Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting at night

• 04-04-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Hi, heading to New York and Vegas next week and would like some tips on getting good photos of the skylines at night.

I have a Sony DSC-H9 so do have some manual control over the settings, but results from night time shots of lights (funfairs etc) always seem to be very grainy. So any advice would be appreciated as it would be great to get some good night time shots of NYC and Vegas.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Your photos are grainy because the camera automatically ramps up the ISO in low light, It does this to keep shutter speeds short, hence reducing camera shake. High ISO values result in noisy (grainy) images.
    You need to manually set the ISO to a low value and use longer shutter speeds. You will need to use a tripod or rest your camera on a stable surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Cheers, thanks for that.
    Never bothered with a tripod before because of the hassle of carrying it around, but I might see if I can get one of those small ones and if there's a place to set it up, then great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can buy a Gorillapod, really small and helps you get a decent picture or long exposure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks for that.
    Never bothered with a tripod before because of the hassle of carrying it around, but I might see if I can get one of those small ones and if there's a place to set it up, then great.

Some sort of tripod is a MUST for night time shooting with anything over 1/100th second. I know it's hassle bringing a tripod on holidays but as mentioned you can get small portable gorilla tripods which will allow you shoot much better night time shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A lot of places wont allow tripods in Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Borderfox wrote: »
    You can buy a Gorillapod, really small and helps you get a decent picture or long exposure

I have one of the bigger ones but it's not great with the DSLR as the weight of the lens causes it to dip slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Hi, heading to New York and Vegas next week and would like some tips on getting good photos of the skylines at night.

I have a Sony DSC-H9 so do have some manual control over the settings, but results from night time shots of lights (funfairs etc) always seem to be very grainy. So any advice would be appreciated as it would be great to get some good night time shots of NYC and Vegas.

Thanks

Here's some night shots taken in London over the weekend. Shot in M mode on a Canon S95. Rested it on walls, bins, etc. Not too bad considering. But a mini tripod or gorillapod would have been handy. Left the 40D at home as the forecast was bad - borrowed the S95 from my daughter. Have to say I was impressed with its image performance and ease of use (and of course its portability).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Lean it on the ledge! (tripods not allowed in Empire State)
    2600704355_5c555bedfd.jpg

On the streets, especially Times Square, its so bright you wont even need that slow a shutter speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

That's a hell of a shot there xshayx! Really impressive.

Advertisement