeee :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300500/news/playstation-network-users-offered-2-free-ps3-games-for-suffering-down-time/

• Advertisement

Jaysus Sheehy, both pieces of information have already been stated here. Keep up ffs :pac:

Jaysus Sheehy, both pieces of information have already been stated here. Keep up ffs :pac:

Ah nagdammit! I was late to this thread and couldn't trapse through 80 pages! :D

All, please ignore my useless posts above! Except for the pic of Hackers, what an awesome film!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah nagdammit! I was late to this thread and couldn't trapse through 80 pages! :D

All, please ignore my useless posts above! Except for the pic of Hackers, what an awesome film!!

HA HA!!!

/me points at sheehy83

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

There's no word yet on what 5 games people can select from is there?

Presume they'll have to be first party titles, past their shelf-life, suitable for all ages and DLC compatible.

At a guess that'd mean LBP1, Wipeout (not including Fury), Uncharted 1 (if that's on the PSN store?), with an outside chance of SOCOM Confrontation (might be too mature to give to all users), and Gran Turismo Prologue.

I can't think of many other suitable titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

There is no real definite word on anything yet. I'm sure that list of games will be made available soon though. I hope they do put something decent in there considering the length of time we have had to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

raze wrote: »
    There's no word yet on what 5 games people can select from is there?

Presume they'll have to be first party titles, past their shelf-life, suitable for all ages and DLC compatible.

At a guess that'd mean LBP1, Wipeout (not including Fury), Uncharted 1 (if that's on the PSN store?), with an outside chance of SOCOM Confrontation (might be too mature to give to all users), and Gran Turismo Prologue.

I can't think of many other suitable titles.

Uncharted definitely wouldn't be suitable for all ages. I'd guess it's going to be more along the lines of downloadable games. Probably a pixeljunk title in there. I'd say they'd be slow to offer a title they've already given away with plus, but Wipeout could be one of the five alright.

Games list was released

L.A Noire, Brink, Mortal Kombat, Portal 2 and Duke Nukem: Forever.

Not a bad list I spose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Games list was released

Not a bad list I spose.

Ya right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

Games list was released

Not a bad list I spose.

Good one! :pac:

• Advertisement

Link?

mmmm www.freegamesfromsonybecauseofhackingandlotofcreditcarddetailssstolen.com

Apologies, i'm extremely bored

Back on topic, I'm no Richie Richardson the 3rd so I can't afford PS Plus. With the 30 days i'll be getting for free, any daycent stuff I can get off it at the moment? (when its back up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just turned on the PS3 to play a DVD and it said there was an update available. Currently downloading 3.60.
    I'm assuming even though its down, u can still update?

Update servers are still up yea. I'm assuming you haven't turned yours on for months? :P

Would love if they had Pixeljunk Shooter 2 as a free game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Just turned on the PS3 to play a DVD and it said there was an update available. Currently downloading 3.60.
    I'm assuming even though its down, u can still update?

Yea that was released on the 11th March. You update games also.

O I miss Battlefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I predict the games will be old games that dont sell well anymore, also if u have a us account can we get more free stuff and plus from that account?

Any good gamer would own the best games on psn anyway so im not expecting much. The psp games might be from the list of 10 which were used to promote the pspgo.

Since the downtime im one trophy from assasins creed plat and am nearing the end of brotherhood, cant w8 to see what mulitplayer is like on it.

I predict certain games will have patchs ready to be implemented also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I finished Black Ops on Veteran yeterday due to my boredom.It was pretty easy but some bits alost resulted in me nearly throwing my controller through a wall.All i have to do now is to find all the intel which shouldnt take long........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Chavways wrote: »
    All i have to do now is to find all the intel which shouldnt take long........
    This will sound stupid but, how do you find the intel? :o
    I only got this game off a friend on friday btw

Mayo_Boy wrote: »

I suppose the hard way to do it would be to scour each map for hours on end to try to find each one but then you will inevitably end up being one piece short
    or
    you could do it the easy way and just search online.Theres loads of websites that tell you where all of them are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Mayo_Boy wrote: »

Its scattered randomly around the levels , you just have to look around for it.

Or you can google the locations and you'll know exactly where to find the intel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Whats the intel??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Whats the intel??:confused:
    Little laptops withing CoD which you have to find, I think there's like 40 or something.

Like easter eggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

Tallon wrote: »
    Little laptops withing CoD which you have to find, I think there's like 40 or something.

Like easter eggs

The difference between black ops and modern warfare 1 though is that there is no bonus for collecting all the intel, except to show that you get a trophy to show you have more time on your hands than any man should ever have..... I am the proud owner of such a trophy. Stupid OCD.

The difference between black ops and modern warfare 1 though is that there is no bonus for collecting all the intel, except to show that you get a trophy to show you have more time on your hands than any man should ever have..... I am the proud owner of such a trophy. Stupid OCD.

Do you have platinum for Black Ops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

It'll be a while longer before PSN is back
    All of some details stolen have been posted online.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/may/08/playstation-network-restart-delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

What a load of balls :mad:

A-Trak wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/may/08/playstation-network-restart-delayed

Heh?

And we already knew this, was common knowledge days ago.

This was known on Friday.Come back when you have some fresh info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Heh?

And we already knew this, was common knowledge days ago.

PSN

60% of the time, it works every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Was playing Castlevania LOS there and got a message stating I had just disconnected from an /Wireless/access point via PSN!
    Never got that message before.

Could it be back tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Jesus, this thread moves fast.

I copped onto my late news, hence my hastily "All of some," edit.
    Also I am drunk as a lord, it all adds up. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Was playing Castlevania LOS there and got a message stating I had just disconnected from an /Wireless/access point via PSN!
    Never got that message before.

Could it be back tomorrow?

Possibly...

Possibly Tuesday too, or maybe Wednesday. Could even be Thursday. Then again, it might be Fri.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement