Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

The biggest problem for me is the timing. If all this happened when L.A. Noire came out I think I would get by (kinda getting sold on the buzz alone). Or if it happened after red dead or some other AAA single player. As it stands it has happened when the only thing to do with the playstation is multiplay old FPS's or Portal 2 (strictly speaking they are not the ONLY things to do on playstation but I am informed that Gentlemens special interests are still available:eek:).

Thank god for boards. Otherwise I mightn't know how angry I should be.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Done a google search there now and there is reports stating it might not be back til the 31 May :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

When people don't read full articles and only the headlines....

MAKES ME ANGREH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

All these reports of it not coming back until the 31st of May are not highlighting on key point.
    The online gaming section of it will deffo back up and running before then. If you're on twitter then I suggest you follow MusterBuster.
    http://twitter.com/#!/MusterBuster
    He does loads of Community stuff over there on the forums and is quick with the info coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Done a google search there now and there is reports stating it might not be back til the 31 May :rolleyes::mad:

You read it completely wrong.Full service wont be back until then.That includes multiplayer,PS Store,Home ,Qriocity,Chat and everything else to do with PSN.Online multiplayer will be back a long time before the 31st of May.Please read the full article before quoting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Welp, it's happened. I moved my Xbox 360 into the front room and my PS3 has been relegated to the back, while I traded in my PS3 versions of Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and Crysis for 360 copies.

Welp, it's happened. I moved my Xbox 360 into the front room and my PS3 has been relegated to the back, while I traded in my PS3 versions of Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and Crysis for 360 copies.

Holy impatience batman!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fowler87 wrote: »

Do us a favour, don't do Google searches unless you're going to read it, or read back a couple of pages here......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone know what the 5 games may be? Could they be just the mini PSN games, PS1 games or maybe even full ps3 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

All these reports of it not coming back until the 31st of May are not highlighting on key point.
    The online gaming section of it will deffo back up and running before then. If you're on twitter then I suggest you follow MusterBuster.
    http://twitter.com/#!/MusterBuster
    He does loads of Community stuff over there on the forums and is quick with the info coming out.

Cheers for that. I did only read the first few lines, will be careful in future. Too much tension is this thread as it is:o

• Advertisement

Holy impatience batman!

Not really. It's been almost three weeks now and I have a machine that's perfectly capable of playing the games I want to play online sitting in my backroom so it makes perfect sense really.

MAG is the only PS3 exclusive I really play online, and while I had planned on buying SOCOM 4 after the enjoyable beta, I think it’s going to be DOA when the PSN does come back up, having missed its window of opportunity to get established.

Anyone know what the 5 games may be? Could they be just the mini PSN games, PS1 games or maybe even full ps3 games?

I'd imagine they'll be the older Sony backed PSN games - stuff like the Pixeljunk series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I'd love to see sales figures for the last month, as well as figures for online activity for when the PSN is back online....

Korvanica wrote: »
    I'd love to see sales figures for the last month, as well as figures for online activity for when the PSN is back online....

If you take VGchartz info as being true (which is lol worthy in itself), then PS3 sales haven't really reacted to this at all.

But as i said.. it is VGchartz...

I'd imagine they'll be the older Sony backed PSN games - stuff like the Pixeljunk series.

So in other words, more than likely games most of us have already purchased.. I wish they just gave us 20euro to spend in store :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'll have one copy of Infamous and one copy of Mass Effect 2 Sony, thank you very much

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I'll have one copy of Infamous and one copy of Mass Effect 2 Sony, thank you very much

Exactly what I was thinking of too ;). I can see inFAMOUS as being a likely candidate for the 5 games.. As it is very cheap now, and with the sequel coming up people that get the 1st for free will then move on to purchase the second in June (I do believe it is out June)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anonymous have released another statement saying how they're a poor defenceless victim and all the evil Sony fan boys are yelling at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

You've got to be sh*tting me.

Possibly the biggest catastrophic outage of all time and all we'll get is crappy PSN games as a method of apology?

Don't even get me started on the 'free' PS plus for a month. A glorified advertisement to try and boost income levels.

Would not blame anyone for getting a 360 over this whole issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 king909

I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to download the dynamic DNA updates for NBA live 2010 on the web and transfer it to my PS3 using a flash drive?

