Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

Desire. wrote: »
    As has already been mentioned, that is the date when all PSN will be restored by - PS Store, Home, etc. The online gaming part should be back before then.

It more than likely won't be. Thats why they are mentioning the end of the month. I hope its back before then but it doesn't look likely. The attack was far worse than they thought and their testing revealed some problems when they were in the final stages. They have had to go back and redo some elements which is why they are taking so long. They are near enough rebuilding the whole system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

keithc83 wrote: »
    It more than likely won't be. Thats why they are mentioning the end of the month. I hope its back before then but it doesn't look likely. The attack was far worse than they thought and their testing revealed some problems when they were in the final stages. They have had to go back and redo some elements which is why they are taking so long. They are near enough rebuilding the whole system.

How bad. At least I will study for my tests which start on the 8th June.

I guess its good that it won't interfere in your studies but its a shame its taking so long. Such a bad flow of information from Sony and if they don't get their Wecome Back package right after this debacle i expect many gamers to leave them come the next round of next gen consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

For the umpteenth time, full restoration by the 31st, online play in the next week (should have been last week, but was put back due to SOE).

For the umpteenth time, full restoration by the 31st, online play in the next week (should have been last week, but was put back due to SOE).

Hopefully. Or do you know this for certain?? I mean have Sony been right so far with all their timelines??

• Advertisement

Hopefully. Or do you know this for certain?? I mean have Sony been right so far with all their timelines??

It was stated in there japanese presser last weekend, and they said it'll take a little more time on friday. And the associated twitter feeds i've been following are all clarifying it.

Since then they noticed that the attack was far more severe on their servers. I mean i hope you are right about that i really do. But all the information or lack there of coming out of Sony, only a little mention on their blog today, tells many people that this problem will not be solved as quickly as next week.

The problem is that the majority of new outlets didn't clarify that Sony said full restoration by the 31st, instead they all jumped on the worst case scenario band wagon and now we have all this mis-guided information floating around the web confusing everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the 31st of June :p... These dates given mean nothing, they can't be 100% sure that they will be back up by then... Knowing there luck it will be hacked again... Which will actually screw Sony big time... Ohh well we will just have to see what happens..

The problem is that the majority of new outlets didn't clarify that Sony said full restoration by the 31st, instead they all jumped on the worst case scenario band wagon and now we have all this mis-guided information floating around the web confusing everybody.

This situation was far worse than worse case scenario for most people so who knows. I hope its back by next week but we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I never would have bought Mortal Kombat if the PSN wasn't down. Of course it's annoying, but that's life and this game is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

This is like that southpark were they lost there internet and everyone was goin mad without it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

jimbob86 wrote: »
    This is like that southpark were they lost there internet and everyone was goin mad without it!!
    RandyMarshJizz.jpg?t=1246916211

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

jimbob86 wrote: »

It was a ghost, it sprayed me with it's ectoplasm:D

To be perfectly honest, these dates mean nothing to me either, because if they're working day and night and loosing billions over this then giving a date is pointless - they will want to restore everything as quick as they can to get some revenue back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It was a ghost, it sprayed me with it's ectoplasm:D

To be perfectly honest, these dates mean nothing to me either, because if they're working day and night and loosing billions over this then giving a date is pointless - they will want to restore everything as quick as they can to get some revenue back.

Exactly. And at the same time they know that the best part of 100m people are going to be jumping on the network the second it's back so it needs to be strong enough to deal with that and that every hacker in the World is going to be testing its security. It's **** that its not back yet but I'm sure that no one knows that more than Sony. As someone said a few pages back, they're trying to squeeze in months worth of work in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

so here we are at the end of, 'early next week' with not even an update on progress.

Well done sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

http://www.gamesindustry.biz
    Democrat senator Richard Blumenthal has praised Sony's response to the PlayStation Network security breach and suggested that it, "could serve as a model for other companies facing similar criminal hacking".

