Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Maternity Hospital skin-to-skin

• 04-04-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had a baby in CUHM recently and if so does anyone know the following (assuming all goes well of course)

can you have immediate skin-to-skin contact with your baby?

how long do they leave the baby with you like that before they need to weigh him/her etc.?

Any help would be really appreciated, first time mom to be which is probably obvious by the questions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

According to the tv programme 'From Here to Maternity' they do promote skin to skin. I wouldn't get too caught up on how long for. I was so completely exhausted that I could only hold him for a couple of minutes and then gave him to his dad to hold and introduce himself to. We had lots of skin to skin when we were together on the ward later that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

According to the tv programme 'From Here to Maternity' they do promote skin to skin. I wouldn't get too caught up on how long for. I was so completely exhausted that I could only hold him for a couple of minutes and then gave him to his dad to hold and introduce himself to. We had lots of skin to skin when we were together on the ward later that day.

i was in the CUMH, and honestly i too was so exhausted i wasn't able to fully appreciate it, her dad was the first to hold her and (As far as i remember) he held her for the first few hours skin to skin.

later on (when i woke up ) my daughter and i had some skin to skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

hey, you can ask for uninterupted skin to skin up to the first feed which is anywhere from 20mins to an hour. then you can give baby to dad or put in cot so you can get some rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi,
    I did get skin to skin, they do promote it, but they do need to check the baby etc which I think in my case had to happen first because they had to suction her airways due to meconium. But don't worry you will get it for sure, and if not do ask. I think they like to do it particularly if you are planning on breast feeding.
    However as the others said you will prob be a bit out of it between drugs and/or exhaustion!!

Advertisement