If this is possible then where can i get these downloads?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Do people actually think Sony will give us proper retail titles? I'm only expecting a few PSN games myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

im probably being just very cynical about all of this, but its nearly the middle of may with no sign of anything happening with the services they said they were going to bring up before everything else was brought back online

So why couldnt it be May 31st or even longer, maybe its me just losing faith in what sony are saying these days, considering the fact that the announcement of bringing back some services was made before the 2nd attack, its not beyond the realms of possibility that they could delay it again

im hoping not but well im expecting the worst

Shin

NufcNavan wrote: »
    You've got to be sh*tting me.

Possibly the biggest catastrophic outage of all time and all we'll get is crappy PSN games as a method of apology?

Don't even get me started on the 'free' PS plus for a month. A glorified advertisement to try and boost income levels.

Would not blame anyone for getting a 360 over this whole issue.

He is just quessing that the games would be them... We may get better.. We will just have to see.. The titles have probably not been announced yet...!!

shinzon wrote: »
    im probably being just very cynical about all of this, but its nearly the middle of may with no sign of anything happening with the services they said they were going to bring up before everything else was brought back online

So why couldnt it be May 31st or even longer, maybe its me just losing faith in what sony are saying these days, considering the fact that the announcement of bringing back some services was made before the 2nd attack, its not beyond the realms of possibility that they could delay it again

im hoping not but well im expecting the worst

Shin

if you're referring to SOE then that was done at the same time and only noticed much later. I finish up on the 25th so as long as it's done by then i happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

He is just quessing that the games would be them... We may get better.. We will just have to see.. The titles have probably not been announced yet...!!
    I know that, but with the way Sony are handling the whole issue, he is probably right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

They shouldn't of fcuk'd with geohot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Varik wrote: »
    Anonymous have released another statement saying how they're a poor defenceless victim and all the evil Sony fan boys are yelling at them.
    When their site gets hacked I'll laugh so hard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I could see this outage going on until the end of the month, even beyond. If it's a full scale total rebuild of PSN which it probably is then it's a hell of a lot ofwork, basically fitting in a few months worth of work into a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd giggle if someone managed to bring it down again when it goes back up.

I am also angry that the PSN has been down for so long. However, I would rather they kept it down until the end of the month and make sure it is 99% secure so something like this won't happen again. I know I want it back soon, but it would be better off in the long-term if they fixed this problem once and for all right now.

• Advertisement

I'd cry. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Desire. wrote: »
    Do people actually think Sony will give us proper retail titles? I'm only expecting a few PSN games myself.

I think that would be counter productive. I assume they want to make a goodwill gesture that will tie people into PSN online, and the store.

E.g. if they forsake the revenue stream from selling LBP1 on the store the potential benefits include selling DLC, thus re-establishing Store transactions, keeping people using PSN multiplayer for online play and user generated content, being seen to be generous, and there's a sequel in the shops that might get a bump in sales.

If they give away a rake of ropey move PSN titles it'll just be more bad PR.

Still, wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

I would not be surprised if those hackers do try it again. Lets just hope Sony have managed to cover those loopholes allowing access......and i am not holding my breath on that one....

Also just an update it looks like the PSN will NOT be back up before the 31st.

Check the source here

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

I think until the day arrives that we do know what they will be we should all speculate wildly.

Come on Duke Nukem 4ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I could see this outage going on until the end of the month, even beyond. If it's a full scale total rebuild of PSN which it probably is then it's a hell of a lot ofwork, basically fitting in a few months worth of work into a couple of weeks.

There was the old chat log from hackers discussing PSN that suggested PSN multiplayer was inextricably tied to the Store - if that doesn't change then Sony can't bring it back piecemeal, but some statements have suggested a staged return. It could be a new PSN with all the headaches that'd cause. Hackers also said that at its heart the PSN was centralised (whereas Xbox is distributed). There was supposed to be relocation to a more secure facility as well. Lot's of work to get done, and it'd be worse to turn it on if it isn't reliable yet. That's before the final push when a hasty firmware update could brick PS3s, or worse weaken DRM :)

Sony did have up to date security.

http://bitmob.com/articles/detective-work-reveals-psn-servers-up-to-date
    Bitmob reports that Sony's PSN servers were running the most recent version of the Apache server software when they were hit, countering testimony made to the US Congress claiming that the PSN was running "very old versions of Apache software that were unpatched and had no firewall installed." That testimony was admittedly based on second-hand information.