Blumenthal was one of the first politicians to contact Sony once details of the breach became public, with a list of questions and the demand that Sony offer free access to credit reporting services for two years and identity theft insurance.

Sony subsequently agreed to provide one year of free credit monitoring service to U.S. users, together with a $1 million insurance policy.

"I welcome Sony's strong first step toward protecting millions of consumers whose personal and financial information has been compromised," said Blumenthal on his official website.

"While I continue to believe that Sony should have warned users earlier, I am pleased they are providing protective measures including an insurance policy to cover identity theft harms to consumers within a twelve-month window – but I would hope Sony would extend coverage over a longer time on a case-by-case basis if necessary."

"Sony's response to preventing similar attacks in the future could serve as a model for other companies facing similar criminal hacking," added Blumenthal.

"The crime perpetrated on Sony and PlayStation Network users is part of a larger troubling trend of cybercrime, and a reminder that our laws and data security resources must keep pace with advancing technology. I look forward to working with Sony and others in the future to determine the best way forward, and continue to urge the Justice Department to pursue the criminals who attacked Sony's information system."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

dTSho.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I was undecided about Playstation or Xbox but after few weeks of this my mind was made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I was undecided about Playstation or Xbox but after few weeks of this my mind was made up.

A bit harsh and an over reaction don't you think? This is a freak scenario for Sony, why not say the same for Xbox with all the RROD problems. Psn is free compared to Xbox Live and since it was launched it's never been down for more than a day or two. If anything it will come back stronger and better than ever after this whole issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I had n xbox and then it RROD just a few short weeks after Live crashed. Decided to replace it with a playstation as I was fed up with paying for live back then. It's swings and roundabouts in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Bought a PS3 on the day PSN went down, initially thought something was wrong with it as it would not let me register for PSN.

40% through GT5 now though!

Still prefer the Xbox :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

You broke the psn.

RN2Pr.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RN2Pr.gif

haha that brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Sony wrote:
    I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/10/psn-restoration-timeline-update/

:/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/10/psn-restoration-timeline-update/
    I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

And the winner is... kersmash :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sniffing_glue.jpg

It might be a bad week to take up sniffing glue but it's a great week to take up minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I think I edged him out in leaving out a title 8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

as it will likely be at least be a few more days

Compared to a few weeks that isn't so bad, I mean, maybe....MAYBE....we could have it back by this weekend, I would imagine trying to get it going on a Friday means they get some people playing straight away

I bought a PSP the day the PSN crashed, also got a £50 gift card for the PSN as a present and MGS Peace Walker needs the PSN to connect - but if I get some decent free games, and a digital copy of WWE All Stars once the PSN starts back up I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

NUTZZ wrote: »
    A bit harsh and an over reaction don't you think? This is a freak scenario for Sony, why not say the same for Xbox with all the RROD problems. Psn is free compared to Xbox Live and since it was launched it's never been down for more than a day or two. If anything it will come back stronger and better than ever after this whole issue.

With cross game chat??????????

This whole thing was very well timed with my exams, Sony's always looking out for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

*Deletes Kersmashs' post*
    Magill wrote: »
    And the winner is... kersmash :D

Whatchoo talkin' bout...:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kersmash wrote: »

*sigh*

It wont be back in time for brink then :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Are Plus members just getting a month of plus as we've almost lost a month when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Varik wrote: »
    Are Plus members just getting a month of plus as we've almost lost a month when this is over.

You won't lose out on the duration you've paid for, and the month everyone gets free should stack on top of what you already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

weiland79 wrote: »
    With cross game chat??????????

No chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

AIB rang me today to tell me they had to cancel my Credit Card over it being used on the PSN. I asked they are they recommending this to all their customers and they said yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

cronin_j wrote: »
    AIB rang me today to tell me they had to cancel my Credit Card over it being used on the PSN. I asked they are they recommending this to all their customers and they said yes.
    Really? that's the first case I've heard now, at least in Ireland. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Really? that's the first case I've heard now, at least in Ireland. Not good.

