Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30% HL french pre result

• 04-04-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ok, only got my mock back today.
    ..What can i do to get it up to 45% ?

Ordinary level aint an option and my teacher hasnt said much only "look through your mistakes" .....seriously, bitta help? Any actual guarantees in the paper that i can focus on? At this stage, what could save me? :rolleyes:

Oral next week and have done feck all cause ive been caught up in pres and projects over the last month! Ugh ! Help!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Was that in the written paper?

You can definitely up your grade. For the composition it really is a matter of learning your verbs and phrases. Take a verb a night, get it perfect. With a good base of verbs you can bluff your way through any situation. Also make sure to know all your opinion phrases, I will post everything I know up soon.

As far as the comprehensions go, it isn't necessarily about being able to understand it all, which few people can, but it is about using intelligent guessing and being able to spot where they give you answers. Look at the question. If they're asking you "Where", find a place. If they're looking for points of information, find facts. If asked to pick out the words to indicate a phrase, try to decipher the phrase and find something in the paragraph that describes it. The ones you answer in English are harder, but if you have a basic knowledge of what is being said, you can make some good stabs at it.

ALWAYS remember, the title, subheading, and picture are not there for decoration, they are there to help you get a feel for what is being said! Sub in words you don't understand for others that make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Who cares. ... You don't need a degree to be on the dole like most people are a
    nyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Was that in the written paper?

You can definitely up your grade. For the composition it really is a matter of learning your verbs and phrases. Take a verb a night, get it perfect. With a good base of verbs you can bluff your way through any situation. Also make sure to know all your opinion phrases, I will post everything I know up soon.

As far as the comprehensions go, it isn't necessarily about being able to understand it all, which few people can, but it is about using intelligent guessing and being able to spot where they give you answers. Look at the question. If they're asking you "Where", find a place. If they're looking for points of information, find facts. If asked to pick out the words to indicate a phrase, try to decipher the phrase and find something in the paragraph that describes it. The ones you answer in English are harder, but if you have a basic knowledge of what is being said, you can make some good stabs at it.

ALWAYS remember, the title, subheading, and picture are not there for decoration, they are there to help you get a feel for what is being said! Sub in words you don't understand for others that make sense.

Thanks :) I did very bad in the listening. Very ashamed to be honest .. Any point in trying to improve that? I was always bad at it!
    See, i thought i did great in the comprehensions when i finished the exam and i got it back, had a look, 60/120 ....i was shocked!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The listening is damn tough. Best thing to do is listen to French, any French. You don't necessarily have to know what you are listening to but you'll get a better ear for the language. We're all struggling with the listening too but I'm starting to listen to exams at home and I'm slowly going from a fail, to a D, to a highish C. Practice makes perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

i'm in 5th year and i hate the listenings. i'm not bad at them, i just dislike them because even if you hear a word, if you dont know it you're stuck. :( my teacher uses a website for listening with us and gives us homework with it sometimes. its called 7 jours sur la planete, look it up, its good! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hey guys. Sorry i havent been on for a while. Thanks everyone. Great advice and ill certainly take it on board:)

Advertisement