Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train, melb to syd, any use?

Options
  • 05-04-2011 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody

Im planning on heading from Melbourne to Sydney for the Easter weekend and was wondering what the train ride is like? Is it scenic at all and something you would recommend or am i better of flying?

Cheers
    Munky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I've considered taking a train a number of times, but then I look at the details..... almost 12 hours, and costs ~130 dollars 1 way. Can fly for cheaper and is way quicker.

Can't comment on the scenery unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm considering going to Sydney as well for a few days over the Easter break as well to visit family providing I can get that weekend off work which may be hard. Virgin Blue have return flights for Sat evening at around 7ish & back 2 Melbourne on Monday evening at around the the same time for just under $200 return which isn't bad. Beats 12hrs each way on a bus anyways. Virgin blue are a good airline I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I know that flying is cheaper and quicker but what about what your missing (or may be missing) on the ground? I am only considering the train if it means ill see some scenic australia!
    Every driven through New Zealand? Amazing countryside, missed by the plane, although the view of the mountains, covered in snow, from above is quite amazing to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I know that flying is cheaper and quicker but what about what your missing (or may be missing) on the ground? I am only considering the train if it means ill see some scenic australia!
    Every driven through New Zealand? Amazing countryside, missed by the plane, although the view of the mountains, covered in snow, from above is quite amazing to :)

12hrs is a bit too uncomfortable to go for the scenic option (in my opinion)
    I know people who got the bus as was only $50 for them afterwards they said never again

said it was nice for the first 2 hrs, but that long cracked them up and gave them sore legs/back etc ... the train might be a bit different, but 12hrs is a long time .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Looks pretty basic...
    http://seat61.com/Australia.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

I did this trip in February, but I took the overnight train. Train was due to leave at 6, but due to track upgrades we had to take a bus from southern cross station for 3 hours and then the train. The bus left at 6, and the views along the way were quite nice. We did not get to see much of the views along the way on the train as it was quite dark.

We travelled one way with Countrylink, and it cost $91.18 each.

The seats where quite comfortable, they reclined and had a fold down table infront. The only thing is the seats where assigned, and they do come around to check you are sitting in the correct seat. (This usually would not be a problem, only we had a guy who insisted on talking on the top of his voice the whole night through, and we couldn't move).

The food on the train was also quite nice and ok price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I have been extremely sorry for the last 10years!

I had looked at taking the train from Perth to Melborne. Cancelled the plan as it was a three day journey and three times the price of a flight.

Am kicking myself as I sit here that I didnt do it. I recon it would have been a right story to tell sitting by a smokey fire one night!

As for NZ on my must do list is the Silverstream/Overlander train journey from Auckland down to Marton (I have done the Marton to Wellington stretch for the craic.) I have had a love of trains since I was a five year old recording engine numbers as they went past my house (I know :() I also would love to do the one in the South Island.

The enginerring on those tracks is suppose to be amazing with the Viaduct and the Spiral in the National Park being some of the biggest feats ever designed at the time they where built. It is kinda sad that the only reason the Overlander still runs is for the tourist market due to speed and cost of flights/cars.

The Uncle and Aunt in Ireland have reguarly used the train to Auckland to get to the airport after a few months out at my folks place.

Advertisement