Yep, I thought it was a pisstake at first. I dont have to change my pin, just Ill get a new card on friday.

Does that mean it was actually used or just as a precaution? Its just that i have a few friends with AIB and none of them have got a call yet but they have those credit cards registered on PSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Does that mean it was actually used or just as a precaution? Its just that i have a few friends with AIB and none of them have got a call yet but they have those credit cards registered on PSN.

It's precaution. Had to change a credit card before because it popped up on some list of potentially compromised cards. Got a new card and heard nothing about it since. They just don't want to have to cover fraudulent charges in the future.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that one up. I guess they will be getting a call about their cards in the next few days so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

All these reports of it not coming back until the 31st of May are not highlighting on key point.
    The online gaming section of it will deffo back up and running before then. If you're on twitter then I suggest you follow MusterBuster.
    http://twitter.com/#!/MusterBuster
    He does loads of Community stuff over there on the forums and is quick with the info coming out.
    Bookmarked. :pac:
    I'd giggle if someone managed to bring it down again when it goes back up.
    Well given Sony's history it wouldn't be too surprising. Like that February 29th bug. Didn't affect the Slim because someone noticed it and fixed it but never thought to get it fixed on the older models. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Absolutley, same here. I'd never miss Xbox Live this much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I lold

Dear Users of the AnonOps Network,

We regret to inform you today that our network has been compromised by a former IRC-operator and fellow helper named "Ryan". He decided that he didn't like the leaderless command structure that AnonOps Network Admins use. So he organised a coup d'etat, with his "friends" at skidsr.us . Using the networks service bot "Zalgo" he scavenged the IP's and passwords of all the network servers (including the hub) and then systematically aimed denial of service attacks at them (which is why the network has been unstable for the past week). Unfortunately he has control of the domain names AnonOps.ru (and possibly AnonOps.net, we don't know at this stage) so we are unable to continue using them. We however still have control over AnonOps.in, and will continue to publish news there.

We would STRONGLY ADVISE all users to STAY AWAY from AnonOps.net and AnonOps.ru, and they should be considered COMPROMISED. Using or connecting to any service on those addresses may put your computer, and by extension your person, at risk.

We will continue to update you on this story, as well as on how we proceed with the future of Anonops.

We are profoundly sorry for this drama, and we can't give you a an estimate on when service will resume normally.

Alas, the IRC-network will probably remain down until we can sort this out.

We will try to keep you up to date you via our official channel (anonops.in).
    Signed,
    The "Old" AnonOps netstaff.
    "****storm", "Nerdo","owen","blergh", and "Power2All"

P.S: Further notices on AnonOps.net/ru will probably be posted to dispell this one, and any unavailablity of AnonOps.in will only prove this message is true. THIS IS NOT A JOKE, THIS ISN'T A LIE, THIS IS THE TRUTH AND WE ARE SORRY FOR THAT.

P.P.S: The person behind this attack is also involved in the "new" Encyclopedia Dramatica (encyclopediadramatica.ch) . If you have previously signed up as a user with a legitimate email-address/password, you should take caution and consider that your account and password *might* be compromised.
    tl;dr:

AnonOps.ru/net got hijacked by a rogue admin, and no longer has anything to do with AnonOps, this domain should NOT be used if you wish to connect to the legitimate AnonOps network. Please use anonops.in instead. Sorry!

Anonymous hacking theselves irony much

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Bull****, Sony has so no one has had their credit card details compromised yet, you must be the only one in the world. So some proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Predator_ wrote: »
    Bull****, Sony has so no one has had their credit card details compromised yet, you must be the only one in the world. So some proof
    He never said it was compromised. He said they are 'recommending' it

Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Predator_ wrote: »

There were 25 accounts from ireland compromised from the online division, the facebook games etc. This could be the fallout from that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement