Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how long to leave a coil in a cow?

• 04-04-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

just wondering does anyone no how long a coil should be left in a cow.

package says remove after 7 days.

vet says remove after 8-9 days. and i see on the internet they are saying 12days.

any advice greatfully accepted.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

cattle man wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone no how long a coil should be left in a cow.

package says remove after 7 days.

vet says remove after 8-9 days. and i see on the internet they are saying 12days.

any advice greatfully accepted.:)

Sounds like you might need a bit less advice cattle man!

What will you do if someone says 10-11 days ? You will then have a choice of 7-12 days!

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

LostCovey wrote: »
    Sounds like you might need a bit less advice cattle man!

What will you do if someone says 10-11 days ? You will then have a choice of 7-12 days!

LC

ya taught that myself might go with 9 days somewhere in the middle.

thanks anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

cattle man wrote: »
    ya taught that myself might go with 9 days somewhere in the middle.

thanks anyway:)

I would go with the advice from the manufacturer to be honest.

There are so many brands that the vet or the internet forums might be thinking of another model.

LC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP, why was the coil in her? Is it a problem cow that needed vet treatment or do you just want to short cycle her so that you can ai her without watching her?

If it's a problem cow I'd leave it in a longer time and give her receptol at ai, she may not go in calf this time, but hopefully will cycle ok in 3 weeks. I am open to correction on this!!

Is it a PRID?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we normally inject with estrumate on day 10 and remove coil on day 11 0r 12 she should be bulling in day 13 hopefully

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hi OP, why was the coil in her? Is it a problem cow that needed vet treatment or do you just want to short cycle her so that you can ai her without watching her?

If it's a problem cow I'd leave it in a longer time and give her receptol at ai, she may not go in calf this time, but hopefully will cycle ok in 3 weeks. I am open to correction on this!!

Is it a PRID?

well no real problem with her just was trying to get tighter calving pattern and was using twice a day suckling with great success cows came in heat after 6 weeks post calving. only left with one cow which didnt come inheat and want to get her ai d soon calved 10 weeks now.

so have had a prid in her sense last monday week so soon time to remove just not sure when to do it.

whelan1 wrote: »
    we normally inject with estrumate on day 10 and remove coil on day 11 0r 12 she should be bulling in day 13 hopefully

vet said no need for any injection. does that work on the same principle as the pmsg when sponging sheep and led to multiple births.

we us pmsg and sponges with sheep every year and often have few triplets by using the pmsg. dont need cow with triplets :D

Advertisement