Using Google's webcache, a member of the Beyond3D forums showed that as of March 23, Sony was running version 2.2.17, which was the latest stable version. If you're so inclined, you can double-check it."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The joys of multiple consoles :P

Complete speculation on my part but if Sony had any sense they'd make SOCOM 4 the free game.

The PSN downtime pretty much ensured that the game is dead on arrival. It was an online game that came out the week the online died and as a result flopped at launch, despite a well recieved beta. SOCOM has missed its window of opportunity and will struggle to get any kind of community now - which could spell the end of the series.

However, if Sony make it their 'hey we're sorry' gift then they could turn things around. They instantly ensure a massive amount of players for the game, keep the franchise alive and as it's a new release that's still full-price, they won't look like they're cheaping out on their appology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sony make Socom 4 the free game?

What are Zipper's employees kids gonna eat ;)

I agree that it's in serious trouble as a result of this, though.

Nevermind Socom 4, I would settle for Socom Confrontation at this point... If the servers are still alive, and possibly even MAG :p

• Advertisement

Well I think it sold 300,000 so far. It's not going to sell much more and as Zipper is owned by Sony they can make this kind of unilateral decision. Give the game to 35million people - for free - and sell them the DLC. If only 5% of them pay for DLC, it'll be quids in for Zipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I wonder, if it doesn't come back before promotion codes run out, will they go to waste? I'm mainly concerned about my promo code for 10 games for the PSPgo, I bought it just before Christmas and the code expires on the 9th of June. I never got around to using it because I was happy out playing PSone games like Final Fantasy VII on it. I know I should have acted way sooner, but I'm beginning to get worried that those games will go to waste now. Worst case scenario, things aren't fully restored by the expiry date (the PSN store being necessary), would getting onto them on the phone and explaining my case get me anywhere? Are Sony accommodating like that, anyone got experience with their customer service?

I wonder, if it doesn't come back before promotion codes run out, will they go to waste? I'm mainly concerned about my promo code for 10 games for the PSPgo, I bought it just before Christmas and the code expires on the 9th of June. I never got around to using it because I was happy out playing PSone games like Final Fantasy VII on it. I know I should have acted way sooner, but I'm beginning to get worried that those games will go to waste now. Worst case scenario, things aren't fully restored by the expiry date (the PSN store being necessary), would getting onto them on the phone and explaining my case get me anywhere? Are Sony accommodating like that, anyone got experience with their customer service?

I'm sure you will have plenty of time to use it by June?.. All you need to do is activate them, don't even need to fully download just activate them by June and you will be fit to redownload as you please.. But I am sure if you did lose out they may let you use code beyond it's expiry date if you ring them, but I am not sure of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I'm sure you will have plenty of time to use it by June?.. All you need to do is activate them, don't even need to fully download just activate them by June and you will be fit to redownload as you please.. But I am sure if you did lose out they may let you use code beyond it's expiry date if you ring them, but I am not sure of this!

Thanks, yeah it'll probably be okay, just starting to freaking out a bit but I'll try to stay calm, and patient. It's a great service, I'll definitely be returning to it and will continue to buy from the store, just gonna use PSN cards anymore! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Thanks, yeah it'll probably be okay, just starting to freaking out a bit but I'll try to stay calm, and patient. It's a great service, I'll definitely be returning to it and will continue to buy from the store, just gonna use PSN cards anymore! :)

This has been a PR disaster for Sony, I doubt such a large organisation need any more negative press by shafting a customer over expirey dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

So any ETA when PSN will be back? Having serious withdrawal symptoms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

im cracking up lol if they give socom 4 il lose it i bought it lol i want to get brink the weekend so im hoping this is sorted by friday!!

donmeister wrote: »
    Having serious withdrawal symptoms!

Same! I am actually studying! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

donmeister wrote: »
    So any ETA when PSN will be back? Having serious withdrawal symptoms!

Looks like the 31st now. Mentioned it in a previous post. The link is this one:

Check the source here

• Advertisement

keithc83 wrote: »
    Looks like the 31st now. Mentioned it in a previous post. The link is this one:

Check the source here

As has already been mentioned, that is the date when all PSN will be restored by - PS Store, Home, etc. The online gaming part should be back before then.

Advertisement